Gold Weights

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I can remember when gold prices were at a low, QVC made a point of INFORMING us how much gold we were getting for our money. These days we are never told the weight of any of the gold pieces, probably because it is so easy to find out the price of anything daily, and we would realise, therefore, that the Q is charging exorbitant prices for this precious metal. We are not being given the facts necessary, to allow us to make an INFORMED decision, as to whether to buy or not. I refuse to buy any gold from the Q on this basis.

I don't recall QVC ever stating how many grams of metal are in items, maybe the mentioned it on air but it was never stated on website.

I don't recall QVC ever stating how many grams of metal are in items, maybe the mentioned it on air but it was never stated on website.

It is the website I am referring to, Sazza. I don't watch gold shows, for the very reason I started this thread, it is way overpriced. I remember buying a beautiful, solid gold chain in the 90s for between £69-£89, not sure, at a clearance price. I do recall buying it because it was excellent vfm. If I was to sell it today, I would probably recoup a 350% profit.
Just oticed a bracelet on the website, 632241, at £81.84. It must be almost invisible, has anyone seen it in situ?

I have to say gold weights mean very little to me because I'm not used to buying on that technical level. And I'm a self confessed heart buyer ... if I love it and I think its worth the price I'll buy. Buying jewellery as an investment is largely beyond my pocket and in any case most of us will not see a true increase in resale value as secondhand pieces in our lifetime.

For me jewellery is a passion. If the piece is expensive I have to barely be able to take my eyes off the piece. I rarely buy on impulse. And I need to see things in the flesh. I don't like buying off a website so QVC works well for me as I can clap eyes on it.

The rules are different for cheapie jewellery. I'll risk buying off a website then.

That wee bracelet was very pretty on screen. Three separate, but fine, three colour fancy link bracelets in one. Would you get a single strand 3 colour gold bracelet for £28?

I'm not sure calculating the weight of a gold piece would achieve much. After all how much are the raw materials in a LG bag, Time Bomb or any other item on Q. Basically any item is worth exactly what someone is prepared to pay for it.

I vaguely remember that the weight was on the graphics on the, then but laughable now, higher priced items such as the Byzantine bracelets which seemed to appear regularly and discussed at great lenght with Jan Springer.

As already said we have no idea when the gold purchases were made or what currency was used or even if Q is just the end of a chain or deals at source.

I'm not sure buying jewellery for investment carries any 'weight' now. Having watched numerous Flog Its and their ilk, second hand jewellery goes under the hammer for peanuts. Even 18ct diamond rings have fetched barely a couple of hundred pounds.

All my ring collection from Q bought back in the 'good old days', would only fetch melt down value after the stones have been eliminated, so now I tell the younger females in my family to take their pick, rather than get the price of a Costa coffee for them. I certainly wouldn't get back anything like I paid for them, and they were a darn sight cheaper than whats being offered on Q now.

Years ago they always quoted the gold weight on QVC. They even told you how much per gramme it was.

Yes in the 90's you always got the grams of gold in the item both on air and online. I used to love trawling through the clearance bargains online back then. Not anymore it has changed beyond recognition.

I remember them going on about gold being like £5 pound a gram(this was before the prices really went up), but never mentioned how much gold in items. I have a number of rings from Gems going back and they always put the gold weight on screen. I never bought a ring below 2grams as it was too thin. I have one which on the card states 4 grams of white gold.

I gathered up all my broken pieces which to me I thought I would get £60 for as scrap. Sent it off to a place which gave gold weight per gram paid for on their site and got over £300!!! I bought a new laptop with it. This of course was back in 2009/10.

I sold a broken bangle for scrap a couple of years ago for more or less what I paid for it in the 80s but I think that was very much an exception.

I can't remember gold being as low as £1 per gram on Q I think it was around £5 as I bought quite a few pieces and made a huge profit when I sold some a few years ago.

Remember the Big Bold Gold hours? They also had chunky gold curb chain TSVs and the selling point they always trotted out was that gold should be £10 per gram or more but the TSV would be nearer £5 pr gram. Silver they sometimes quoted as being £1 a gram, but not very often.

I know I paid £5 a gram years ago when Watters and Lavery were flogging it on Q and of cours it gradually went up and up. So I suppose it depends on the year you bought it as I do remember paying about £10 per gram for a rose gold bracelet which I still have.

Latest posts

Back