It's a diet book, for God's sake!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
This doctor, selling a 2 day diet book, has just used the claim that it helps those with cancer. A bit low, imo, especially seeing as we have just had BCC. Surely this is a case for the ASA? Unsubstantiated advantages, so mis-selling. This is plain wrong.

This doctor, selling a 2 day diet book, has just used the claim that it helps those with cancer. A bit low, imo, especially seeing as we have just had BCC. Surely this is a case for the ASA? Unsubstantiated advantages, so mis-selling. This is plain wrong.

Haven't you heard the phrase, - trust me I'm a Doctor? :mysmilie_14:
Surely not telling us plebs - little fibs on QVC ? I think it's all a fabrication. Preying on the vulnerable again QVC?

Was that really said on QVC? If so I am not impressed.

Didn't see the Q sales pitch but nutrition is underplayed by the medical establishment. There's no money in promoting a Whole Food Plant Based diet for life. It works, though. Check out T. Colin Campbell's books 'The China Study' and 'Whole' which show the evidence and how the medical establishment can make more profit by pushing specific drugs instead. It's been known since the 50s that high animal protein (including dairy) switches on the mutation mechanism. Direct correlation with things like liver cancer.

Calorie restriction when combined with excellent high nutrition - from wholefoods not supplements - is also a feature of most longevity programmes (for both healthy and ill individuals). Less stressful on the body.

Last edited:
Didn't see the Q sales pitch but nutrition is underplayed by the medical establishment. There's no money in promoting a Whole Food Plant Based diet for life. It works, though. Check out T. Colin Campbell's books 'The China Study' and 'Whole' which show the evidence and how the medical establishment can make more profit by pushing specific drugs instead. It's been known since the 50s that high animal protein (including dairy) switches on the mutation mechanism. Direct correlation with things like liver cancer.

Calorie restriction when combined with excellent high nutrition - from wholefoods not supplements - is also a feature of most longevity programmes (for both healthy and ill individuals). Less stressful on the body.

There is a lot of money to be made from diet programmes /books/exercise equipment etc and this book is another. The doctor wants to sell his book to promote healthy eating but why not give out that information in a format where people can access it without expense.

I changed my approach when the blood pressure went through the roof and I didn't want to be taking multiple medications. The information is all out there, I didn't need to buy a book.

I didn`t see the presentation but I know from experience that diet advice to cancer sufferers is sometimes impossible to follow. Cancer treatments can make the sufferer so ill or physically sick and some people find it impossible to eat or follow any particular diet. Quite often their appetite is very poor and they rely on prescribed food drinks or supplements. It isn`t just cancer sufferers, other illnesses and treatments do the same.

Getting advice on diet from your oncologist, or even your GP, is one thing; having a professor selling a book on a shopping channel, making such claims is another. I always think diet is such a big business, because the vendors are playing on the desperation of the wannabe dieters. But to use a life threatening disease, to peddle a book, to those who are probably already emotionally vulnerable, is not something to be proud of. The Q really ought to take him to task on this issue.

I have the 2 Day Diet book - though not bought from QVC. All the author proceeds go to a registered cancer charity. Their website is www.genesisuk.org. cannot see anywhere in the book a mention of a diet suitable for cancer patients. The charity does have a charity registration number. No idea whether this book was simply to raise funds for cancer.

I think I will write a 'Diet' book. It will be very cheap as it will only have one page. EAT LESS and EXCERCISE MORE.

The two day diet fad is based on good science (calorie restriction/alternate day fasting) but the original research was about health benefits and longevity not about dieting to get thin. Making it just 2 days per week is a bit of dumbing down for the mass market but it will still have some benefit - but not as much as making your health a priority. Still a better idea than things like weightwatchers with all the processed crap they promote as "food".

Anyone who wants the best chance to avoid major health issues shouldn't wait until they are in crisis to change their diet; but even then, nutrition has a major part to play (as the success of the Gerson Institute programmes for those with "terminal" illnesses have shown).

Sadly doctors - from GPs to Oncologists - usually receive less than a week's training in nutrition throughout medical school. Their advice, generally, is worthless; they give nutrition no thought and aren't aware of the research. Thank goodness a tiny few take an interest.

Latest posts

Back