Help From High End Jewellery Buyers Please!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Kitty

AKA Broomstick Babe
Help! My sister has just bought this from Rocks & Co for £799 & wants to know if it's a good deal.

Anyone know please?

18K SI1 (G ) DIAMOND YELLOW GOLD RING

Item Number: 777 312
Quantity: 1
Metal Weight: 18K Yellow Gold 2.34g
Jewellery Type: Ring
Size: N

Gem Details Gem 1
Type: SI1 (G) Diamond
Piece(s): 1
Total Weight: 0.7ct
Size: 5.5mm
Shape: Round
Setting Type: Prong
Origin: Africa

I have bought from this company before (if you visit them in person you get 10% discount or whatever you can negotiate) and the link will lead to a comparable ring if I've done it right!

edit no it didn't work - have a play with the diamond finder and the comparable ring comes up as £1742

Hi Miss Kitty

I saw the ring and it looked fab. This link may answer your sister's question. The company was recommended to me by someone very knowledgable who I trust and I asked their opinion of where a work colleague could get a good value for money engagement ring. I think your sister will be very very happy when she sees the prices and in my humble opinion she got a fantastic bargain! http://www.diamondgeezer.com/shopping/diamond-engagement-rings/viewringdiamonds.php?shape=round&colour=G&clarity=SI1&carat=0.75&sku=44-282293

Lucky sis.....

Hiya Miss Kitty

Using the link to Diamond Geezer, who I can personally recommend for good deals, This is what they were
charging at a VAT free price for a trilogy of same quality diamonds in 18k YG........£861

http://www.diamondgeezer.com/shopping/jewellery-189017-diamond.htm

A solitaire would cost much more for the same carat weight.

Your sis will soon tell if she's happy with the diamond ring, it should be clear to see into, and flash fire as well as heaps of sparkle. There shouldn't be any visible inclusions or carbon spots to the naked eye.......but possibly expect some under magnification.

Also a link to diamond sizes and their comparative carat weights....

http://www.serendipitydiamonds.co.uk/default.asp/p=126

Woweee! Thanks very, very much ladies.

I remembered that some of you were in the know about where to get good value diamonds from. I will give her a call & let her know - she will be over the moon. :32:

Nooooooooooo tell her she paid well over the odds for it and you will take it off her hands for 500 quid just cus you like her :D

Great advice from the ladies so far .......... and even better advice from our Snoops (which personally I'd be tempted to take)!

Just a further word to add, grading (unless accompanied by a GIA certificate) is usually the opinion of the seller. That means that it can vary considerably and his/her SI1 could be somebody elses VS1 or even I2. If you were looking at a GIA SI1, it would normally be eye-clean or the inclusions hidden within the facets.

Most importantly, make sure that your sister's diamond sparkles in all lighting conditions. People make the mistake of testing diamonds under halogens and even dead crappy diamonds will sparkle in that light! The real test is normal daylight.

If the setting allows it, fold a piece of white A4 paper in half and place the diamond ring in the fold. Look at the colour of the diamond - if the diamond looks yellow or has a hint of yellow, then there's a very very good chance it's not a G colour. For a G colour, you shouldn't see any yellow at all. This test is best done with a loose diamond to be accurate but you can get a "feel" for the colour like this.

The price is certainly right for the specs so don't worry about that.

There is one further cool test you can do to a diamond and I'll post it up a bit later - it's a bit of fun but is brilliant to do!

Hope that helps. x

Last edited:
[/B]
Great advice from the ladies so far .......... and even better advice from our Snoops (which personally I'd be tempted to take)!

Just a further word to add, grading (unless accompanied by a GIA certificate) is usually the opinion of the seller. That means that it can vary considerably and his/her SI1 could be somebody elses VS1 or even I2. If you were looking at a GIA SI1, it would normally be eye-clean or the inclusions hidden within the facets.

Most importantly, make sure that your sister's diamond sparkles in all lighting conditions. People make the mistake of testing diamonds under halogens and even dead crappy diamonds will sparkle in that light! The real test is normal daylight.

If the setting allows it, fold a piece of white A4 paper in half and place the diamond ring in the fold. Look at the colour of the diamond - if the diamond looks yellow or has a hint of yellow, then there's a very very good chance it's not a G colour. For a G colour, you shouldn't see any yellow at all. This test is best done with a loose diamond to be accurate but you can get a "feel" for the colour like this.

The price is certainly right for the specs so don't worry about that.

