could a bidding format tv shopping channel still work?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
I have to be honest, as I've said in other topics I tend to think the writing is on the wall for all shopping telly as the years roll by and the e-tech generation reach adulthood. to them, shopping online will be so second nature I query if there'll be sufficient numbers of that generation to sustain shopping telly, could be completely wrong of course :mysmilie_11:

however, that aside, do you think a channel along the lines of bid format wise (pre last 2-3 years!) could be viable if one were launched now? if the products were of decent quality and the p&p varied depending on the weight/value of the item, oh and with half decent presenters that didn't spout bull, could the format of 'bidding' for items on a price decreasing basis work, or, regardless of the aforementioned, is there simply no money in that format any more for the company behind the venture due to cheap online retailers etc etc? i.e. is the only way to make it work there days to sell cheap rubbish with inflated p&p to make the profit?

Last edited:
I have a strong feeling that there will be a new version of Bid Shopping, the way the presenters are still claiming it was good and they loved it makes me think that they think a replacement will happen and they want a job on it.

They will need a Freeview slot, find a format that keeps p&p and telephone calls low while still making a profit.

I said in January they should have closed for a week or two and got everything sorted not rushed into it.

Anything is possible, really. QVC has continued to grow year on year with no signs of stopping, Ideal World as a business is as healthy as it's ever been and often forgotten Gems TV isn't just one of the fastest growing TV broadcasters, but the fastest growing private companies in all of the UK. I don't think the shopping tv format is going to die, regardless of the existance of online shopping.

I always thought the bidding up system that Bid TV originally had was genius from a business stand-point. 50p each time just for the /chance/ of buying, with customers willingingly raising the price. Heck, the way most people think would mean that after one or two 50p phone calls, they would feel invested enough to want to pay over what they originally wanted. This is probably the idea that went into Price Drop's new format, but with a more "ethical" twist (no charge just to "bid"), while the channel (like the original Bid-Up) chose when to "close" the sale (or ****-can it entirely).

Could it work again? Given the current market in shopping tv and the new gap in said market for faster moving non-QVC-esque shopping tv; it can most definitely work. That said, Bid TV cancelled their traditional auctions back when they were at their peak, and never returned to them, so the idea might not have been very profitable to begin with.

I have a strong feeling that there will be a new version of Bid Shopping, the way the presenters are still claiming it was good and they loved it makes me think that they think a replacement will happen and they want a job on it.

They will need a Freeview slot, find a format that keeps p&p and telephone calls low while still making a profit.

I said in January they should have closed for a week or two and got everything sorted not rushed into it.

If a new channel launches and it's little more than a polished turd version of Bid then it will surely go the same way and go bust.

I think the whole premise of Bid was tired and dated, great for the early noughties but desperately irrelevant for 2014.

But I fancy several other shopping channels will also struggle in the next few years too.

I think yes, an auction channel would work in this current climate as long as who ever sets it up does a lot of homework and can afford to buy decent stock.

I think yes, an auction channel would work in this current climate as long as who ever sets it up does a lot of homework and can afford to buy decent stock.

And it would have to be run by a reputable company too. We all know that in the later years Bid wasn't really a 'falling price' channel as such. It may have appeared so but when you had preposterous starting prices that fell at whatever speed they liked then it was nothing more than a fixed price, give or take a few bob. And the stupid games that MacDonald revelled in were atrocious, the avalanches were so stilted in their favour that they had zero credibility.

But maybe a channel along the lines of the old Bid Up could work (as they OP asked) but I think it would be fraught with risk for any owner if they didn't get a decent sized audience. It could cost them a lot of money initially until they earned some customer loyalty.

When the price drops they still have total control but when it rises they have none unless there's a reserve, relying on the skill of the host to whip up some bids is risky!

I think the style of Bid/PD won't work in its old format. A complete re brand, new presenters, not keeping any of the old ones as they would soon drift backwards. Then, get decent products, at good prices with fair P & P and better phone rates. Don't rip off with shonky deals where there are only a few items, but rip off customers for the cost of the futile call. Don't use vouchers. Remember even a big chain like Argos TV only recently closed on shopping TV. The new owners are probably working on a rebirth and will I expect to open another channel some time soon. It will need a USP which most other shopping channels don't have. I can't see them surviving even with a big relaunch. Shopping TV has become / becoming a dying breed. Internet has a lot to do with it. If I can order something from Hong Kong on Thursday, and get it delivered the following Tuesday, that will do for me. Sad to conclude the end is coming to more similar channels. Another problem was the extent of air time. Far to many hours on the same old stuff gets boring and less likely to keep viewers interested. I had it on in the background for a bit of talk TV but there are plenty more for me to choose from. Won't miss any of them - sad to say. :mysmilie_3: As I was often told at school - could do better - has potential but needs commitment. For Bid/PD its to late.

Believe me yes it could still EASILY 100% work.......The reason I joined this forum was after seeing a few old dears bank statements through part of my employment (sadly now dead rip) And I couldn't help but notice Direct Debits for, QVC, Ideal World, Bid, etc you get the pic......So I watched these shopping channels as an OAP would and sadly its all far to easy for a lonely OAP to be taken in day in day out and believe they need this product or that product, As long as we have Pete Simons and Mike Masons around Shopping TV isn't over for a very long time!

