let's play around with figures ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
okay i'm not naive enough to think IW or shopping channels in general are the only ones to do this and yes, i do appreciate they are there to promote/sell goods, however the way figures are used/abused to 'get that sale' annoys me. couple of examples:

flexi-pay
i don't know if it's just peter simon that does this, but increasingly when something is on flexi-pay peter is saying along the lines of 'yours for just £33.33.' that implies the item costs £33.33, which of course it doesn't, there is another payment or two of £33.33 to follow. give him his due, he usually says the full price and/or 3 x flexi pays later in the pitch, but i don't like the way they are using phrases that are designed to make the buyer sub-consciously think they're getting something for £33.33 when it actually costs £99.99. i know the figures are on screen but there's a subtle difference between saying 'you can get it home for £33.33' and saying 'yours for £33.33.'

full retail price
they sell a bundle, let's say a karcher bundle, for whatever price. they love telling us we're getting the whole bundle for x, however when they start telling us what the individual items would cost, they suddenly decide to use full whack retail prices that very few if any will ever have to pay. of course i know it's done to affirm how good the bundle deal is, but to me it's using and abusing rrps etc. 'we're selling you the entire bundle for £99.99. if you were to buy the foam dispenser separately that would set you back £25.99, the extension arm would be £34.99 and the super-duper scrubber would be £39.99. so ... we're actually giving you the power washer unit for nothing!!!!!!!'

of course you are :wonder:

like i say i know it's what retailers do but it annoys me! anyways, merry christmas and happy new year to you all when it comes :)

I completely agree! I was listening to an hour a while ago and heard one of the shillers saying that "this cookbook, only £2.16" and I turned round right quick to see what book it was, of course it was that amount over 3 or 4 flexi-pays but it wasn't pointed out til later in the hour that it was that way.
Seems everything is on flexi pay these days, and I very much dislike "just pop it in your flexi basket, only £10 a month extra". Yes, an item may only add £10 to your flexi basket, but that's a £30 purchase in all. It is very much a tactic to encourage you to see an item as "just a tenner" when in fact it is 3 times that.
I'm guessing they are just fairly scared that selling a naff cookbook for £10 on its own will never sell, so making it cheap as chips and "you won't even notice that" is the only way to secure a sale :(

Watching a lot of QVC over the 'season' has opened my eyes again to interestin shopping telly, I was genuinely shocked when they move off the TSV after about 12 minutes :p

yeah i was annoyed when one of the female presenters said 'just pop it in your flexi basket, makes it only £5 a month which let's face it you're not going to miss.' okay, most people might not actually miss £5 a month as such, however given they encourage viewers to 'fill the basket to the brim' i'm sure the eventual monthly figure is a figure most would miss. i'm increasingly seeing sales tactics that i don't like ... i'm very pleased i don't fall for / succumb to sales pitches etc in general whether shopping telly or in store. hopefully most folk see through them.

I was just about to post on this flexi pay business two presenters in particular and no need to say who are very guilty of this, just give us x amount and its yours without a mention until later that thats only the first payment of 3 or 4 to me that is misleading selling i don"t know why they are not picked up on it .

I never understand how they price things on IW,not only the flexi pay issue but they always seem to have mini sales where there is a reduction on screen especially in fashion ,but its difficult to compare with past prices as they change them about so much. I can never work out if its a BARGAIN or not......

On Q Ingrid Tarrant for Yong Kim has started regularly saying she has worked out the cost of easy pay to being only £1per day so it's hardly costing you anything. How does that work when you still have the expensive total to pay.

I never understand how they price things on IW,not only the flexi pay issue but they always seem to have mini sales where there is a reduction on screen especially in fashion ,but its difficult to compare with past prices as they change them about so much. I can never work out if its a BARGAIN or not......

On Q Ingrid Tarrant for Yong Kim has started regularly saying she has worked out the cost of easy pay to being only £1per day so it's hardly costing you anything. How does that work when you still have the expensive total to pay.

Wow that Yong Kim fashion is expensive, I was watching the other day and everything was selling out really quickly. Mind you, the models on there really do show the fashion off to its best. They don't just stand there with a foot out and a flat hand poised over side thigh :mysmilie_19:

Latest posts

Back