There is one further cool test you can do to a diamond and I'll post it up a bit later - it's a bit of fun but is brilliant to do!

Hope that helps. x

:Hiya: Meeshoo

Your ears must have been burning! Nice to see you posting again xx

Hope that helps. x

Yes come on then Meesh............

.:mysmilie_797.gif:..........don't keep us in suspenders!
DSCF0013.jpg

Sorry for the delay - went to get some photos to post up and then spent 4 hours sorting out Photobucket!!! Doh!

Okey dokey, here goes ............

Look at this diamond (note to self - use handcream!). Where do you think it sits on the D-Z colour scale? As a reminder DEF is colourless, GH is near colourless and while IJ is classified the same, you're getting nearer to the diamond showing some warmth and having a vanilla tint. KLM will show some yellow etc etc.

Diamond101ctPear.jpg

Scroll down for answer! Are you right?

Ok, it's an I in colour. Typically an I would not be looking this white and if I put this diamond next to an E or F colour, you can't tell the two apart.

This is because this diamond has been graded by the GIA as having "Strong Fluorescence". Fluorescence (i.e. how the diamond reacts to UV light) is typically blue, although other colours are known but what this means is that the blue of the fluorescence negates any yellow in the diamond making it appear "blue white" - now look at the first picture again and you'll notice the blue coming through. Years ago, blue white diamonds were a premium but their popularity waned. They're coming back in fashion and are a very good way of buying a cheaper diamond but getting a super white look!

This is the same diamond under UV light - isn't it cool!!!!!

DiamondPearFluorescence.jpg

Just a word of warning ...... if you have a diamond that has intense fluorescence, the diamond can have a milky or oily look to it and won't be desirable.

So, why don't you test your diamonds - you'll be surprised at how many of your accent diamonds might actually fluoresce! You can buy a torch on Ebay to do this very cheaply
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-LED-UV-LAS...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 Just type LED Torch into the search bar in Ebay and you'll get a number of choices.

Or you could pop down your local nightclub and stand under a UV light!

Here's another picture and you can see some of the diamonds have fluorescence and some don't ......

FluorDiamondMultiStone_1_1.jpg

Have fun!

Last edited:
wow! do you think the local night club would mind me checking out my bling in the uv lights! ( note to self, dont wear white undies or everyone will see my apple catchers!!!)
thanks for such and intresting post! :)

the BEST example I've seen of fluorescent diamonds is at the Natural History Museum.

These are called the Aurora Collection and are displayed under changing light conditions

It's mesmerising

Love your pictures Meesh!

Attachments

• Aurora_Diamond_collection.jpg
    Aurora_Diamond_collection.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Aurora_Diamond_collection_under_UV_light.jpg
    Aurora_Diamond_collection_under_UV_light.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Many thanks for the pics and masterclass Meesh, do we all get one of these for turning up to class and paying attention :D

diploma.jpg

That Diamond under UV lighting did look 'cool'. I was busy admiring the shape (love pear shaped diamonds......don't have one :31:)
and all the facets. So is it best to get one of the torches from HK - because of the price? I see Amazon have some, but much more expensive, unless I got a UV Golf Ball Finder Torch ( from £13.99) which OH could borrow.....:33:....he does have need at times!)
But then he would likely lose the torch as well. Hmmmm.

The other thing I'm considering is a diamond tester, saw it referred to in another thread. These aren't cheapies either, though a number of sources in the UK do sell them. Any opinions?

No probs ladies. Glad you liked the photos. (Hi KB!)

Jantac - love your photos and you can see the yellow fluorescence in those as well! I believe fluor can be blue, yellow, green and the Hope diamond fluoresces red!

Sacha - don't spend a lot because any UV light will do the job. I've got several and in all honesty they do just the same job whether you pay 99p or £20! This one will do the job just as well as the bigger more powerful versions. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-Watt-1-AA-L...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

As for diamond testers - be careful. A lot of diamond testers can't tell the difference between moissanite and diamond. You need one that can if you're going to test properly. You also should combine it with a reflectivity meter but these are messy to use and you need to be able to "read" it. Once shown it's pretty easy but can be confusing. They do digital ones now but they're not as reliable. Also be warned that it's difficult to test the reflectivity of mounted gemstones unless you can exclude the setting from the testing process - gemstones really need to be loose. In all honesty, these tests will only rule out some synthetics. A microscope is also very useful to check inclusions, refraction etc.

My dad's got a UV light, I'll have to check my diamond under it next time I see him. Interesting indeed.

Latest posts

Back