Do you remember the first time?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

steveh31

Registered Shopper
As the title suggests do you remember the first time you saw Bid-up.tv or Price-Drop.tv or Speed Auction?

My earliest memories are probably of Eric & Ernie the gavel and block titles and I seem to recall Sophia Raffat (or letter box mouth as we called her) and Adam Freeman (shame on you letting your Yorkshire accent disappear) and Elisa and John Hammond's flirting and of course Jenny Harrison and her, what I thought, was a strange relationship she had with Andy.

I don't know which one was on first but I enjoyed watching them all.

Whatever happened to Jenny Harrison?

I discovered bid about 18 months ago when I was in bed with flu. I never watch shopping channels but I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like watching real life market trader con men in action. It was bizarrely fascinating. Not only the presenters selling antics and lies or the companies dirty tactics but also the fact that there were obviously gullible people who were falling for it all and buying the highly overpriced rubbish. I thought James Russel was very boring (until I realised that he was smirking when he was telling his lies). I thought Mike was like a dodgy used car salesman (although I grew to quite like him and his 'cuddle') and I thought Peter Simon was a strange old man (but he was recovering from his illness at the time). The others made no impression and I didn't notice them really until Id watched it a good few times. I mostly watched it in ad breaks and when I wanted to switch off from work (a nonsense stupid thing to do but it was strangely addictive). I didn't bother with Price Drop much so I guess it was bids presenters that I was fascinated with which says a lot really.

Edit: I thought Andy Hodgson was very funny and wasted on shopping tv.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back