Tipping etiquette

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
I'm pretty much anti tipping, as I feel the price I paid for my goods/service was more than sufficient to cover wages charges so if the worker is totally dependant on tips then someone somewhere is keeping their wages portion to their greedy selves. Now I do tip because I feel guilty but I begrudge it unless someone has gone out of their way to be extra helpful because otherwise it is called "doing your job".

Should you tip a hairdresser who owns the business and gets the profits? How much do you tip for the person who spends 3 minutes drenching you with water whilst washing your hair (in a very small local salon)?

Needless to say I have just come from the hairdressers where it takes less than half an hour from start to finish (very short hair) which if the charge (no products, straightening etc,) was equated to an hourly rate it is a hell of a lot, so why the hell should I pay more.

I've given up tipping at the hairdressers as I tend to have the salon owner on the rare occasion I go now. Waiting staff I still tip but only 10%. OH does not tip nor do quite a few of my acquaintances.

My niece works in hairdressing industry and tips mean a lot to hairdressers as the hourly rate for many is very poor.

My niece works in hairdressing industry and tips mean a lot to hairdressers as the hourly rate for many is very poor.

Exactly my point, I'll bet the customers are charged a pretty penny for their cut/colour so why should their employer not pay a fair rate for the job.

My employer charges our clients at a rate which has my wages factored in so why would I expect a client to pay again directly to me.

Being male, I do tip my barber but then again the price they charge is cheap so I always give more. But normally I hate giving tips as I believe its no longer necessary in these days of minimum wage. Definitely don't tip if there's a service charge and as above, I'm of the opinion that you've accepted the job and its part of the job description to be at least friendly to the customer so you shouldn't expect more regardless.

Perversely, since I'm away sometimes so able to claim business expenses, I take the stand I won't include a tip in the bill since I'm not paying for it as I have to account for it in my claim. On the other hand, visiting North America where they have less work rights than we do, 10% is fine with me.

Latest posts

Back