suggestions to keep nails/cuticles clean

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
The gardening season is here and even though I wear gloves my nails end up looking dirty especially around the cuticles. I am also using a barrier hand cream. Any suggestions as to how to clean my cuticles or keep them clean without involving too much water? The Leighton Denny product 'Slick tips' is quite good but expensive

Clean them with good old almond oil and cotton wool pads. Many branded nail and hand products have almond oil as the main ingredient so cut to the chase and buy a simple bottle of unadulterated almond oil from the like of Holland and Barrett and soak your pad with it then clean your nails and cuticles.

An old trick my Granny used to use was olive oil and granulated sugar she used to warm the oil until it was as hot as her hands could stand it then mix in the sugar to make a stiff paste then spend the next 10 minuets massaging it in to her hands and nails she would then wrap them up in a warm towel for half an hour. Then rinse off with soap and warm. water. It used to work every time.
I must remember to give it a try.

My Dad used to dig his nails into a soft bar of soap so that it caught under his nails the any soil would wash away easily. (My mum used to complain about the soap though!)

LOL Akimbo, I had forgotten about digging my nails into the soap bar, I used to do that. Perhaps someone taught me to do that. I might have a go doing that before I go to the allotment so that the dirt doesn't get too deep under the nails

I make a scrub from almond oil and sugar. And l use Lush's lemony flutter around my cuticles before my gardening gloves to act as a barrier.

can recommend good old-fashioned vaseline (petroleum jelly) - rub under nails/around cuticles before gardening, then rub all around again, wash off afterwards with soap. Always works for me!

Latest posts

Back