Poor presenters....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
working over the holidays! Some people are so sickeningly fawning, imo. Someone has tweeted to thank the presenters (and QVC staff) for working over Christmas. I had Christmas day off, endured - willingly - the boxing day sales, and even went into work on my day off, as it was hectic, until 8 o'clock last night, a short (for me) 7 hour shift. Presenters usually do 3 hours in a day, something I could only dream of. I love helping my customers, face to face, so am not complaining; the atmosphere over Christmas was great, the customers were extremely understanding about queues and, in Workington, Cumbria, we have the best customers in the country. I get a massive amount of job satisfaction; what satisfaction can being a QVC presenter give you?
They don't need thanks or recognition, for doing their jobs for which, let's face it, they are well paid!

It's just another way of telling the customer how great they are so we buy more and fill their pockets. And in Charlie's case on his recent "lunch hour" (his words) with Simon Brown, filling his face as well so he doesn't have to even pay for meals from his hard-earned cash over Christmas. Try explaining how hard they work to the emergency services.

Don't forget, it takes a lot to look at the trolley of goodies before they go on air and decide not to purchase until they are on air.

I agree with the fawning over what seems like an easy, cushy job but, we would all love to be in their position eh? Easy, well paid job...you wouldn't say no! ;-)

The only one I would applaud is Jackie Kabler who worked over Christmas with her arm in a cast having broken it ice skating.She said she had an operation on the Monday with pins and screws and things but everything was OK and she could work. She didnt want to make a fuss so good on her. The others are surely just following their rotas.

Whilst it might look like they only work 2-3 hours as that is what they are on air they do actually do fair bit off air too, research, trials for guest presenters etc...

Like Sazza says it's not just the hours on air they work. Sales is not an easy job, it may look it on TV, but they will have serious sales figures and targets to meet behind the scenes and like any sales job if you don't meet those target you risk losing your job.

Anyway, I digress from the topic of working over Christmas. I'm a nurse and have worked every Christmas day or New Years day for the past 10 years, however i knew when I started it was a necessity of the career path I had chosen that I would have to work over the festive period. I don't require any thanks or special treatment for it. Those working on QVC will have known they may have to work over the festive period when they started the job.
Those I feel for most are people who are in jobs they don't enjoy or jobs that they wouldn't have chosen who have to work on Christmas day or New Years day.

I'm a nurse and have worked every Christmas day or New Years day for the past 10 years ............

I'm a nurse too and was fortunate enough to have Christmas day off this year. Sounded good until the rest of the rota came out and I was on Boxing Day, 27th, 28th then they allowed me a couple of days off before being back on again 31st, 1st, 3rd and 4th.

Looking back I'd rather have worked Christmas day and then had a few days off with my family as I honestly felt this year that the whole thing passed me by & that I hardly saw my family at all. If I was on a day off I was in bed early because I was on the next day! I don't really drink alcohol most of the time but do enjoy a glass of wine over the festive season - that was impossible too as on each day off I had I was constantly on duty the next day.

But like you say, that's the career I chose and whilst I may not always like it, that's just the way it is. Maybe a move out of emergency and in to the clinics is the way to go for next year! :wonder: :wink: :grin:

My mum's a nurse and has to work xmas or new year every year, sometimes both. I think one time in the 40 years she's worked for the nhs she had both off. Pity she doesn't get paid the Q presenters' wages to do that.

I often wonder if these "tweets" are contrived, - there is no way of checking if 'Sally of Shoreditch' actually exists, so I just sit there and say "yeah, right", when another fawning tweet is aired.

As for 'working hard', I've just read that Len Goodman (Strictly) has pulled out of the tour because he is 'exhausted'. Oh please ! dressed up in a Tux for a couple of hours once a week, and flying back and forth to the U.S to line his pockets, whilst hosting celebrity holiday programmes here is really the stuff of nightmares - (for us viewers it is anyway). He should try working in 3' head height at the coal face of a coal mine, like the menfolk in my family have done, and STRESS was a word that was unheard of !! Most men in this country haven't a clue what real exhaustion is.

Total respect to emergency services and hospital staff .....my friends daughter who is only about 18 had to have emergency gall bladder op Boxing Day bless her ...all is well thank goodness and the relief on my friends face that her daughter has recovered from a two month ordeal is evident .....undiagnosed lots of,pain .....all we hear is the stress of NHS at the moment so it was nice to hear a positive end to an emergency story ........

