Has Gems TV made a big mistake? You decide

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

earwig

Registered Shopper
Mrs Earwig and I were watching my favourite presenter (he's my favourite for all the wrong reasons) Peter Simon the other night and she said 'that idiot is gonna bring this poor channel to its knees', I think she could be right.....
http://youtu.be/BPXw1vJdL_I

OH dear Oh dear, what is he on?
What an over reaction to a cheep ring.
Who on earth thought he would "work" selling jewellry ?
All I would want to do if I happened upon him when chanell hopping is move on very quickly

It looks as though he's wearing bicycle clips in that clip. If he is, and my eyes weren't deceiving me, then why?

Answers on a postcard please. :wink:

I don't normally watch Gems TV or buy anything, I never will buy anything on it. But I will watch Peter Simon for the Car Crash Telly experience he is! He may trying to control it right now but after few weeks of the same old crap, I expect to see lots of the stuff he was well known for on Bid creep in (OK a lot of it is there already) and Gems might not be too happy about some car crashes we all know and love him for! :mysmilie_14:

He is the Selly Telly Clown!

Baffling decision by the Bennetts.

A professional, well run, generally trustworthy channel being made to look unprofessional and tacky during the hours of 11pm to 3am.

He's brought all his Bid Tv antics over with him - and he doesn't fit in with Gems style at all.

Does seem odd that Gems think he's right for them, he waffles on and on about the item without telling me anything useful, carat weight, gram weight, cut or clarity. Add some less than professional antics and I'm left feeling that, he doesn't give the right image of a professionally run company (imo).

Last edited:
Thing is, one of their other channels, Jewellerymaker, is going the same way - professsionalism out of the window, certain presenters acting like they are on something, "singing" at every opportunity, squelling, shouting, braying and snorting - I just can't watch it any more unless it's muted. It seems to be company policy now to behave like that - even presenters who were previously calm, informative and easy to listen to are now following this manic approach - grim viewing.

The man is an idiot. I switch over if he is on - shame to inflict such antics on the (presumably diminishing) viewing public.

Fantastic move by gems - Peter Simon probably the best, greatest shopping telly presenter out there. Using a football analogy, it's like signing Cristiano Ronaldo. Amazing coup by gems getting the cream of the cream. Massive well done.

The other day he was selling this low priced, Mother of Pearl Sterling Silver Necklace, a perfectly fine product. However, the number of times Peter merely said 'Pearl' was very noticeable, much like he used to merely call Gold Plated metals 'Gold'. He even said (I paraphrase) 'If you've ever promised yourself a Pearl Necklace ..........'

Don't get me wrong, you'd have to be exceptionally unaware not to know that the necklace was patently not 'Pearl' but nevertheless it seems that old habits die hard with Dirty Peter.

I wonder how he's getting on with his gem studies in preparation for his examinations?

Motherofpearl.jpg

The other day he was selling this low priced, Mother of Pearl Sterling Silver Necklace, a perfectly fine product. However, the number of times Peter merely said 'Pearl' was very noticeable, much like he used to merely call Gold Plated metals 'Gold'. He even said (I paraphrase) 'If you've ever promised yourself a Pearl Necklace ..........'

Don't get me wrong, you'd have to be exceptionally unaware not to know that the necklace was patently not 'Pearl' but nevertheless it seems that old habits die hard with Dirty Peter.

I wonder how he's getting on with his gem studies in preparation for his examinations?

View attachment 10474

He was truly shocking last night - and it's only a matter of time before the ASA complaints start rolling in.

He sold a Tanzanite ring - and then said that it was "the rarest of the Gemstones". No, it isn't. Try looking for a Bixbite stone anywhere. That's rare. Tanzanite is on sale every day, all over the country.

He also sold a Padparasdsha colour Quartz ring. Not once did he state it was "Padparadscha colour" - he simply stated it was a Padparadsha. All of the other presenters clearly state that it is Padparadsha colour Quartz - so why can't he? He also said "it was the real Mccoy". No, it isn't. It's coloured Quartz. Padparadsha is the name of rare Sapphire - whereas Padparadscha-colour quartz is coated Quartz. Quartz is that common, you could probably find some in your street. They are two VERY completely different things.

His clumsyness and erratic style of presenting results in him making some very misleading quotes (I don't think he genuinely means to mislead - he's just clumsy and seems more concerned on using his crappy 1980's "comedy" act and clumsy old man image to sell things rather than accurate descriptions of products).

I think Steve Bennett may have taken note of all the complaints they've had on the Gemporia Facebook page and Steve's own Facebook page now because Steve admitted on-air last night that he's asked Peter Simon to "tone it down". He also made a strong point of telling him to pronounce Minas Gerais Kunzite properly - rather than Mirers Gerais Kunzite that PS kept saying. Peter seemed a little narked by that responding with "you travel the world - I've been to Scarborough and <somewhere else>." - using that as an excuse for not knowing Gem names.

