definition of 'investment'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
noun:

... the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value ...
... a devoting, using, or giving of time, talent, emotional energy, etc., as for a purpose or to achieve something ...

i don't frequent the channels much these days bar hopping on during ad breaks or if nothing on proper telly, but something i've noticed is presenters selling things that won't appreciate in value (e.g. an electronic gadget or clothing) as being an 'investment' e.g selling a 42" telly and saying along the lines of 'when you make this investment ...' now, i appreciate we use the word to mean other things e.g. investing time etc, however if you've ever heard the use of the word in the context these presenters use it, they are in my opinion attempting to create an aura around a product that makes the viewer want to buy. yes i know that's what salespeople are paid to do, but don't insult my intelligence by telling me i'm making an investment in something that is as sure to depreciate in value as night is to follow day!

One of my biggest gripes with Ideal World is the subterfuge you speak of. I do believe they full well know what they are saying and implying and of course by merely implying something they are doing no wrong in the eyes of the old ASA. I wish they would just sell things, as QVC do most of the time, on their merits and also not treat their viewer like simpletons
Good example of this is the technology. Janice sells every single tablet, smart phone, laptop, netbook, PC on the grounds of what you can do on the internet. Every demo for these varied devices Skype is showcased, playing stupid games (cue squealing from presenter and tales of how this will keep the whole family occupied all day over Christmas) 'OK Google' looking at photos, searching the web and saving money...... you get my drift.
Another example is 'Sugar Crisp' fashion, which if you believe the Ideal hype, is just an unheard of chanel, but exclusively for IW. When Sugar Crisp fashion came on IW accompanied by all the chaff the presenter was spilling, I looked it up on the old internet. Used to be just one shop, can't remember the city I'm afraid but it was a big-ish one, which was described along the lines of 'over-full of musty old-person clothing'. The shop was no longer running when I researched, so I'm guessing it went bust and thus = exclusive designer brand. I may be wrong.

The problem appears to be, Ideal can't just sell their items on their own merit, after all, we are all idiots or simpletons and if they just keep saying how "these Tower pans are going to sell out, get on the phones" louder and louder, then we won't remember they have been the POTD 4 times this month already........

They actually can't sell anything... most of their ''live output'' is simply past clips of the same spiel.

Shysters.

Seriously IW - Don't ever change! I used to watch you a lot until you whittled your product range down to about 5 different products shown on a loop (mainly DIY/Garden stuff and a halogen oven!) Switched over to the sit ups entertainingly awful and ended up spending far far too much - After their demise, I returned to you hoping for some shopping and entertainment - you've given me neither thus saving me an awful lot of money. Thanks IW! X

Latest posts

Back