QVC Facebook SBC Ingredients Uproar?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Whatsgoinon?

Registered Shopper
Sometime ago I emailed QVC about my concerns with the ingredient changes in the Arnica Bath Soak, just after their packaging upgrade and following the SBC range launch in Italy.

There appears to be quite a few comments on FB now regarding the ingredients of SBC products...makes interesting reading :mysmilie_59: Many not buying again.

I had a reply to my question back in November 2013, whereby Q said that I should talk to my Dr about any concerns with the change in ingredients .

It amazes me how many people won't use certain skincare products because it contains an ingredient that may or may not cause harm, with no scientific evidence to prove that it does. People smoke, drink more alcohol than the recommended weekly limits, eat too much sugary food, don't exercise enough, these are things that are proven to cause harm to the body which many people do, yet they are fixated with a chemical in a skincare product which has no scientific evidence that it causes harm.

Of course it's all down to personal choice. But working in the medical profession you really notice that people's decisions made around risk are very skewed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of people don't have a proper understanding of what different ingredients really are and what they do.

It's a case of chemical = bad

If we all really understood what was in our creams, hair products, toothpastes, washing powders, washing up liquids, food, and our household cleaning products we`d probably have a fit. Our skin covers our whole body, not just our faces and what we avoid in one item, is probably being absorbed from another item. It`s a minefield and you`d have to work really hard to 100% avoid "chemicals, toxins, additives " or whatever people choose to call them. I stick my hands into washing up liquid everyday, I dye my hair, I wash my clothes in detergent, I clean my house, brush my teeth, eat food bought from a supermarket and so on. God knows what`s inside my body !
I saw a documentary ages ago where 2 sisters had their blood analysed for certain chemicals and the readings were really high. For a month the scientists removed all their skincare, makeups, cleaning products, processed food etc and replaced them with things such as soap nuts for clothes washing, vinegar and lemon to clean with, nothing but fresh unprocessed food, organic makeup, basic vegetable derived skincare such as coconut oil, no deodorants, soap nut and henna hair products, home made toothpaste and then took the readings again. The levels had dropped dramatically but they still had a certain amount in their blood which had simply come from their environment, the furniture they sat on, the office they worked in and the world around them. Both girls said the month had been really hard, they felt their clothes, hair and bodies didn`t really feel clean, they hated the given makeup, face, hair and bodycare items and henna hair dye, they found cleaning their flat and making their meals took much longer and they couldn`t wait to return to many of their old items. So I guess it`s all down to choice and a sense of perspective.

Trial and error with my mild roseaca, I have found enzymes, fruit/lactic acids make me go red immediately. Rose I breakout in little white spots or if used near my eyes(Elemis Eye Mask), my skin goes very red and sore. Those are the only things I look at on the packaging, otherwise will give it a go. Oh and Q10 also breaks me out.

It is down to everyone's personal choice as to whether they use a product or not, I think it was more to do with the on air presentation stating it was all natural, then customers receiving the products only to see whole list of ingredients.

My personal concern was having used the previous bottle, the new version had a change in ingredients and I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't irritate my skin as I was using it in the bath following surgery for bruising and worried about the scar tissue.

Stirred up a hornets nest, wish I hadn't bothered.

No you haven`t stirred up a hornets nest at all !
You`ve opened a discussion which is what this forum is all about. It`s good to see lots of inputs and differing views. Most of the time people agree to disagree on things and threads rumble along quite nicely, just as this one is doing.
I note Q have removed lots of comments from the FB thread about SBC ingredients. They do that a lot these days.

People do need to be given information and then they can make an informed choice. It would no doubt actually result in less returns for beauty if QVC did put the ingredient list online.

It amazes me how many people won't use certain skincare products because it contains an ingredient that may or may not cause harm, with no scientific evidence to prove that it does.

I was surprised the lady who posted on Facebook (assuming we are talking about the same thread) is so concerned about product ingredients but just stashed her purchase away without checking the ingredients, only to find out after the MBG had run out that the products contained ingredients that were unacceptable to her.

Facebook Digest?

Sometime ago I emailed QVC about my concerns with the ingredient changes in the Arnica Bath Soak, just after their packaging upgrade and following the SBC range launch in Italy.

There appears to be quite a few comments on FB now regarding the ingredients of SBC products...makes interesting reading :mysmilie_59: Many not buying again.

