This is wrong, on serious and worrying level :(

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheesecake

Registered Shopper
Watched the 'Weight to Go' hour last night and was really worried, will be making an ASA complaint today.

Not once, did Dennice or the guest advise to check with your GP if this plan was suitable for you, not once did they offer situations where one shouldn't use this, in fact they often said that the plan was suitable for everyone, with the guest giving an example of her 80+ year old mother using it. Not once did they advise that if you feel unwell or get any adverse gubbinge during the plan to stop or consult your GP.

The plan as Dennice said, is based around 850 calories a day, and she pointed out that men can do this happily too.

850 calories a day diets should only EVER be taken up with the ONGOING input from a health proffessional, anyone doubting me on this can just simply google search and find that info themselves. Anything under 1200 a day is considered low, but 850 is drastic and I am genuinely abhorred that a shopping channel can just willy nilly bandy about 'use this' and 'men can use this' without offering AT LEAST several "check with your GP before starting it" every 10 minutes.

The NHS state that 800 calories or less is classified as a Very Low Calorie Diet,

"It’s important that VLCDs are only used by people who need them and that the diet is safe and followed properly. Cutting calories significantly can cause health problems such as gallstones, heart problems, and other issues associated with not getting the nutrition you need, such as tiredness and anaemia. A proper VLCD will ensure that you continue to get all the nutrients you need, and is typically followed under supervision, so that action can be taken if health problems occur.
The person undertaking the diet will also meet regularly with a trained member of staff from the organisation – usually called a counsellor or consultant – who will monitor their progress." Source: NHS.co.uk

This diet being pimped on Ideal World for men, women and elderly, in fact anyone, is only 50 calories a day over this..........

This is a quote from a Doctor and surgeon, regarding a very similar diet:

"Shifting from 850 calories for five days to 1,200 calories for two days can lead to ineffective weight loss. When the dieter is placed on a VLCD and then consumes 1,200 calories, “their body will change from an active calorie-burning mode to a calorie-storing mode,” which will in turn, decrease their metabolism,” Quebbemann said. Dieters may also being to feel immediate differences such as the feeling of fatigue, low blood sugar levels, and possibly binging on bad, sugary foods." Source : www.medicaldaily.com

Yeah, we can all have a laugh about Howard and his bowels, or Peter and his licking the vicar or whatever, but when this channel is allowed to sell and promote as healthy this diet which is 50 calories away from requiring medical supervision, WITHOUT a heavy and decent amount of advisories and warnings, 'check with your GP', etc, shocks and disgusts me. That's without the mental health implications of people wanting to use this even being covered......

It does sound rather irresponsible I agree, but we are talking about I/W here. Is there really any need to try to sell dietary aids/supplements without medical back up? Being over weight is a big problem for many, me too, but I watch what I eat and still find it a problem. Folks need to take control and help themselves more as best they can. Sadly there are those of us who are not mobile to burn off the excess. Another problem being, we all can't pay for top range food, and the cheaper alternatives sometimes contain ingredients that contain hidden fats, sugars, and salt. There is no easy answer, but I would urge everyone to consult a professional, and not be sucked in to these tactics. Also, on a personal note, it would be nice to see some of the presenters who gush over how good these products are, to use them themselves first! I rest my case - rant over - normal conditions now apply.:mysmilie_59:

Do any of us think IW really honestly care about customers?................Really? Like most companies that sell, they simply don't give a damn about customers, Its all just simply about get the highest amount of £££££ for the least amount of spend when its all said and done, don't get me wrong I understand that's the big bad world of business but it doesn't make any of it correct!!! Sadly thats the world we live in, in a perfect world channels like IW would be ten times better than they are. To start with just look a the quality of sales people they have.......................nuff said :wink:
PS all just in my humble opinion :thinking:

I totally agree, makes you feel a little more 'real' about the sales idiots they have when you realise they really don't care at all. I always laugh when I hear anyone saying how they like a presenter, or 'they seem genuine' or 'they seem likeable', I don't think ANY of them can honestly care a single jot, only if they get a sale.

I find it quite disturbing to be honest, I don't think I could seriously present a show like the Weight to Go, knowing full well that I'm not offering safety advice, or the 'Its not magic, its technoloooogy' radiators by using norty tictacs and playing on peoples worries and vulnerabilities, especially when in the next breath I'd be pimping how "we're family, friendship and fun"..........

I think if I had to do this job to feed my family, or pay my bills, I'd be looking for another job asap. The more and more I watch, the more disgusted I get, these people are incredibly low, but there, any single watch of Dennice using her daughters disability to pimp a purple teddy bear sort of tells you that in one go :(

The sooner I find another channel without terrestrial adverts the better :)

Latest posts

Back