Butler & Wilson aka Alibaba?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cariad

Registered Shopper
This might have been discussed before, sorry if it has.
I was just browsing Alibaba.com because it's surprising how many QVC products you find on there, being sold for under one dollar per piece ;-) And am shocked to find a Butler & Wilson bracelet I recognise! So B&W is just cheap stuff from China via Alibaba? That bracelet is no longer available on QVC but the reviews were amazing and I bet they paid more than the Alibabe cost of around £2.

Pic of QVC page
image.jpg

Pic of Alibaba.com page
image.jpg

I'm so disappointed :-( The more I am searching the site, the more B&W stuff I am finding.

As for the Pierrot brooch so much lauded and adored tonight that sold out? Don't worry. There's obviously lots of demand so get a job lot for 50cents each from Alibaba website and flog them for a few quid each. Cheaper than the £49 Butler and Wilson got off you all tonight!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are the website links if you think I'm kidding...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Crystal-Pierrot-Face-Brooch_1704586583.html

http://www.qvcuk.com/Butler-&-Wilso....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-301298

I've said it before that Simon wasn't the designer of the original partnership with Nicky Butler (who designs in silver with gem stones in the States). I reckon most of his "pieces" are sourced ready made or tweaked from samples made in the Far East. So is Simon Ali Baba or one of the 40 thieves? :mysmilie_15:

I've got to stop searching because I'm finding everything I've ever bought on ther for under one dollar! It's making me so angry...need to chiiiiiiilll ha ha.

The Pierrot brooch that was on tonight is definitely the 50 US cents per item on Alibaba. Same spec and everything. That flew out tonight at over fifty pounds a piece! Those poor people :( The minimum order is only about 200 so if someone wants to make a shed load of money... ;-)

so much of what we buy is cheaply produced in China. this wis just an indication of the profit mark up on QVC stock even if a proportion is returned by customers the profits are still secure.

We have a shop in town which sells what I consider to be identical stuff to BW, in fact I`m convinced the same factory must make them. They sell the majority of items for between £5 to £10 and they`re still making a profit on them. I think large companies such as BW must bulk order from China and probably pay pennies extra per item to have them stamped or somesuch. A bit like having a T shirt personalised.
I daresay they do the same with packaging.

..As an Alibaba member for more years I care to remember, this info doesn't surprise me. I did think the quality might be a little less than the 'branded' B&W pieces, but I was wrong, when some years back, I ordered the B&W Breast cancer care handbag charm, and.. it rusted! All the gold literally tarnished very badly

Around that time, I also remember Simon getting considerably irate regarding sales on the second hand market of his items, especially his handbag charms - yet, he'd made his huge mark-up with the initial sale so ... as they say, 'tough'

I must point out however, before rushing to order from Alibaba do not order unless the seller accepts paypal. Paypal is the only payment that guarantees refund if item doesn't turn up, which can, and does happen, as the cash transfer is collected by an agent, and not all are honourable

Last edited:
Really shocked at this!

First I've heard of Alibaba too - is it like ebay, then? Sorry am clueless.

As for the Pierrot brooch so much lauded and adored tonight that sold out? Don't worry. There's obviously lots of demand so get a job lot for 50cents each from Alibaba website and flog them for a few quid each. Cheaper than the £49 Butler and Wilson got off you all tonight!

View attachment 10601

View attachment 10602

Here are the website links if you think I'm kidding...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Crystal-Pierrot-Face-Brooch_1704586583.html

http://www.qvcuk.com/Butler-&-Wilso....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-301298

Minimum order is 240 pieces! Okay, perhaps, if you are buying for a business.

i really feel like emailing his shop with this information and see what they come back with.

Don't hold your breath CMQ for an honest answer, if they answer they'd just say someone had copied their designs... yada yada..inferior quality...yada...lead poisoning (ok maybe not that last bit) :mysmilie_50:

I missed the first 15mins of tonight's BCC show but from what I saw, I noticed Mr B&W kept his head down. He didn't present his item because it conveniently sold out before it aired. What little I did see of him he didn't lol happy. Oh dear.

I am not going to look for the item on Alibaba this time though, because it's a worthy cause this time, not his bulging bank account. :)

Latest posts

Back