I had a reply to my question back in November 2013, whereby Q said that I should talk to my Dr about any concerns with the change in ingredients .

I am interested in the FB discussion, but don't do FB. Would it be possible for someone to kindly give me an idea of what was said on FB? I contributed to a thread on SBC a few weeks ago when I said I had to throw out many bottles of SBC because they contained mesythliosomething.
Reading the labels on my bottles made me realise that QVC's promotion of this brand as a 'natural' one was way off the truth. Many thanks to anyone who replies to my request for information.

Weirdly a friend and I were talking about SBC yesterday, Ive loved SBC for the last couple of years, but recently feel like its no longer helping my skin, i think it could be down to the ingredients, ive not used any SBC for about a week and instead used PCMC from the Xmas Tsv and my skin feels so much better for it. I think SBC was drying my skin out and causing it to be more sensitive and red.

I like how quick and easy SBC gels are to use, and i still have plenty of bottles to use up, but i think i will be reluctant to order any more from the brand for alittle a while, even though the huge sizes are very tempted.

I always think Skincare is such a personal thing, what works for one person wont always work for another and i guess this is where Qvc's MBG comes in handy .

And of course there are those of us with contact allergies confirmed by patch testing so choice isn't even an option sometimes its just what doesn't trigger an allergic reaction.

I have as many allergies to chemical ingredients as I do natural. I prefer not to use chemical based and in some cases simply can't unless I want the peri oral dermatitis, wheezing chest, angioedema, puffy eyes etc. Natural can cause that too but the peri oral dermatitis is primarily triggered by steroid creams that I no longer use in fact my GP won't prescribe them anymore for me and anything with mineral oil. I have a severe allergy to the MI preservative confirmed by medical testing as opposed to just a view I've taken because of some press about it and finding that out along with a citral allergy caused me to stop using certain products and stopped forehead eczema and hand eczema with infections almost instantly so our choices based on what we can and can't use are in many cases due to proven clinical testing and not a whim.

There are soooo many things I would love to use but its just not an option :)

Never forget that Belladonna is a natural plant!

Companies often mislead by saying they use only natural ingredients conveniently omitting the fact that nature is the deadliest of all.

Never forget that Belladonna is a natural plant!

Companies often mislead by saying they use only natural ingredients conveniently omitting the fact that nature is the deadliest of all.
Yesterday I put a drop of lavender essence on a lavender bag to refresh it. As it smelt nice from a distance, I made the mistake of directly sniffing it. Big headache for about an hour and a half. That'lol teach me to put my nose in it!

How anybody can think SBC gel is a "natural" product beats me. Haven't they seen the colour of the collagen gel? Yikes! Looks like something the Americans may have sprayed on the Vietnamese back in the 60s.

qvc do love to tell people to stockpile because products will last several years unopened. a lot of people are allergic to some preservatives. some of the more natural brands use meth........... a common irritant

Quite apart from any natural vs un-natural ingredients etc SBC gels are basically largely alcohol and water... And putting alcohol on your skin is always going to dry it out. I remember I texted in ages ago to a show and Ali Young said it would be fine to use on face even if mega sensitive and when I wrote back isn't the alcohol in it bad she conveniently ignored the question..
If you do want to choose more natural brands of skincare trouble is they can be so pricey (I do use rose water as a toner etc but love Balance Me for example but can't afford it sadly!).

It amazes me how many people won't use certain skincare products because it contains an ingredient that may or may not cause harm, with no scientific evidence to prove that it does. People smoke, drink more alcohol than the recommended weekly limits, eat too much sugary food, don't exercise enough, these are things that are proven to cause harm to the body which many people do, yet they are fixated with a chemical in a skincare product which has no scientific evidence that it causes harm.

Of course it's all down to personal choice. But working in the medical profession you really notice that people's decisions made around risk are very skewed.
People generally know the risks to health but they take them because they want the pleasure that the extra piece of cheesecake ciggie etc gives them. Whereas we use skincare to improve our skin and if we think that an ingredient might actually harm it then that risks the desired outcome that would be our motivation for using the product in the first place.

How anybody can think SBC gel is a "natural" product beats me. Haven't they seen the colour of the collagen gel? Yikes! Looks like something the Americans may have sprayed on the Vietnamese back in the 60s.

Thats exactly what put me off.I was drawn to it because of the natural tag,I have sensitive skin, but the colours, the green is almost flourescent !!!

Latest posts

Back