Recommend a product to sooth imflamed skin please. :)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

DunmowDizzy

Registered Shopper
I'm sure one of you will be able to help my brain is fuzz.

I have become a beauty junkie since watching starting to watch QVC earlier this year and know I have bought a least one product that is good for soothing inflamed skin but I still don't know all the products well.

My teen has a sore red cheek from using the clarisonic mia 2 with the new clinique foaming wash and I want something to sooth it for him.

I'm sure I have a least suitable product perhaps many.

Any recommendations

I have Elemis including bliss capsules, decleor, alpha h and liz earle.

Plus also lots of clinique products from GWP

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Elemis SOS cream is good, or Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream- if you have any of those! I'm sure cleanse & polish wouldn't do any harm and may help too?

With inflamed/irritated/damaged skin it is essential to stick to sonething very simple until it heals, rather than chopping and changing around with new products that are very active or contain essential oils. Simple washing of the skin with water then applying a light, inoffensive unscented lotion like e45 will do the trick in time. It's tempting to stray from the basics because it's upsetting when you've damaged your skin, but patience is the key.
It's too much of a pot luck to go out and try new products as if the skin continues to be irritated then you have no idea whether it's still the damage from the old product, or the new product doesn't suit the skin.

(I've worked in dermatology)

Last edited:
As you have it now nip to a pharmacy and get some Aloe Vera, Arnica, Calendula. Have a soak in a bath filled with warm water and 8 camomile teabags.

Decleor Prolagene or Harmonie.

I would recommend Aqueous Cream, it comes in a big 500g pot from the Chemist and you can use it as a face wash mixed with water and also topical application.

Years ago I had a very bad reaction to some makeup which left my skin very red, spotty and sore, not helped by my cousin telling me to use, of all things, surgical spirits, on cotton wool...I was on the ceiling!! My then GP gave me a prescription for the above, which was brilliant. It used to be a couple of £'s and now I think about £5 or under, cheap anyway. I have also used it following carpal tunnel surgery and ankle surgery on the scars, until such time that I was able to use Decleor Prolagene Gel...neither of which I would be without. Also OH has very dry skin on his arms and uses it at night.

Hope this helps.

When DD or I get a problem it's back to basics - aqueous cream, aloe vera gel & lotion (not necessarily SBC for the latter two, I buy much cheaper versions locally!) - I do have the SBC propolis gel tho which is also soothing.

Aqueous cream is used in hospitals to wash patients with skin problems and also as an emollient. I use it when my skin is inflamed. It was a nurse friend who told me about it

So its only one cheek????

Agree back to basics very simple go to the chemist and look for a small pot of FSC Vitamin E Cream with Calendula(I use it on my nose if I have a cold to keep the red raw thing down), you only need a small 10-15ml pot as its very thick. Costs a few pounds.

Is he shaving yet???? If so stop for the time being.

If he has used the Mia before its the Clinique causing it so stop that. If both are a new thing he could have pressed too hard with the Mia, you only lightly move it over the face.

Ellaa has given very good advice.

I have had real problem with my skin in the past where even E45 cream was too harsh. Acqueous cream is a good option but another one is Doublebase. Its a lighter gel texture and for a while was the only thing I could use. Slightly more expensive than acqueous cream but not much and a little goes along way.

From the QVC stable the only thing that might be worth a try is Decleor Prolagene Gel if you have that.

I've had numerous creams steroid and not from the GP including the doublebase diprobase type things, synalar, hydrocortisone, dermal lotion, epaderm and so on and hate every single one of them. I've had some to try from the allergy clinic I attend too (allergies respiratory, contact and contact dermatitis so a regular visitor!) and recommendations from them too. Some of them I found moisturising but none of them soothing. That being said I do quite like just a standard tube of aveeno for hand cream its a nice texture but not sure I'd put it n my face.

Hope's relief cream however is amazing I always have a tube in the house for all manner of things, it always has a long date on it so just sits in a draw should I need it. Aloe vera gel as long as isn't allergic to it is meant to be excellent at soothing irritation but if you buy make sure its 99.9% natural some do have rubbish added to them which can also potentially cause irritation.

