E-bay Seller

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Jackanory

Registered Shopper
Hi All!

Sorry to be slightly off topic here, but I caught a glimpse of a programme last night which was saying that Job Centres are now recommending that people go self-employed and one job they suggest is "E-bay Seller" and it made me think of QVC and people buying e.g. Elemis and SBC sets, sometimes 10 at a time, and selling them on E-bay to make a profit.

I don`t mind paying a fair price for something out of a tsv which someone is selling on Ebay, especially if I just want the one item such as a mascara but some of them are nothing but ripoff merchants. Nothing in a jar/tube/bottle/for my face or any other part of my body is worth being ripped off for. God knows there`s so many brands out there and so many tsv`s one after another that I`d go without rather than be ripped off. A fair price yes, a ridiculous price no.

I've just done a search on Ebay for Laura Geller, I see various items from the Bella Vita TSV, the Ballerina highlighter is going for £18.95, wish I had thought of doing that, I knew as soon as I saw it it wouldn't suit me, but I opened it and tried it anyway, I'll never use it. I really should sell on the things I know I am not going to use. As for bulk buying QVC sets to split up and sell on Ebay I'm not brave enough, I'd worry about having spent a fortune and having a whole lot of stuff I couldn't get rid of.

People seem to be selling parts of the latest Laura Geller everywhere!! The Fb groups and ebay are full of it.

I read the moneysavingexpert forum and they have an ebay section for sellers and buyers. Sorry but many are giving up selling on ebay because one they always seem to support the buyer and they are losing money. Items restricted what can post these days etc, dodgy buyers claiming products did not arrive or damaged.

Now the things I look at are stupid money sometimes 3 times the price you can buy elsewhere. Oh and the taxman will be watching as well, ebay do keep it legal and will give information.

Interesting, and it could explain a lot about the way ebay is now. I've used ebay for years, both buying and selling, and it has gone downhill somewhat lately. All of the failed transactions I've had with sellers, and all the less-than-friendly buyers have all been within the last 6 months. I didn't realise that people were being encouraged on there as a career option! Although, I generally find that I have sellers I've used and known for a long time, who all give good service and sell at reasonable prices, and I tend to stick with them, even if they're a little more expensive, because I know the sale is likely to complete with no problems. Newer users don't seem to know the etiquette and don't complete feedback or even acknowledge the orders anymore. And if I do sell, I send everything on a tracked service and, thus far, have had no problems with buyers trying to claim it got lost.

You have to be as careful elsewhere too. I recently had to return an order to an Amazon marketplace seller who claimed they never received the goods, despite the fact that I had proof of delivery with their signature! Eventually, I had to get Amazon involved directly and I had the refund in the bank within 48 hours. Excellent service - I could never see QVC operating anything as quickly as that!

I once bought a set of 4 Leighton Denny nail polishes and didn't like one shade. I sold it on EBay to an Italian buyer for £16. Cant remember how much the set was, seem think just under £30 plus P&P so I did well out of it.

I've never bought a QVC kit with the intention of splitting it up and selling it but I might give it a go.

One issue I can foresee with making a living with EBay is people who are used to being PAYE getting in a mess with their tax and NI.

Latest posts

Back