Allergic to products.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Chrissi

Registered Shopper
No longer warrants a returns label?

Just had a bit of a ding dong with CS at le Q regarding a Gatineau set I stupidly purchased, received last Monday and have since found out I am highly allergic to something in their moisturiser. It's that bad I think I am going to have to go to the doctors tomorrow as my eyes are really irritated (even though I didn't apply it anywhere near!), but according to the CS person I just spoke to this is the chance I take shopping with them and it's my responsibility to return the items.

Never again will I buy skincare from them that I haven't had a sample of or had the opportunity to try elsewhere. I wouldn't mind if I just didn't like the products, but they have reacted with my skin for goodness sake! I would say they've had their last order from me, but until Laura Geller has counters in the UK (in the pipeline - please hurry Laura!) I have nowhere else to get my make up, Laura's products will be ALL I purchase from them in the future.

Sorry to hear this Chrissi. Hope it settles down for you as soon as possible.

You may wish to remind them that Ali Young very recently mentioned that the only reason you could return skincare or make up to a store is as a result of an allergic reaction. If this is ok for the dhs, why not Q?

A quick email to the CEO may be useful. Good luck.

I also noticed AY mentioned on air about the law regarding allergy and returns

You might find this an interesting read HERE

Hope your reaction settles soon - Im an eczema sufferer (Im very cosmetic sensitive) - my anti ageing cream is hydrocortisone LOL so I feel for you regarding your situ

you might be lucky on Ebay to source brand new laura Geller or try HERE

Last edited:
This is an issue that has been highlighted recently, I seem to recall that BBC Watchdog ran a feature about people having severe skin reactions to an ingredient which is widely used in cosmetics. This should always be taken quite seriously. What the BBC and St Thomas’ Hospital found was there was a common allergy to a preservative called Methylisothiazolinone (MI).

What QVC have said so far appears to be an absolute disgrace, their attitude is incorrect, and as a minimum, I would at least expect them to take an interest in your comment as it is helpful info for others who might be potentially interested in purchasing the same product, but could have the same, or similar, allergy.

You have raised a very valid concern, and as on air broadcasts, and possibly even the website, fail to mention a list of ingredients and/or possible allergens, I think you have good grounds (and rights) to take this matter further.

As a first step I think it might be worth your while contacting Allergy UK to discuss your experience as I am sure this would help others, and under the circumstances, I think you should raise the alarm with and chat directly to the manufacturer as well if that is possible.

Maybe there needs to be a new website or alerts system set up that customers can look at to see if other users have ever flagged up having reactions to cosmetics products etc. Maybe such a site already exists, in which case, why don't QVC tell their customers to check there before purchasing?

Links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-suncream-recipe-after-watchdog-investigation

http://www.allergyuk.org/

Was it Gatineau Age Benefit range that caused your problem? I had a problem with this a while ago.could have scratched my face off, it was burning, eyes streaming came out in a red rash. I contacted Gatineau to try and find out what ingredients were, but just said to return in if I wasn't happy, Q said the same and I had to pay for the return postage
I purchased 2 Decleor kits in the anniversary show the other week, one Iris & one Neroli.thought they were 100% pure, I used the foam cleanser followed by the neroli oil then prolagene gel, skin began to get red, itchy and hot. Tried it again the other day same reaction. The 2 kits was over £100 so will have to return more money down the drain
Has anyone had problems with Decleor?

I'am new here as I've just discovered the site, wish I found it earlier could have saved myself loads & loads of money instead of being drawn in to all the hype at Q. Reading the posts here there's lots of good advice given by members and reviews are more genuine get a selection of both bad and good.
Thanks everyone

i had the same problem with revitalash and was told by qvc cusomer services thats not a good enough reason to return something for free as its not qvc's fault i am allergic to the product. but i stood my ground and got a prepaid label, on the whole cs is quite ok but you do get some awkward types sometimes

I'd return it under the usual 30 day MBG but then email them again to get the postage refunded. Don't postpone the return.

OR

As you only received the products last Monday I'd try emailing [email protected] and, without mentioning the previous phone call, tell them you're cancelling the order under the distance selling regs and ask them to confirm that they'll refund the outward postage when they process the refund. Then send the set back and get a proof of postage from the PO. Delaying its return until you get the sensible response from Q just keeps the money in their account instead of yours. At least with DSR you'll get your original P&P back which will be more than it costs to return them via Royal Mail 2nd class or via the Hermes returns you can book online. I know technically the item shouldn't be used or tested for a DSR return but as you feel miffed by their reaction I'd try this route.

Playing Devil's advocate Q would say that this kind of situation is covered by their MBG rather than DSR, if I bought a product from Boots but took it back because I had an allergic reaction they'd refund the purchase price but not the bus fare into town to bring it back, which kind of equates to the postage cost QVC charges. That said, I have no qualms in trying the DSR route because, a good customer service response would have been to send you a label or arrange a pick up. Sometimes you just have to work a wangle to get the just outcome.

I don't really think that it is Q's fault that a particular customer is allergic to something that is fine for other users. Provided the product has met with general safety checks surely it is down to the customer with allergies to read the ingredients on the packaging? If there's something dodgy, for them, there then the package can be returned unopened under DSR.

