ITV Documentary 2nd September

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I must be out of the loop? When did he trade up to a much younger wife?

Aha! Found out she was that bleedin awful Angelle who had her own channel on tv way back when-

http://youtu.be/s8P3VHhmEB0

Apparently Steve financed it. Thanks for that steve, it really made the Summer of 2002 fly...

Oh thanks for the heads up,
I am off to record it on plus as it is to late to watch it now.

Watching it on plus one, it hasn't exactly made me put their Chanel on to watch it

I watched it...it was a good show. I wont buy from them though as classic/contemporary/modern is my style. I wear a diamoneek circle pendant but that is as bling as I will ever get!

Apart from "because Steve paid them" - I'm sure a lot of general folk must have wondered what the point of the programme was.

It probably showed too much at times such as the producers PC screen, which proved they manually control the quantity on screen.

Sloppy editing when showing peoples living rooms, a few times they had superimposed clips from Rocks TV not Gems TV.

And as for Matt being the channel's "heartthrob"...

:mysmilie_15:

Liked the bits where prospective new presenters were being put through their paces and one of them was told his sales pitch was too obvious. Thought shopping channels were all sales pitch........

I don't really think they have a problem with the supply of presenters as I'm sure they use agencies like most other channels and industries.

It rather put me off buying from them - and I have bought a lot. Of course I always knew they were selling, but the avariciousness was presented in a rather unfortunate way. Also, some of the customers shown seemed on the whole a bit a of a sad bunch addicted to the channel - one man even questioned how much he was buying and why he was doing it. Is that me too? I'd rather not be that person. And while I always knew the producers spoke to the presenters through earpieces, hearing Steve spouting stock phrases to Adina to wrap up a sale which she then spouted immediately was rather brutal - likewise hearing about Adina's ability to "spin a story". Is it spin just to sell? It would have been more interesting to me if sarah bennett had perhaps spoken more about her collection and injected a bit of romance and passion into the programme.

To be honest I found the portrayal of their customers a bit embarrassing, as if everyone who buys from them is a total saddo and has nothing else going on in their lives and see the presenters as their 'friends'. I'm surprised they let that go ahead and not have a more varied customer profile shown.

I enjoyed it but it was too much Matt Bennett IMHO. Nice guy it seems but he is just one if many hard workers. Felt like it was a programmes about and for him. Like a reward for doing well from mum and dad.

To be honest I found the portrayal of their customers a bit embarrassing, as if everyone who buys from them is a total saddo and has nothing else going on in their lives and see the presenters as their 'friends'. I'm surprised they let that go ahead and not have a more varied customer profile shown.

I totally agree, it made me feel very uncomfortable to admit to being a customer.

Apart from "because Steve paid them" - I'm sure a lot of general folk must have wondered what the point of the programme was.

:mysmilie_15:

I wondered too what exactly the point of the programme was, other than a huge infomerical for Gems TV. I did think that perhaps it was initially part of a larger series, the rest of which was never commissioned. The Production Company was Rare Day, who produce programs for the USA too, and as Gems also broadcasts in the USA, maybe they thought they could sell it both sides of the water.

Or perhaps Steve is chummy with someone at Rare Day? Who knows? It meandered through a tale of how to sell orange gems - people don't really like orange gems apparently - but good old Steve pulled it off.

Very typically, it had some odd looking customers showing some very cheap jewellery IMO. It would have been better to show nicer pieces; the guy with the gemstone collection appeared to have some interesting stuff, but they never showed that and instead we got a shedload of under £100 bargain end. Not that good of an advertisement. Also, I couldn't help but feel some pity for these people, especially the woman with the kid...I thought, 'don't sit there watching this tat - play with your daughter and stop spending your money on this crap'. This said, maybe it'll be an investment if gold prices continue to rise.:mysmilie_19:

All in all, I was left with a feeling of 'what the hell was all that about?' and I've no doubt so were many other viewers.

It would have been great to have had comments from Peter Simon. I never watched the programme so would have loved the feedback on this forum but it didn't happen :-(

it would have been filmed last Christmas, so peter simon would have still been at bid mate, sadly.

I recorded this and only watched it last week or so... And I have to ask do you think Steve et al were happy with how they came across/ were portrayed... As discussed above it definitely had the air of self-promotion and of having been commissioned or suggested by Steve himself. Yet I didn't think it showed the company in a great light at all.
Not sure what the angle was supposed to be or what his goal was in choosing to do the documentary?
I thought the company came across as heartless, mass marketing and greedy. I know it's a sale company but I didn't really get that 'we're a wonderful family business' feeling.

Latest posts

Back