What do you think on this?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
A friend and her husband and me and my oh every year cook each other a dinner twice a year. They do us a xmas dinner in June, and we do them barbecue stuff in December, but it's not about that. Had the xmas dinner a couple of weeks back, she's a good cook, but dinner tasted a bit bland, especially the gravy. Reached for the salt and pepper, picked up black pepper first and ground a bit on, then picked up what I thought was the salt cellar only to notice it looked like another pepper pot, I said oh, I've got the pepper again, can someone pass the salt. Friend looked at me and said "We don't use salt in this house". Obviously it's a new health kick for them, but really? Do you think this slightly odd/bad form? I know it's up to them each to their own, but I think if it had been me I'd have bought a cheap pot of salt, lets face it, it' costs about 25p at the most to put on the table!

LOL, bring your own next time and surreptitiously use it. I don't cook with salt very often but I am aware that my guests do like salt! Not worth falling out over as sounds like a nice meal

I must admit I don't have any salt in my house but if I had someone coming for dinner that I knew liked salt, like my father I would make sure I had some, I was told to cut out as much salt as I can by my GP as my blood pressure is high, but if other people want to sprinkle it on their food then they are quite entitled to do so, I still like a good curry though and they can be a bit salty :mysmilie_11:

I can't eat quite a lot of the ready meals in the evening as they are too salty for me and I need to drink loads of water. Can't eat Thai food or Chinese food in the evening or sugar as all keep me awake.

I try not to over use salt, but I do add it to my cooking if I'm making food from scratch. If it contains stock cubes that already contain salt I usually don't need to add any, and yes it's on my table and I will use it but only after I've tasted the food first and feel that it needs it, it helps bring out the flavour. I guess it's a bit like cutting down on sugar, you get used to eating less/none. It just seemed a bit strange not to have it on the table for guests to use.

I personally find food tastes very bland without salt in it , yes its bad for you , but i don't see the point of eating something if your not enjoying it.

Years ago I was told I had high BP and promptly put on tablets. I asked the doc how to lower it naturally and duly cut out salt, lost weight took excercise etc. after 4 years I still missed the salt terribly, nothing tasted right so went back to get tablets stopped only to be told that it was the tablets which were doing the good work and would be on them for life! Since then I have used salt when needed, some food really needs it. Years and years ago I was able to cut sugar out completely and can't eat anything too sweet, but love crisps, nuts etc. downside is the tablets cause "toilet" excess problems!

My friend who is on blood pressure tablets takes hers in the morning so at least she doesn't get up in the night

Thanks for all the replies, it does make a bit more sense. Like everybody I'm more that aware that salt isn't good for you, and as I said before I try not to use it to excess, whilst cooking I taste before I salt just in case it doesn't need it, I taste the meal on the table first before add salt and pepper to it in case it doesn't need it, but I'd never heard of anyone cutting it out completely, I've heard of people using that low sodium stuff, my mum tried it once and found it tasted a bit odd, but no salt. Shame though 'cause my friend's lovely meal tasted pretty bland, and whilst they might be used to having no salt in their diet, I just thought it "off" not putting a pot of salt on the table, they could have thrown it out straight after, or used it for something else, killing slugs, clearing ice etc. Funny thing is this lady and her hubby pop Pringles like they're going out of style!

Latest posts

Back