If its very irritated and red sometimes a very heavy cream can irritate further - certainly does with me. When I've had peri oral dermatitis flare ups I can't bear a heavy cream near my face. To be honest time and doing as little a possible are the best things so agree with all OPs who have suggested this.

By applying more things you can sometimes exacerbate a problem particularly if not used before so you don't actually know if it will work for your son. What calms and soothes for me your son might hate. If you have 100% plain argan oil that can help inflammation in some people, its something I always have but for me doesn't work in such situations.

God luck, I'm sure it'll calm down soon. :)

He`s been a little too heavy handed with the brush that`s all and if it`s just one cheek which is a bit sore then there`s no need for expensive creams or cosmetic creams. It sounds like an abrasion on his cheek and if the rest of his face is unaffected then just apply Sudocrem to the affected area. It deals with a multiple of sins from a baby`s sore botty to abrasions, to sunburn to anything at all really. I always keep a small jar handy and as a sensitive skinned person I`ve sometimes been guilty of being a tad heavy handed with things too. It takes the soreness and redness out and helps to heal the skin. You only need a very small amount because it spreads forever and ever but soon disappears into the skin.

Stick to gentle, bland ingredients. Avoid scrubs, peels, AHAs, alcohol, fragrance and the like. As other have said, basic bland stuff like aqueous cream/E45, or plain oils like argan, sweet almond, grapeseed.
Also re the clarisonic, whatever the blurb about it says it seems to be far too abrasive for using every cleanse, I think it'd be better to use about once a week as a deep cleanse and exfoliation. That's how I use my tresonics and previously clarisonic (I actually prefer the former) and my skin likes it much better. Daily cleansing with it caused me irritation too.

He`s been a little too heavy handed with the brush that`s all and if it`s just one cheek which is a bit sore then there`s no need for expensive creams or cosmetic creams. It sounds like an abrasion on his cheek and if the rest of his face is unaffected then just apply Sudocrem to the affected area. It deals with a multiple of sins from a baby`s sore botty to abrasions, to sunburn to anything at all really. I always keep a small jar handy and as a sensitive skinned person I`ve sometimes been guilty of being a tad heavy handed with things too. It takes the soreness and redness out and helps to heal the skin. You only need a very small amount because it spreads forever and ever but soon disappears into the skin.

Hi Vienna back with your fab tips. Now Sudocrem I haven't tried but its hailed as a bit of a hero, does it really help? d'oh well sounds like it from what you say.

Could I ask what is the texture like - always thought it might be thick and pasty? MTIA :)

Hi Vienna back with your fab tips. Now Sudocrem I haven't tried but its hailed as a bit of a hero, does it really help? d'oh well sounds like it from what you say.

Could I ask what is the texture like - always thought it might be thick and pasty? MTIA :)

It is a thick cream LT but as it says on the tub you only need a very thin application, a light skim with a fingertip over the top if the cream is more than enough. It`s white on application but soon soaks in and a tub lasts forever. We use it on everything in our house from abrasions to those tiny little burns when you catch the oven door to hubby`s shaving redness to my grand daughter`s botty to insect bites etc etc. It soothes and takes down the redness and helps to heal.

Thank so much for that I think I might invest in some, I've looked at it many times and it'll no doubt be better priced than the hope's relief cream which is great but not as accessible to buy either. :)

Thanks for all the responses. I was working last night so didn't see any replies until today and he is at school now. I'll see how it is when he gets home. It isn't anything very serious and I do suspect he may have used the mia a little heavy handed but the clinique cleanser is new so it could possibly be that too.

I do have prolegene gel from the 'product of the month' so it's good to know that is soothing. I'll make sure I read through all the posts for when he gets home and update. Thanks for all the responses.

I am starting to feel I need to write down details of all the products I have as I'm not good at retaining information, I'll have to start a little beauty notebook.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back