(Would be better, of course, if Q could be arsed to list ingredients on its website.)

If you have tried the product you can't use the DSR and you would have tried it to discover your allergy.

I reckon just return under 30 day MBG

Yes I agree with you, Weathergirl. This is a MBG issue and I bet Q would only have to foot the bill themselves if this were a faulty batch etc etc. Of course no doubt the Q CS woman was less than friendly or helpful which is bad PR but what do they care about that!!!!

Welcome to the board Tarka!!!!!!

The only problem I have ever had was a Clientele face wash in a kit which got into my eyes. I thought I was going blind and the pain!!!!! Indescribable. All the other stuff was fine so I binned it.

Agree about QVC not bothering their arse listing ingredients.

I developed mild roseaca some years back, trial and error I know what my skin does not like.

Rose oil

Enzymes

AHA/BHA or any of the fruit acids.

I stay away from Gatineau, Decleor(I can use the some bits but am wary), strangely their sensitive range is built around rose. I can use Elemis but again not all the range. Marks and Spencer own range, I can use but the perfume puts me off some of it. Wish they made their stuff unperfumed. Boots own range has made my roseaca flair up. I found out by getting samples I can use some of the Algenist.

I have got to the point of lifting boxes in stores and reading the ingredients.

I know that technically cosmetics and skincare shouldn't be tested for a DSR refund but I'm sure someone posted recently that they'd done this and received a full refund. I still think Q could have earned a few Customer Service Brownie Points by arranging a collection. This is why they're dropping to 3rd place!

Chrissi, what have you heard about Laura Geller selling in the UK other than on Q? I'm intrigued!

I wish Q would do as many brand sites do and list ingredients, it seems only fair because many of us have allergies to maybe just one particular ingredient or some people might have life threatening allergies such as nut allergy or uber sensitive skin which is troubled by many ingredients. They hype the products on air and often bend the truth about them and anybody daft enough to ask AY`s advice should know she`s only able to recommend Q brands which might not be the best for you at all. I now know what does or doesn`t suit my skin but in the past have wasted a fortune buying stuff which simply didn`t do for me, not all from Q I hasten to add. Nowadays if something on Q catches my eye then I look on the brand website for ingredients or email them if they aren`t listed. If possible I find a store which sells the brand and test it. Yes it`s time consuming and a load of faff which could be avoided if Q listened to their customers but once you`ve sussed the good from the bad for your own particular skin, then at least you know which tsv`s are worth buying. My skin hates anything with talc in it and anything highly perfumed and you`d be amazed just how many items have talc in it but Q don`t tell us so.

Was it Gatineau Age Benefit range that caused your problem? I had a problem with this a while ago.could have scratched my face off, it was burning, eyes streaming came out in a red rash. I contacted Gatineau to try and find out what ingredients were, but just said to return in if I wasn't happy, Q said the same and I had to pay for the return postage
I purchased 2 Decleor kits in the anniversary show the other week, one Iris & one Neroli.thought they were 100% pure, I used the foam cleanser followed by the neroli oil then prolagene gel, skin began to get red, itchy and hot. Tried it again the other day same reaction. The 2 kits was over £100 so will have to return more money down the drain
Has anyone had problems with Decleor?

I'am new here as I've just discovered the site, wish I found it earlier could have saved myself loads & loads of money instead of being drawn in to all the hype at Q. Reading the posts here there's lots of good advice given by members and reviews are more genuine get a selection of both bad and good.
Thanks everyone

Yes, Age Benefit. Made my skin do the same, eyes streaming, skin feeling tight and raw, like a bad sunburn. Horrible.

Akimbo, Laura is in talks with a department store to bring her products to the UK high street.

After having a reaction to the Decleor products I've just purchased from Q. Iris & Neroli kits. Ive been trying to find a complete listing of ingredients, not listed on Decleor web site. I'm very disappointed to find that the first ingredient listed was hazel oil along with sunflower oil, palm oil,bitter orange carrot and lavender.
Iris was the 15th of the 18 ingredients so not much in the product then 0.001% where do they warrant the £54 price tag for a small bottle of oil that doesn't have hardly Iris in it. Neroli oil is along the same lines, and the Prolagene gel well full of parabens.
Wish I found out this before I bought the products, won't be buying again

Yes, Age Benefit. Made my skin do the same, eyes streaming, skin feeling tight and raw, like a bad sunburn. Horrible.

Yes that's right but when you question or complain get the feeling people don't really want to know, I'm sure we are not in the minority with this problem. I think people don't want or know how to complain when something goes wrong. Thank goodness for the MBG

I have had reaction to DEcleor products in the past.

Me too. The Systeme Corps brought my skin out all red and bumpy. I also got a red raw face after a Decleor facial. However I use the aroma cleanse in the shower on my face and its fine, and the prolagene gel is fine. Made a huge difference to the texture of my skin on my upper arns.

I have sensitive skin and Decleor works great for me..........Liz Earle however, have had reactions to that!!

Funny enough I have had to return my gatineau today as well. I am sure that they have changed something as Gatineau was great with my skin. My eyes are streaming all the time and you would think someone had given me two black eyes. My eylids have turned black lol and have big black circles.

Latest posts

Back