PS as a side issue don't get me wrong I have saw a few great deals in the past on shopping tv but sadly the pro's are greatly out weighted by the cons as its all to easily done on TV.

Anything is possible, really. QVC has continued to grow year on year with no signs of stopping, Ideal World as a business is as healthy as it's ever been and often forgotten Gems TV isn't just one of the fastest growing TV broadcasters, but the fastest growing private companies in all of the UK.

Gems TV can't really be compared to other auction TV stations.

The way they work is fairly niche.

Their products are made in-house. They cut and facet their gemstones themselves. They set them into jewellery themselves. They have special relationship with gemstone mine owners. Therefore, there are no middle men which means their costs are low - and nobody compete. Not just other TV stations, but jewellers in general.

Anyone that can make their own products and sell them directly will always have success.

In answer to the OP, in my opinion, the only way the format will work is by being able compete with the Internet - companies like Amazon. Bid TV couldn't / wouldn't, and that's what killed them off.

For it to be successful, it needs the following:

1. An offshore parent company in a tax haven - similar to Amazon being based in Switzerland. If customers order through, for example, a Swiss company, then the company only has to pay 2% tax rather than the higher UK tax rates. That enables them to have lower prices.

2. The owners needs to have plenty of money to buy good quality stock in bulk. If they buy in bulk from suppliers, they'll get big discounts that can be passed on to customers. Again, that's how the big online companies work.

3. Phone calls for ordering need to be free (or local rate so that people can call free from their landline / mobile free minute allowance).

4. Postage needs to be competitive - with a free slower-delivery option too. Again, same as Amazon.

5. Products need to be good quality and/or branded. If they can offer a good quality product, people will buy it. If it's cheap, flimsy, plastic tat, people won't buy it.

6. Products need to be unique and appealing. People aren't going to buy unbranded glues and shampoos. They can get them from a super market in their weekly shop for a couple of pounds. They can also get cheap unbranded clothing from super markets too. Offer something more niche or unique, that they can't obtain easily from elsewhere, people will buy it.

7. Presenters need to be appealing, funny but informative. Providing useful, factual, information. Yelling "get this now, it's amazing, I've got one at home. Quick, the phone lines are busy" or claiming a Taiwanese watch is made in Switzerland is an instant turn off. We're not stupid - so don't tell us lies or patronise us. Be polite and factual, and we'll respect you and then buy on merit.

Last edited:
Gems TV can't really be compared to other auction TV stations.

The way they work is fairly niche.

Their products are made in-house. They cut and facet their gemstones themselves. They set them into jewellery themselves. They have special relationship with gemstone mine owners. Therefore, there are no middle men which means their costs are low - and nobody compete. Not just other TV stations, but jewellers in general.

Anyone that can make their own products and sell them directly will always have success.

I think Gems TV is an all round class act. I like how Steve does a bit of the presenting too.

I think Gems TV is an all round class act. I like how Steve does a bit of the presenting too.

I agree - and their products are good quality. Even their under £20 rings are good quality.

They do things the right way - offering good quality products at excellent prices with a superb customer service. It guarantees repeat custom - and that's where the money is. Companies make more money from repeat customers than they do one-offs that have just bought by tuning in once.

That's another area where Bid failed. They didn't look after ANY of their customers.

I agree - and their products are good quality. Even their under £20 rings are good quality.

They do things the right way - offering good quality products at excellent prices with a superb customer service. It guarantees repeat custom - and that's where the money is. Companies make more money from repeat customers than they do one-offs that have just bought by tuning in once.

That's another area where Bid failed. They didn't look after ANY of their customers.

I'd go so far to say that Bid often treated their customers with complete and utter contempt.

And they paid for it, as they always would :mysmilie_59:

Great replies! There's a bit of me thinks whilst some channels might be on the up trend wise, there will be a peak then popularity will start to decrease across the board. It's a bit like (well not really but i'll make the point anyway!) structured tv listings, there's a growing consensus that, as more folk seek on demand tv content the structured listing will become less relevant. Suppose my point is everything has its day ... even x factor will be cut one day ... hopefully soon!

I 'do' feel sorry to an extent for customers that fall prey to these channels then again consumers of all ages fall prey to retailers of all descriptions. I remember on the apprentice a few years back they had a shopping tv task and one of team members was shot down for daring to suggest the core audience is retired / older kept woman with too much time on their hands. I thought that was a given although the buying demographic has maybe changed in recent years.

i'd like to see some sort of 'bid' channel back on air as i'm already missing watching bid/price drop in-between decent telly... it was for me so bad it was good ... maybe 'not' a good thing for anything on telly that wants to survive!?!

Great replies! There's a bit of me thinks whilst some channels might be on the up trend wise, there will be a peak then popularity will start to decrease across the board.

And that's where the product lifecycle comes in ;)

PLC.jpg

Latest posts

Back