Sales psychology.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I work in sales and feel, consequently, I can offer constructive comment on this issue. The nail clippers, 432956, are at a throwaway price to attract the attention of the shopper. Apart from the light, however, the same function can be performed by a set from the £ shop. This never works on me, but I can visualise a lot of people's attitude being 'well, for that price, you can't be done.' Same with the turbie twist; Kathy has just, rather dumbfoundedly, told us we get ALL three of tem. As if we would pay £22 for one! And JK has 6! Do they think we are gullible?

I work in sales and feel, consequently, I can offer constructilve comment on this issue. The nail clippers, 432956, are at a throwaway price to attract the attention of the shopper. Apart from the light, however, the same function can be performed by a set from the £ shop. This never works on me, but I can visualise a lot of people's attitude being 'well, for that price, you can't be done.' Same with the turbie twist; Kathy has just, rather dumbfoundedly, told us we get ALL three of tem. As if we would pay £22 for one! And JK has 6! Do they think we are gullible?[/QUOTE

They talk toot lol

Shocking isn't it ...the pound shop or just general high street has items cheaper ...

Sharp intake of breath ! Wash your mouth out with carbolic for mentioning those forbidden words "the high street". OMG

The Turbie,I don't get it ,seems the same as wrapping a towel round your head, and from what I have seen they are a bit snug.

Utter rubbish imo. I can't believe people fall for the spiel. I have seen very little of the so called SALE and I haven't been to the High Street sales either as they are only getting rid of overstock and stuff they can't sell most of which is crap imo.

Utter rubbish imo. I can't believe people fall for the spiel. I have seen very little of the so called SALE and I haven't been to the High Street sales either as they are only getting rid of overstock and stuff they can't sell most of which is crap imo.

Oh I don't know....I got some bargains from John Lewis which is fast taking over from QVC for me.
I picked up Philosophy Amazing Grace gift boxes ( shower gel, body cream and perfume ) for £17.50,philosophy field of flowers perfume, molton brown and burts bees sets. Then I toddled off to M&S a and picked up a set of 7 stila glazes for £10 ( great price to try a brand and after two days my lips have gone from a chapped mess to nice and soft again, much better than chubby stick)
Then I toddled off to boots and got a Champneys face steamer for £15, a tin of sanctuary for the secret Santa next year and some philosophy field of flowers shower gel for £7.25.

More than happy with my purchases from the high street.

Meanwhile...on planet QVC I've been tempted by

Nowt:mysmilie_17:

I disagree that the Turbie is no good but buy mine from Primark or pound shop.

Personally, I've never been able to wear a towel on my head. It just falls off. Can't wear a towel around my body either - have to use a towelling wrap with Velcro.

I love my Turbie too and take it with me when I travel, paid around a pound for it. Mine is cotton, not microfiber.
My family also love it.

The Turbie,I don't get it ,seems the same as wrapping a towel round your head, and from what I have seen they are a bit snug.

I've got long hair and the towel never stayed on my head when I wrapped it round. But I'd never pay £22 for a set of 3 .......... I've only got one head after all. :wink:

I bought a cheap turbie-type thing (£1) and it does the job perfectly. It's also got an elastic loop and you attach that to a button which seems a lot easier than twiddling the Turbie round and sticking the twirled end into a loop.

I got a camping towel, it's microfibre but smooth not nobly towling.
It was expensive but it's fabulous. I only use it on my hair which I wash every day. It dries the hair very quickly.

If you think the sales ploys on QVC are bad try tuning into TJC. There is this shouty posh woman on there called Chloe Marshall who is truly awful plus a terrible little man called Amit who speaks in pidgin English you will see it!

If you can bear to leave your shopping basket empty when a new product hits the market, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll turn up in Wilkinsons or another high street shop a few months later - much cheaper. I've noticed this a few times. They create urgency and a need to have this particular product when (a) you got along just fine with it before and (b) it WILL come down in price eventually. Urgency + possible need don't equal that amount of my hard-earned cash, thank you very much.

I think the Lori Griener water bottles are the biggest con.....same thing at sports direct etc ....fraction of price

She also does the cooking utensils that have a bit sticking out (can't think of another way to describe it) so you can rest them on the side of a pan when you're cooking. I bought one for about £2 from Asda. Does exactly the same thing as hers does.

It seems that we are all becoming savvy to their sales ploys ......... or we're all psychologists with a first class degree. :wink:

I like using a toweling turban but mine are from M&S (present) and the £ shop at a fraction of the price ...good for when you are putting a treatment on overnight ..as they stay in place .... Q price is way over the top!!

Latest posts

Back