Overweight Presenters

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Atticus

Registered Shopper
Does anyone find it slightly odd that Ideal World has so many overweight presenters? It seems by far that more presenters and guests are overweight then compared to any other shopping channel.

The only reason I bring this up is because of the number of health and fitness products they sell. In fact, they seem to have these types of items on more than any other products...whether it be Weight To Go, Vibraplate, Nutribullet or the numerous other fitness and cooking equipment they sell (Actifry, Halogen Ovens, Ceramic Pans etc) all of which they claim have health benefits.

Does anyone else find it odd that a channel with so many health and fitness products has such a high number of overweight presenters and guests?

(I'm thinking especially of the Chefs - all of their chefs are overweight - as such I find it very odd that they spend hours and hours saying how items like the Actifry can cut down on calories...)

A case of do as I say, not as I do.
But then again who would trust a thin chef????????
Plus they do say tv adds pounds and makes you look fatter than you are.

But you're right, it does seem a bit odd - you would expect at least one of them to be slimmer following the healthy lifestyle they are promoting.

Finally, some agreement with what has been bugging me for yonks :) I don't really understand 'don't trust a thin chef', being a chef is about skill with cooking, not throwing as much lard down the throat as possible! I do find it incredibly annoying how so many of the Ideal team are overweight, Paul Brodel is one of the worst and is just humungous. It would be easier for people to be less critical of my opinion on fat presenters if it were compared to skincare; all of the guests for skincare come on tv and boast their amazing skin, Elizabeth Grant and her youthful appearance, Linda Lusardi and here amazing skin, can you imagine a guest with skincare coming on tv with massive spots and blemishes, wrinkles and pock marks? We wouldn't take it seriously at all and the cream would not sell. Yet Paul, Joe, Loen and Dennice for a start off, bang on about Actifry, blenders, juicers, air fryers et al yet all they seem to do is get bigger and bigger.

TV is supposed to be aspirational, I find the fat crew on IW such a put off, I think to myself, why buy xxx or yyy that you are pimping, it obviously hasn't done a thing for you and you are standing there telling me you use it!!! Rick, on the other hand, comes on, looks like he hasn't got an ounce of fat on him, and I do feel like he can be trusted. Simples.

I also think it's a bit rich of Joe and his pals to be going on about the importance of lean cooking. maybe they do practice what they preach but just eat too much lean food?.

However, being overweight is one thing that nobody, not even me, can accuse The Gollum of. It's only a rumour so I don't know if it's fact or not but I heard he follows a strictly controlled diet.

Strictly controlled by his puppet mistress :mysmilie_59:

I'd also like to ask where they get away with saying that one of their diets, of 850 calories a day, is ok. Generally accepted MEDICAL guidelines is never to go below 1200 calories a day without medical guidance????

I'd also like to ask where they get away with saying that one of their diets, of 850 calories a day, is ok. Generally accepted MEDICAL guidelines is never to go below 1200 calories a day without medical guidance????

whoever said that is crazy.

It's not so much calories but the quality of the food you're eating that's important.
I love how they tout a low fat diet - when low fat products tend to include greater amounts of sugar and other questionable ingredients...

They do very much make out like 'just nip on the plan for a week when you need to' and are very light and easy with it. Diets under 1,000 calories are considered VLCD (very low calorie diet) and should only be done by a certain group of people, for a short time, with sustained medical guidance, not just hop on it when you need to lose a couple of pounds :( Take plenty of time to bang on about how delicous and filling they all are, how you're not deprived or wanting for anything, but take 30 seconds to advise you to speak to your GP........ priorities?

In contrast, i watched Kathy Tayler on QVC selling their Diet chef I think it was, same sort of thing, She was repeatedly saying how to consult your GP before starting the plans, how 2lb was all you should safely lose a week, how you needed to talk to your GP about any concerns while on it, she was almost too much the opposite, although you can never be 'too much' on the precautions of weight loss.

I think it's definitely a conscious decision on their part.... as it makes them more accessible to their core audience of british folks.

Loen Love is a prime example, she almost exists solely on the notion that she is a ''real woman'' and not at all a shrewd saleswoman.

If they read up Ancell Keyes starvation diet on google ....they will see that even 1,500 calories is too low also! ...and low fat diets are a Waste of time inmho ....I'm eating full fat dairy in my diets and most days not stuffing my self with too much rubbish ...because it satiates me more and I'm staying steady ....there is so much mis- guidance and the sad thing is many people are so desperate, they believe the rubbish and end up on a round of yo yo diets ...( not the mint choccy ones bet lol ) that make more weight gain in the end anyway....sorry to rant ..I've just finished a diet and nutrition course and have learned so much ...got a distinction as I am sooo interested in the subject ...:mysmilie_46:

What do you think about the 5:2 diet. I lost 16lbs on it which I have kept off. Finally got OH on it and so far he has lost 10kgs

Latest posts

Back