Dennis Basso Gloves!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dennis Basso fans can now literally have blood on there hands!!! Shame on Qvc :mysmilie_51:

I'm not a Basso fan but both lamb and calf skin are by-products of the meat industry so you can't equate this with the real fur products (farmed mink etc. which is bred and killed only for skins) he sells in his mainline, so in this case Q can say they only sell faux fur products by Basso - these are leather. If you don't wear leather and are vegetarian I can understand why you would get upset at leather gloves but if you eat meat and wear leather shoes then whats the difference? Emu boots are lambskin also.

Last edited:
£57 for a pair of gloves!! Got mine for a tenner in Peacocks!

The 'butter soft' leather products etc all involve the death of the animal - after a pretty appalling life.

So, if you wear leather you're already financing a butcher.

I don't get all the hatred only directed at Basso when Emu, Honora etc are never criticised.

I don't get all the hatred only directed at Basso when Emu, Honora etc are never criticised.[/QUOTE]

That was the point I was alluding to. Its easy to criticise the fur trade - which I in no way condone - because a fur coat for example is not a part of everyday life but eating meat and wearing leather products is for many of us. Thats why I feel unless you don't eat meat or wear any leather you don't really have much more of a moral high ground - the meat industry is just as unkind to animals as the fur trade, and even if you only buy organic free range meat there is absolutely no way to know where the skins for your leather products have come from…. and believe me they are more likely to come from intensive meat farming as this is by far the biggest part of the industry and the demand for leather is huge and could hardly be fulfilled by the small free range part of the industry. For the record I eat meat and wear leather and I don't feel I can criticise the fur trade as much as some because I would feel hypocritical - after all the animal only knows it has been treated very badly and is to be killed and wether it is to be eaten or worn is the least of it's problems………...

Nearly £60 and they've got synthetic fibre linings ! I would a wool-mix fabric which is probably harder wearing than 100% wool.

Most of us wear leather shoes and lots of us have leather jackets. If anyone uses or eats no animal products at all then fair enough I accept you will be upset at leather gloves. Or is it the fact that it's a lamb? I eat meat and have leather shoes and gloves. I also have Dennis Basso coats, however, I don't wear real fur. Each must make up their own mind I guess.

I really don't care what anyone says about wearing leather or being a vegetarian I detest Basso and that's that.:mysmilie_51:

But I just don't get WHY Basso is considered so much worse than other suplliers - do you really think the sheep for Emu boots enjoy their lives and have a beautiful death?

What about the egg industry - even with free range and organic - hatched male chicks are fed alive straight into a macerator because they aren't fiancially viable.

I don't like Basso, he is brash and Q is economical with the truth about his fur industry, BUT is that much different from how, for example, Bernard Matthews presented himself as a kindly farmer?

I just don't get the distinction where Basso is viewed as a pantomine villain where everyone hisses yet no-one seems to see the same faults in other guests.

By the way I would assume that the 'sheep' used for emu boots are infact mostly lambs as lamb is by far a more popular meat than mutton these days and as that part of the world is one of the biggest producers of lamb meat for export you can be sure thats where these 'sheep'skins are obtained.

So unless we`re all vegan, canvas shoe wearing, synthetic bag carrying, knitted gloves fanatic, organic skincare using, all natural house cleaning product user, then we`re not allowed a moral compass ?
I agree animal husbandry often does and can fall short of perfection but minks, foxes , sable etc are not eaten and are on the point of becoming extinct. The ONLY reason these animals are slaughtered is for their pelts unlike sheep and cows which are foodstuffs too. For every sheep or cow kept in imperfect conditions, there is probably a farmer somewhere who`se trying his best to give his livestock as good a life and as good a death as possible. Many countries have laws regarding how animals must be kept, regularly inspected by vets, wormed, fed correctly and dispatched as humanely as possible. Not so in Vietnam and China where much of the fur trade is sourced from. In fact there was an article a few weeks ago showing cheap leather gloves being made from dog leather and being sold through the likes of Ebay from China, also cute cuddly kitten toys in wicker baskets and the kittens are actually made from cat skin and on sale in the local pound shops. Both dogs and cats are rounded up, crated, boiled alive and skinned. If a culture deems it acceptable to eat dogs and cats then that is their choice much the same as we eat beef and pork but at least in the majority of cases our animals have been fed, kept in acceptable conditions and killed humanely.
There will always be a big divide about Basso but he specifically uses endangered species, specifically bred abroad where they can be killed as cruelly as possible so their pelts remain undamaged and made into a coat which only one woman in every 100,000 can afford and the other 99,999 wouldn`t actually want even if they could afford it.
There are no right and wrong views, only personal views and what I find distasteful and what others find distasteful could be poles apart. That is their choice and to dislike Basso`s trade is also my choice, even though I eat meat and own leather shoes.

I'm more concerned about the treatment of human beings around the world in the mining and trading of gemstones and precious metals and cheap food and clothing. Animals bred for consumption are treated very badly, no doubt about it. But some people are kept in slave like conditions so that we can have pretty , shiny jewellry and out of season foodsetc. Im not saying that QVC or any of its suppliers are involved in such practices, but it is a reality for millions of poor people around the globe. I'm just trying to keep things in perspective here.

I'm more concerned about the treatment of human beings around the world in the mining and trading of gemstones and precious metals and cheap food and clothing. Animals bred for consumption are treated very badly, no doubt about it. But some people are kept in slave like conditions so that we can have pretty , shiny jewellry and out of season foodsetc. Im not saying that QVC or any of its suppliers are involved in such practices, but it is a reality for millions of poor people around the globe. I'm just trying to keep things in perspective here.
That's another topic unrelated to QVC.

If I remember correctly, DB has some very controversial methods for obtaining the leather and fur he uses for his non-QVC range of clothing.

I'm on my phone and don't know how to add a link but there are posts a-plenty on the subject.

My advice is don't look for links about the fur trade, it's too upsetting. I even struggled to read Vienna's post above. But equally I'm reduced to tears (again) by the Auschwitz 70th anniversary. My simple brain struggles to process the evil that men do, Basso is just one of many.

Ugly Gloves !

My advice is don't look for links about the fur trade, it's too upsetting. I even struggled to read Vienna's post above. But equally I'm reduced to tears (again) by the Auschwitz 70th anniversary. My simple brain struggles to process the evil that men do, Basso is just one of many.

My comment is only regarding these Dennis Basso gloves . IMHO they looked as if the model wearing them had developed a horrible skin condition on the back of her hands !!! What a lot of money for such an unpleasant look !

Latest posts

Back