Puzzled by the tanzanite hype

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wornoutcreditcard

Registered Shopper
I'm confused by the story surrounding the scarcity of tanzanite. Whenever it come on screen we are told that there is only one source of the stone on the planet, hence the cost of the "AAA" stones, also is this single source almost exhausted? How then can they sell lower quality stones set in silver or in the Lola rose bracelets(not criticising this range in particular but there is a current OTO which prompted my question)

If it is such a rare stone I would expect that even the cheaper Genuine stones to be more expensive.
Please can someone explain, I'm confused

I'm confused by the story surrounding the scarcity of tanzanite. Whenever it come on screen we are told that there is only one source of the stone on the planet, hence the cost of the "AAA" stones, also is this single source almost exhausted? How then can they sell lower quality stones set in silver or in the Lola rose bracelets(not criticising this range in particular but there is a current OTO which prompted my question)

If it is such a rare stone I would expect that even the cheaper Genuine stones to be more expensive.
Please can someone explain, I'm confused

Tune into TJC and you'll see endless tanzanite. It starts off at a ridiculous inflated price, then the presenters bullshit around for about 10 minutes about what the price is not, until they do a dramatic "price plunge" and it drops down to about 4 quid! Cue the pumping music!

Tanzanite is nothing special. If it runs out so what? Get a cheap old amethyst instead. Not much different.

One of the presenters a year or so ago (forget which one, sorry) almost let slip that they'd possibly found another tanzanite mine somewhere, though she didn't say where, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one on the go. I don't get the tanzanite frenzy. If it was so rare, it would have gone through the millions QVC sells many months ago. It's clever hype and it certainly won't increase in value in my lifetime.

They go on about how rare it is and how it will be an heirloom,so to buy it now before it runs out .Then they have whole hours full of the stuff, sometimes days on TJC.

But I've noticed they do this more and more with other gems. I heard a presenter saying that in a few years the demand for diamonds will exceed supply,so better buy them now.They cant guarantee they will get the quality. Its sales hype.

Ah yes! The tanz mine is closed for 6 months in the year and the workers have to brave water to get in it when it is open kerching!

Wasn't it the same about Russian diopside? Mine in Siberia under ice for 6 months of the year.

Mind you it is now rarely on Q. Really miss the great variety of stones they had up until about 5 years ago. Now it is one big yawn. The odd bit of eek is fine but it seems to have taken over the jewellery output.

One of the presenters a year or so ago (forget which one, sorry) almost let slip that they'd possibly found another tanzanite mine somewhere, though she didn't say where, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one on the go. I don't get the tanzanite frenzy. If it was so rare, it would have gone through the millions QVC sells many months ago. It's clever hype and it certainly won't increase in value in my lifetime.

I don't think it is rare at all. It was only discovered in 1967 so they haven't really been mining it long. It's a nice colour but then apatite is nice too and hebei peridot!

My ex bought me a large diamond and tanzanite ring on our honeymoon in the Caribbean in 2004. The novelty quickly wore off and it's my least worn ring now. I think it's really dull, and doesn't have the same sparkle as other stones. It's a very dark Tanzanite, but I actually prefer the so called 'poorer quality' really pale coloured stones. Much more pretty imo.

My ex bought me a large diamond and tanzanite ring on our honeymoon in the Caribbean in 2004. The novelty quickly wore off and it's my least worn ring now. I think it's really dull, and doesn't have the same sparkle as other stones. It's a very dark Tanzanite, but I actually prefer the so called 'poorer quality' really pale coloured stones. Much more pretty imo.

Maybe, Cariad, you associate the ring with the relationship which unfortunately waned.

Quite the opposite Julius ;-) Since we have lived apart for last five years, he has become my best friend. I see more of him now we are not a couple than I did before. He's the first person I turn to for help or advice and I know he will always be there for me. We just don't work as husband and wife. It's my parents anniversary this Friday and we are all going out your a meal, brothers and sisters and partners etc, and he is my 'date'. I still hate the ring though haha.

Quite the opposite Julius ;-) Since we have lived apart for last five years, he has become my best friend. I see more of him now we are not a couple than I did before. He's the first person I turn to for help or advice and I know he will always be there for me. We just don't work as husband and wife. It's my parents anniversary this Friday and we are all going out your a meal, brothers and sisters and partners etc, and he is my 'date'. I still hate the ring though haha.

Well at least you have a nice friend, and you got a ring and a holiday in the Caribbean! Sounds like you didn't do too badly!

Tanzanite day on TJC, buy now before it runs out. It's so scarce the prices will be going up for Christmas, so buy it today.

I don't know how they can speak those words without laughing...

Thanks Bettyboo. Good info on general care. I have a 30 year old Zircon and didn't know ultrasonic cleaning is a no no.
Wow, some prices on Q for tanz and heated the same as some diamonds yet don't like sudden temp changes. My money is safe.

Tanzanite Heated to alter color and clarity Do not use ultrasonic cleaning and sudden temperature changes

Tanzanite is rare well compared to diamonds(they don't mention that bit), fifteen years ago we were told it would run out in 5 - 10 years. Still around.

Its a soft stone it seems and should not be worn when washing up etc. And yes it fades too.

I do like the colour of Tanzanite but the more expensive AAAA. As it is out of my price range I bought a DMQ 'look alike' a small size stone & it is a lovely ring.Of course I haven't had the opportunity to compare with the real thing but I am happy with it!

I do like the colour of Tanzanite but the more expensive AAAA. As it is out of my price range I bought a DMQ 'look alike' a small size stone & it is a lovely ring.Of course I haven't had the opportunity to compare with the real thing but I am happy with it!

I also love the colour of it especially the expensive ones and If I could afford it I would love to own one. It's just trying to get an idea of exactly how rare it is and separate that from the sales hype.

Carmel (who used to be on QVC) is currently on TJC hawking Tanzanite. I'm not a fan of TJC. They buy cheap stones and fill in all the imperfections with coloured glass fissure sealant! Their rings are also mass produced very cheaply and not well set. If you look at their online reviews, they are dismal. With TJC you're more likely to get tanzashite than than tanzanite!

I have a lovely tanzanite ring I bought myself for my 50th birthday, it's gorgeous, very large and in the shape of a flower. It is a rare stone b ecause of where it is mined, but in the past we were always told to buy the gems up 'now' because the mine is almost exhausted.

What I have heard in recent months, however, is that the supply is not as exhausted as we were first led to believe, as they've discovered more of it, in the same place.

I did hear one of the QVC presenters say what the others here have alluded to, and I think it was a slip up.

Latest posts

Back