Make Up Brush Cleaning

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

warwa100

Registered Shopper
Does anyone know how to clean make-up brushes? And if a product is needed, what is the best to buy? Thanks in advance.

You can buy brush shampoo but I find a drop of the shampoo you use on your head works well and you already know that your face won't react to traces that might stay on your make up brushes if it runs down your face in the shower when rinsing your hair without irritating your skin. (sorry that's a long rambling sentence!)

You can also add a tiny drop of conditioner to the final rinse water. I can recommend the brush guards sold on Just Beauty Direct for the final stage of drying which reshapes them like new: http://www.justbeautydirect.co.uk/department/the_brush_guard/

I think Donna posted some good suggestions in a question from me about make up sponges. If you cant find them perhaps she would do the needful again.

I use Simple shampoo to wash my brushes. It doesn`t smell, doesn`t taint and leaves the bristles soft.

I use Dove soap. Make a nice lather then rinse, rinse, rinse. Squeeze excess water from attachment end to prevent possibility of dissolving the glue, especially on Kabuki types that are very dense. This happened on a favourite Mr.Manicure Kabuki that is now discontinued.

I just use a little of whatever shampoo I am using at the time, usually just a DHS standard brand.

I was chatting to a makeup artist at the weekend(she does weddings etc),and uses Fairy Liquid.

You need to wash once a month for powder product brushes and wet(concealer, foundation any liquids), after each use.

I have a spray Paula Dorf which I use inbetween for the brushes used with powder products. I spray on kitchen roll and wipe.

I use the proper cleanser with by Beauty Blender and even use it for cleaning other brushes, or just use soap(I bulk buy from the christmas market fresh vegtal soaps), so usually shea butter.

Hold the brush handle down, do not get water up into the part where the bristles are glue in which will fall apart and bristles far out. Warm water and massage the wet bristles with those cleanser and rinse under the tap until the water runs clear.

I admit to buying Japonese(sp) goats milk brush soap, it comes in a little pot and you damp the brush and run over like solid shaving soap. A little does the job.

I could have sore I had already started this thread, but I can't find it anywhere. Apologises if it does actually exist.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how to clean make up brushes and if there was a product I needed to buy to do so, and what anyone would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Use mild shampoo, put a blob in the palm of your hand, wet the brush and then "rub" it into your hand, wet, repeat until the brush is clean. Pat them dry with a clean tea towel and then lie them flat to dry overnight, don't ever stand them up to dry.

The best, easiest and cheapest way :)

There are brush cleaners out there but they never thoroughly clean the brush, I use them for a quick clean if I want to use the same brush to apply a different eye shadow, for example.

I could have sore I had already started this thread, but I can't find it anywhere. Apologises if it does actually exist.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how to clean make up brushes and if there was a product I needed to buy to do so, and what anyone would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Your original thread is in the Health & Beauty section of the drop as it is not about QVC.

I used to always use just my regular shampoo but then I bought a flat-top kabuki brush last year that had lighter coloured bristles and I could see that the shampoo was just not getting it clean. Played around with a few methods but I now use the one in this video (including the brush guards) and I have never looked back since - super clean brushes! I do use kitchen towel to blot the worst of the water out first though, otherwise they would take ages to dry.

Latest posts

Back