It's not always a case of emergency staff working on bank holidays, Christmas etc - often they are also on 24-hour call so have to be ready and willing to drop everything (even after a mouthful of Christmas dinner or at 3am) if needed. But this is part of the job so as in our family, people just accept it and work round it without bleating about being hard done by.

AND they can't do their personal shopping in the middle of their work.

I know in my heart that they work more hours than on screen time but when you see how poorly they are prepared for the shows they present I seriously wonder what they are doing.

Considering that most of the products are on a week on week off rolling basis now surely to God they should be able to do it off the top of their heads (we all can spout the same old clap trap they come out with).

Still I suppose catching up on Twatter, FB and penning books is very time consuming for them.

Sorry, cant feel sorry for any of 'em. None of them appear to be hard up, they all have amazing job perks (in the past, trips abroad), freebies to product test, staff discounts, and the means to publicise their novels/biographies - what other job gives those benefits as well as a salary for a part time job (none of them are on air all day 5 days a week, even though they have to 'prep' beforehand, and oh yes, attend Presenters meetings !)

Total respect to emergency services and hospital staff .....my friends daughter who is only about 18 had to have emergency gall bladder op Boxing Day bless her ...all is well thank goodness and the relief on my friends face that her daughter has recovered from a two month ordeal is evident .....undiagnosed lots of,pain .....all we hear is the stress of NHS at the moment so it was nice to hear a positive end to an emergency story ........

Always nice to hear a positive outcome. It's emergency theatres that I work in and mostly we hear nothing more of how our patients do after their surgeries. And also great to see NHS staff being valued once in a while because as you quite rightly state most of what we hear these days are negative stories which just demoralise staff even further. Glad your friend's daughter is doing so well :happy:

Always nice to hear a positive outcome. It's emergency theatres that I work in and mostly we hear nothing more of how our patients do after their surgeries. And also great to see NHS staff being valued once in a while because as you quite rightly state most of what we hear these days are negative stories which just demoralise staff even further. Glad your friend's daughter is doing so well :happy:

Cheetycat hats off to you all .....what a job .....I remember when my son had to have emergency op in something that is quite common in teenage lads .. A twisted bit in his nether regions ....did not have a clue it could happen and I thought he had been kicked at my nephews birthday party ..(as he was helping the little ones etc ..totally manic as birthday parties usually are )...and had been bruised ...I even said to him " if you keep telling me you are hurting bad we will have to get you to docs ..." Not much later we were in hospital ....they were amazing ...the surgeon came out and drew a picture of what was goi g to happen ...if he hadn't had the op blood supply could have stopped ....and I don't want to even think about the rest of it .....it was a while back ..my son is 27 now ...he was about 15 or 16 at the time I think .....the nurses were brilliant too ....so helpful ...NHS....I thought how Lovley of the surgeon to draw a diagram and everything you know? .....

Cheetycat hats off to you all .....what a job .....I remember when my son had to have emergency op in something that is quite common in teenage lads .. A twisted bit in his nether regions ....did not have a clue it could happen and I thought he had been kicked at my nephews birthday party ..(as he was helping the little ones etc ..totally manic as birthday parties usually are )...and had been bruised ...I even said to him " if you keep telling me you are hurting bad we will have to get you to docs ..." Not much later we were in hospital ....they were amazing ...the surgeon came out and drew a picture of what was goi g to happen ...if he hadn't had the op blood supply could have stopped ....and I don't want to even think about the rest of it .....it was a while back ..my son is 27 now ...he was about 15 or 16 at the time I think .....the nurses were brilliant too ....so helpful ...NHS....I thought how Lovley of the surgeon to draw a diagram and everything you know? .....

Sorry I didn't mean to say common ...I meant to say can happen but not many people know about it ...I think it called a torsion....and I think more people should be aware as If we had been we would have hospital even quicker

Thank you May. It's a tough job & doesn't always go according to plan but somebody's got to do it :wink:

Unfortunately we see quite a lot of these. But thankfully in the majority of cases we manage to catch them before any permanent damage is done. So glad it all worked out OK because as you aware it can have life changing consequences of not operated on soon enough. Another positive outcome :happy:

Not only the presenters but the whole organisation

Kipling bag "what colour would you call demin blue" "it's purply midnight". Grr

Latest posts

Back