Off the Gush-O-meter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
Just had on the Peony Flaaaaaaars hour (in the background of course) & while I find Mrs Julie Flaaars at the best of times quite nauseating there was one caller who went completely off the Gush-O-meter.I thought with all this tweeting the plug had been pulled on these toe curling phone in moments?

wasn`t sat watching it but I could hear most of it and yes it was OTT by the end I thought she had been given the flowers with all the thank you`s !!

I would be one of those people to tends to say please, thank you, sorry a bit too often in comparison to other people I meet in shops etc but even I get annoyed when reviews end with "thank you QVC" (some very gushing) since you have paid full price for the item and they have done nothing extra to enhance the so called service.

I think she'd possibly got some mental health problems, bless her - it wasn't normal. I think the gallery were a bit silly to put her through - there's a fine line between being extremely enthusiastic about something and having some sort of hoarding obsession with products and/or the supplier of said products.

What is worse than Marv rolling the eyes and doing a very poor acting job of how wonderful candles are? Marv rolling the eyes and reading out tweets in a very over the top fake way. Enough already with the bleeding tweets. Grr

Marv seems to start each show whatever it is repeating over and over how excited she is and how exciting it is in the most unconvincing way. I sometimes have to force myself not to switch the remote straight away if it is a product I really want to see demonstrated. It is glaringly obvious that she has no interest in the products in reality. Chloe made me laugh the other day when she was talking about something being new and they told her it had been on QVC for years. 'Well it's new to me, how would I know I wasn't here then she said'.

Did she tell them in her interview she had never watched QVC? LOL

Last edited:
It's the voices that get me. And the fake excitement. And the lack of knowledge and the bumbling. That aside, I'm sure she's a lovely lady. She certainly seems it. How she is considered more successful than Caramel or Anna though I will never know. I think she should stick to journalism.

Julia said at the start of the Saturday Night Show that they weren't allowed their ipads tonight. I had to wonder if something had been said, or if it was simply because Will was doing the social media bit.

I very rarely (intentionally) watch DBF but am sick to the back teeth of her begging for tweets or referring to her FB groups. She is like a teenager with no friends screaming "love me, love me, I'm brilliant, really I am". Grr. She even went so far as telling viewers exactly what to text in the other day. I have no desire whatsoever to be part of her immature (and I bet scathing) groups, but even I had a pang of feeling left out, ha ha! Someone needs to reign that ego in, pronto.

All I could see when I opened this thread was the last post. As I read it I thought to myself, Marverine!! I scrolled up and I was right. Yesterday on the candle show I lasted about 10 minutes, but then I was a bit put off by the price as well as her (laughs) presenting style.

They're all obsessed with social media in a very teenage way. It always annoys me - who cares what Mrs Mop from Biggleswade thinks about the overpriced pot of grease she bought from QVC yesterday?! It seems to be everywhere: I noticed on Strictly at the weekend that we will now have to endure videos of people dancing being sent in for some sort of social media stylee competition. I know all this stuff is designed to make us all feel 'included' and 'part of the club' but for me it just irritates and alienates. Just quit it with the twitter/facebook bilge people: it's not interesting.

At the risk of sounding like No.1 Grumpy Old Woman I am sick & tired of all this Facebook, Tweeting etc. etc. Everything has it's place as these do but when I see people texting, phoning etc. when they are having a meal or drink I think it is a final insult & height of bad manners ( unless there is an situation where someone has to be in touch!)I do seem to notice the use of devices more in Britain, I was recently in Germany & Holland & although this social media is in use it is not as apparent as in UK?
I'll shut up now!Hope I don't meet the retired individual on holiday who insisted on showing me photos on his ipad when I was having a meal--& I put up with it!!!

At the risk of sounding like No.1 Grumpy Old Woman I am sick & tired of all this Facebook, Tweeting etc. etc. Everything has it's place as these do but when I see people texting, phoning etc. when they are having a meal or drink I think it is a final insult & height of bad manners ( unless there is an situation where someone has to be in touch!)I do seem to notice the use of devices more in Britain, I was recently in Germany & Holland & although this social media is in use it is not as apparent as in UK?
I'll shut up now!Hope I don't meet the retired individual on holiday who insisted on showing me photos on his ipad when I was having a meal--& I put up with it!!!

I'm totally with you Silver Fox!!

I'm with you 100% as well.

I don't do Twitter and I don't have a Facebook account. I personally prefer to speak to people face to face or on the phone. I can understand why people have FB accounts etc to keep in touch with friends and family, but that's hardly applicable to the QVC presenters tweeting and twittering while they're on air. Very occasionally, someone tweets in with a question for the guest, which is fair enough and sometimes informative, but invariably the tweets are fawning all over the presenter or telling the viewers that they have 5 million Kipling bags or whatever.

I also find it 'less than wonderful' when someone has a mobile phone conversation in public. Why do they need to shout so the rest of us can hear every word ............. or is it just me who thinks that?

I think I should write a book entitled "Life is possible without electronic gizmos" because I'm sure that the majority of the world feel that there is no life without a screen in front of them.

Or maybe I'm just not trendy. :wink:

Thanks! so I am not on my own with this viewpoint! As said it all has its place but let's keep it there.How many time have you been expected to leap out of the way of someone walking along on a mobile or texting? Is there an unwritten rule that gives 'them right of way' I was once given a look to kill when I ignored someone on a phone heading towards me & we were on collision course!

I think she'd possibly got some mental health problems, bless her - it wasn't normal. I think the gallery were a bit silly to put her through - there's a fine line between being extremely enthusiastic about something and having some sort of hoarding obsession with products and/or the supplier of said products.

Yes! You are right. I always imagine Suzy Adams looking like one of the Riddlers as she steps into her house, pushing all the pillows out of the way, stroking them as she walks down her corridor!

I've often wondered when I hear DBF giving her confidential-to-me-alone instruction to "tweet me" whether the presenters are on some sort of brownie points system like sales points if they get x number of tweets or messages or whatever. And yes, answering your phone and then talking on it in the company of someone else is the height of rudeness. It's the same as ignoring someone in the same room.

At the moment I watch Ideal World more than QVC. I find the presenters more natural and the whole thing not as contrived, though obviously the name of the game is to sell. It's the end of a love affair, thankfully.

I've often wondered when I hear DBF giving her confidential-to-me-alone instruction to "tweet me" whether the presenters are on some sort of brownie points system like sales points if they get x number of tweets or messages or whatever. And yes, answering your phone and then talking on it in the company of someone else is the height of rudeness. It's the same as ignoring someone in the same room.

At the moment I watch Ideal World more than QVC. I find the presenters more natural and the whole thing not as contrived, though obviously the name of the game is to sell. It's the end of a love affair, thankfully.

I have to say, I have thought this too. Some of them mention it but then never check (Chloe and Jackie spring to mind) I get the impression that DBF is very competitive and is probably Q's best seller. I would hate to work in that environment. But then I am the least competitive person I know! And I hate attention, and brashness and egos. No, I am not suited to being a Q presenter in the slightest. Best I withdraw my application :mysmilie_11: haha!

I couldn't agree with all of you more - I sit at home sometimes thinking 'it's must be me but.....' then I come on here and realize I'm not alone LoL - I tell you it's a great feeling, it tells me i'm really quite normal:mysmilie_8:

i also don't think there's anything special about Peony.

Latest posts

Back