why I would never buy from gems tv

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
I guess the Gems empire wouldn't collapse due to one less customer, but maybe other people feel the same?

My reason for not placing an order:
I find it annoying, actually quite rude, that the presenters now and again, decide to roll-call through the 'litany' of people who have placed an order whilst live on air. 'Naming and shaming' maybe!

"ah welcome back Mrs Thomas from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.. whoops hope I pronouced your location correctly"

Maybe its Gems way of proving they do have customers, maybe it is supposed to tempt the viewer to 'join the family' who knows.. I just see it as a reason not to buy. Especially when this happens..

"Well done Joan from Oxford! You've just won the gorgeous £9,000 tanzanite pendant" If I were the buyer of that item, I would be FUMING my custom was blurted out on air.

Can you imagine exiting the bullet proof triple glazed doors of Boodles of Bond Street, and its staff waving you off at the kerb shouting "farewell madam/sir, enjoy your diamonds!"

In fact, IMO, I just think it lowers the tone over all.
Maybe Gems really is the Jeremy Kyle of the Jewellery world - the Ratners of the 21st century!

All the jewellery channels do this. Think it's all part of the hype and to create tension in the so called bidding,ie all these people have called and got theirs so hurry up and buy or you will miss out......

Don't see its a problem. They sell great jewelry at good prices. Am always buying when I shouldn't be. Note to self, stop buying impulsively. I just watch the on line listings for gems, rocks and the lounge so avoiding listening to their screechy shouty ooohing and arring voices.

Last edited:
I watch on-line too but I have my profile set so that they don't read my name out. It wasn't an issue for me as I think all the TV selling channels do it but i just took the chance to stop it on Gems.

How annoying!! I bought on line couple days ago and same ring in auction today 17 quid cheaper. So gave bought it and plan to send more expensive one back when it arrives. Dya think the gems police will notice?

How annoying!! I bought on line couple days ago and same ring in auction today 17 quid cheaper. So gave bought it and plan to send more expensive one back when it arrives. Dya think the gems police will notice?

So funny! :mysmilie_17:
Hey SL, tell me, is the quality up to the 'hype'???

I am wondering, if I can set my membership to anonymous on Gems, I might sneak in an order, however, the consensus is their jewellery 'is tat'

So funny! :mysmilie_17:
Hey SL, tell me, is the quality up to the 'hype'???

I am wondering, if I can set my membership to anonymous on Gems, I might sneak in an order, however, the consensus is their jewellery 'is tat'

I have bought at least 100 rings/bracelets/necklaces/earrings from them. I have sent very few back. They are way cheaper than Q and the high st because they cut out the middle man and buy directly from the mine. They also put back some profit into making the miners lives better through decent pay, schools etc. I like them. They arrive quick. No quibble if you do send back and refunds happen a lot quicker now. They also are not pretentious me me me ****oles like Q lot.

I have a fair number of things bought over the years. You get what you pay for! The gold weights nowadays are pretty light in the cheaper offers so I always check the details before I buy. I have some really lovely pieces and also some 'holiday jewellery ' as well. I have returned the pieces that don't live up to expectation with no problems at all.

If you don't want your name read out, you can select that online, or phone them and tell them and in future your bid is classed as 'anonymous' - it's as simple as that. You obviously have a very negative impression of the company, but they really aren't bad, especially if you love coloured gemstones. You could never manage to collect such a wide variety in local jewellers because of price and availability. The quality is pretty decent for the price (not sure where the tat consensus comes from?). I'm sure the jewellery at Boodles is fabulous, but their prices are also eye watering and you must be paying for the name to some extent, but if you can afford them and the likes of Tiffany's etc, of course you should go for them.

Not only that but in reality just how many Mary's live in Cardiff?
It is so vague that you are really anonymous, and some people like to feel included and that is exactly what is happening when they either read out or list names and places along the bottom of the screen.
Or as has been said you can always ask to be anonymous.

You just need to call Gems within the hour & they will credit your account with the difference, no need to order another. The only exception are The Lounge shows.

The presenters are very shouty, but I have a couple of rings from them that I love.

A few years ago, one of the presenters on TJC very loudly announced that "so-and-so from X, your credit card was declined!" And she kept repeating it! The customer must have been absolutely mortified! I've never heard anyone do that on Gems!

Thanks all..

maybe I will order from Gems, and report back - after watching QVC's lame effort recently 'Gem Hunter Premiere' and their extortionate prices, double the price of Gems TV :mysmilie_15: got me thinking 'hold on JRE, test the Gemporia pudding before giving critique'

... Critique to follow! (wink)

Id really appreciate it if any of the Gemporia Magpies out there could recommend a first purchase? I will be ordering either a tennis bracelet (any gem) or a ring (any gem) or both

:mysmilie_508:

Last edited:
So you've had a good old rant, without actually knowing much about the channel?

You don't have to have your name read out on air. You can easily choose to be anonymous by ticking a box in your Web account or by speaking to the call centre. Simple. Not such a big deal after all.

As for the "tat" - well, there's something for everyone. Rings from £10 - through to one-off, extremely high quality rings in the thousands of pounds.

Even the £10 items (the ones that you probably regard as the "tat") aren't bad value for money. They're still made from sterling silver and a genuine gemstone. If you go to your local Primark or Claires Accessories type of shop, for £10, you'll get plastic or glass costume jewellery.

You get what you pay for - and Gems TV cater for everyone. They're not Bid TV - they're actually a very reasonable channel. Yes, some of the presenters are annoying - but other than that, it's a decent company.

Local call rate. £2.95 postage for as many items as you like per day. Price promises (if you see an item you've bought for less on another day, they'll give you the difference back).

Their Gem Collector Web shop is especially good. Incredibly rare stones that cannot be found anywhere else at really good prices.

Try it before you knock it.

So you've had a good old rant, without actually knowing much about the channel?

You don't have to have your name read out on air. You can easily choose to be anonymous by ticking a box in your Web account or by speaking to the call centre. Simple. Not such a big deal after all.

As for the "tat" - well, there's something for everyone. Rings from £10 - through to one-off, extremely high quality rings in the thousands of pounds.

Even the £10 items (the ones that you probably regard as the "tat") aren't bad value for money. They're still made from sterling silver and a genuine gemstone. If you go to your local Primark or Claires Accessories type of shop, for £10, you'll get plastic or glass costume jewellery.

You get what you pay for - and Gems TV cater for everyone. They're not Bid TV - they're actually a very reasonable channel. Yes, some of the presenters are annoying - but other than that, it's a decent company.

Local call rate. £2.95 postage for as many items as you like per day. Price promises (if you see an item you've bought for less on another day, they'll give you the difference back).

Their Gem Collector Web shop is especially good. Incredibly rare stones that cannot be found anywhere else at really good prices.

Try it before you knock it.

It is possible to comment on things without trying them for example, I've never tried bright red lipstick, meat or bunjee jumping but I know I wouldn't like it, we're all entitled to an opinion.

It is possible to comment on things without trying them for example, I've never tried bright red lipstick, meat or bunjee jumping but I know I wouldn't like it, we're all entitled to an opinion.

There's a difference between not liking something and criticising something without even having any experience of what they're criticising.

If I said I wouldn't buy a Ford Fiesta because I didn't like Ford's, then fair enough.

If I said I wouldn't buy a Ford Fiesta because they handle crap - without actually knowing if it handles crap but saying it anyway on the back of a pre-judgemental opinion, then that would be harsh and unfair.

Latest posts

Back