iRobot Roomba!!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Evie

Registered Shopper
I watched the presentation on this Robot vacuum cleaner and I was impressed but sceptical. I read some internet reviews and really began to want it. Anyway I bought it yesterday - the 530 because I didn't want the timer functions that come with the 560 series. I have just used it and can't believe how fantastic it is. The layout of my house challenges most visitors who end up going round in circles looking for the front door and so I was worried as to how my Robot would cope. I rested my dining chairs seat down on the table and pressed clean. I have followed it around as it cleaned 6 areas in an open plan ground floor. It cleaned absolutely everywhere ( it even went under my sofas ) and at the end of the process found its way back to its base station and docked in to re-charge ready for next time!!! I am letting it rest and then this afternoon it can clean upstairs for me. I won't be following it around anymore - it just knows where to go.

I would say buy it now. All I need my regular vacuum for now is for the stairs but I think that I will use my hand held cleaner for those. This must be my best buy ever. :):):)

Last edited:
I watched the presentation on this Robot vacuum cleaner and I was impressed but sceptical. I read some internet reviews and really began to want it. Anyway I bought it yesterday - the 530 because I didn't want the timer functions that come with the 560 series. I have just used it and can't believe how fantastic it is. The layout of my house challenges most visitors who end up going round in circles looking for the front door and so I was worried as to how my Robot would cope. I rested my dining chairs seat down on the table and pressed clean. I have followed it around as it cleaned 6 areas in an open plan ground floor. It cleaned absolutely everywhere ( it even went under my sofas ) and at the end of the process found its way back to its base station and docked in to re-charge ready for next time!!! I am letting it rest and then this afternoon it can clean upstairs for me. I won't be following it around anymore - it just knows where to go.

I would say buy it now. All I need my regular vacuum for now is for the stairs but I think that I will use my hand held cleaner for those. This must be my best buy ever. :):):)

That sounds fantastic (and fun!) Mia. :)

Can I ask do you have a hard floor or carpets?

Ooh sounds very interesting. I never watch Ideal World, but I'm assuming you can buy this from other places too. How much was it please if you don't mind me asking?

I've been looking at these for ages, my old english sheepdog brings the garden in with her and I am constantly hoovering - this could be the answer to my dreams! If it goes from room to room thats even better, how long does the charge last? I need one............. now!

I have both and it went from one surface to another quite happily. I really didn't trust it to find its way round that's why I followed it but in future I shall put my feet up and have a cup of tea!

I've been looking at these for ages, my old english sheepdog brings the garden in with her and I am constantly hoovering - this could be the answer to my dreams! If it goes from room to room thats even better, how long does the charge last? I need one............. now!

I was so keen to get going that I forgot to look at the time but my ground floor area is very big and it worked for ages before going back to its docking station for charging. The 560 has a unit called a lighthouse which restricts the Robot to one room at a time but I didn't want that nor the timer programme. I just want mine to work its way round. When I use it upstairs later today I shall just leave the bedroom doors open so that it can go into all of them. The 530 model ( mine ) has a unit called a virtual wall which blocks the cleaner from entering particular areas eg lots of cables, pet cages. The barrier ranges from zero to eight feet long but I won't be using the unit.

Hope this helps.

Ooh sounds very interesting. I never watch Ideal World, but I'm assuming you can buy this from other places too. How much was it please if you don't mind me asking?

I hardly watch Ideal World either, and am nervous about ordering from them I may make an exception for this! But I've just turned it on and its craft all day so will see if I can get it anywhere else. Alot of brochures such as 'Expert Verdict' or 'Innovations' have these in and it may be a good idea to check prices.

I saw it on Ideal World too but couldn't wait to get it so I bought it from Harrods when I was there yesterday. I paid £199 for it. I think the price is the same at John Lewis. I have a feeling it is cheaper on IW and probably even cheaper from Amazon but I was too impatient and will try not to feel too bad when you all report you have saved £30 by buying it elsewhere!!!!

Thanks Mia. I've noticed Amazon does it for £163.99 if it is the same one. Does it know not to fall down the stairs?

Oops! Just found it on Amazon for £163.99! - Good reviews too. I don't feel too bad because I am impatient and wanted to buy it there and then. Just think this would have been a boring day if I hadn't bought it yesterday so the little extra was worth it!

Worth the little extra for the piece of mind to be able to send it back if you didn't like it too. Let us know how it gets on upstairs, would hate for it to fall down. :)

Thanks Mia. I've noticed Amazon does it for £163.99 if it is the same one. Does it know not to fall down the stairs?

Yes, it senses stairs. I have tested it and there are no problems. I am still so amazed that it found its way around my complicated layout. I kept thinking surely it won't find such and such a room and it did!

Worth the little extra for the piece of mind to be able to send it back if you didn't like it too. Let us know how it gets on upstairs, would hate for it to fall down. :)

I have tested it on the stairs and it sensibly knows to move away. Honestly, I tell you the only thing it doesn't do is make the tea I will be drinking as it cleans for me!

It sounds really good Mia, might have to save up for one of these! Very clever not to fall. I'm lucky I've got a tea maker.. I just say "tea please" and tea appears!..well hubby knows he makes a mean cup of tea.

Update!

I recharged it and I set it to work upstairs at 12pm. I will let you know how long it takes to do 5 bedrooms, a large landing, a bathroom and an ensuite. I have got all the doors open and it is going in and out of them all

All done! Automatically docked into its base at 1pm having cleaned the entire upstairs, under beds etc.! Brilliant. I am now off to fill in the form to extend its warranty to 3 years ( and to do the ironing unfortunately ).

I have thought about these as well. Mia, how full did it get after cleaning? I am worried with having 2 dogs that the cleaner would be full before it had finished cleaning. Also does it go back to the docking station because it knows it has finished or because it needs recharged?
Sorry about the questions but I may just go for one of these.
TIA:)

I have thought about these as well. Mia, how full did it get after cleaning? I am worried with having 2 dogs that the cleaner would be full before it had finished cleaning. Also does it go back to the docking station because it knows it has finished or because it needs recharged?
Sorry about the questions but I may just go for one of these.
TIA:)

I will try to answer your questions carefully because I know it is a considered purchase. Obviously how full it gets depends on the size of your home and the amount of carpeted areas. I would say that my house is larger than average and I have mostly carpets and so more fluff is picked up . I cleaned the unit after doing the ground floor and then after cleaning the first floor. The handbook says to clean it after every 3 uses but that would not apply to me. If you are worried about it filling up too quickly you can pause it by pressing the clean button once and checking. The handbook also says that there is a voice that alerts you if there is an issue ( I haven't experienced that yet ). I thought that it went back to the docking station when it knew it had finished but I am beginning to think that it returns when it needs recharging because it seemed to me that it was overcleaning ( not a problem really because I am not the one doing the work). As I have already posted it returned to the docking station after 1 hour having cleaned 5 bedrooms, landing, bathroom and an ensuite. it cleans carpets and hard floors equally well and it is very easy to clean. It might be best to buy it from IW and to take advantage of their returns policy, that way you can really see if it works for your home.

Latest posts

Back