Simple way around that Pete - read the words properly. MiNas Gerais clearly has a "N" in it - not an "R". Labradorite is clearly longer than Labradite - and Prasiolite has an "S" in it - not a "Y" - it's not called Prayiolite. That's just downright clumsyness.

He needs to learn to read descriptions properly - and stop saying ridiculous things. If unsure, don't say anything. Using guesswork or making things up is going to result in problems for what is otherwise a very good, trustworthy, channel.

He was truly shocking last night - and it's only a matter of time before the ASA complaints start rolling in.

He sold a Tanzanite ring - and then said that it was "the rarest of the Gemstones". No, it isn't. Try looking for a Bixbite stone anywhere. That's rare. Tanzanite is on sale every day, all over the country.

He also sold a Padparasdsha colour Quartz ring. Not once did he state it was "Padparadscha colour" - he simply stated it was a Padparadsha. All of the other presenters clearly state that it is Padparadsha colour Quartz - so why can't he? He also said "it was the real Mccoy". No, it isn't. It's coloured Quartz. Padparadsha is the name of rare Sapphire - whereas Padparadscha-colour quartz is coated Quartz. Quartz is that common, you could probably find some in your street. They are two VERY completely different things.

His clumsyness and erratic style of presenting results in him making some very misleading quotes (I don't think he genuinely means to mislead - he's just clumsy and seems more concerned on using his crappy 1980's "comedy" act and clumsy old man image to sell things rather than accurate descriptions of products).

I think Steve Bennett may have taken note of all the complaints they've had on the Gemporia Facebook page and Steve's own Facebook page now because Steve admitted on-air last night that he's asked Peter Simon to "tone it down". He also made a strong point of telling him to pronounce Minas Gerais Kunzite properly - rather than Mirers Gerais Kunzite that PS kept saying. Peter seemed a little narked by that responding with "you travel the world - I've been to Scarborough and <somewhere else>." - using that as an excuse for not knowing Gem names.

Simple way around that Pete - read the words properly. MiNas Gerais clearly has a "N" in it - not an "R". Labradorite is clearly longer than Labradite - and Prasiolite has an "S" in it - not a "Y" - it's not called Prayiolite. That's just downright clumsyness.

He needs to learn to read descriptions properly - and stop saying ridiculous things. If unsure, don't say anything. Using guesswork or making things up is going to result in problems for what is otherwise a very good, trustworthy, channel.

Wow:mysmilie_13:

Well I should say, quite openly, that jewellery is not something i'm so knowledgeable in, far from it. In fact from reading your posts it's clear i'm not even remotely as knowledgeable as you WSG however, it's pretty clear that neither is Peter Simon despite his 'i've worked with jewellery for nigh on 20 (or whatever amount of years he says these days).

Hopefully he is studying and he'll achieve accreditation because, from what i've seen, he's being every bit as disingenuous and not providing facts just like he did on Bid.

But to be totally fair I haven't seen that much of him on Gems TV, maybe I just tuned in at a bad time :mysmilie_59:

Blue Diamonds are the rarest of the gemstones tonight.

Strange. Last night, it was Tanzanite.

You're right about his studying. Sadly though, I don't think it'll make any difference. His sales patter lacks anything of any worth. He has the same sales line for everything "You've got the shoes. You've got the dress. You can wear it at the restaurant. You can wear it at the ball room. Not only can you see the green. Not only can you see the pinks. The oranges. The purples."

I'm baffled how this guy got a job on Gems.

On a positive note, he's just said that you can get this ring delivered between 3 to 6 to 4 days.

Blue Diamonds are the rarest of the gemstones tonight.

Strange. Last night, it was Tanzanite.

You're right about his studying. Sadly though, I don't think it'll make any difference. His sales patter lacks anything of any worth. He has the same sales line for everything "You've got the shoes. You've got the dress. You can wear it at the restaurant. You can wear it at the ball room. Not only can you see the green. Not only can you see the pinks. The oranges. The purples."

I'm baffled how this guy got a job on Gems.

On a positive note, he's just said that you can get this ring delivered between 3 to 6 to 4 days.

Oh I just posted in the other thread WSG, he talks complete irrelevant nonsense.

The man is ludicrous.

:mysmilie_19: Just got in from work, switched Gems on, oh dear, he's just called Andalusite, Andalusiasite and said "look at the blue" on a pair of up and coming Kalomo Amethyst earrings which are PURPLE, PETER, PURPLE, .::mysmilie_19:

It's 'nice' to see that NOTHING about this man has changed.

except he is managing to manipulate jewellery fans who probably don't know as much about jewellery as they would like to.

Though maybe they enjoy being told a bullsh#t story about the item, so they can relay said bullsh#t story to others.

Latest posts

Back