Surreal experience - buying a watch battery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I was off out yesterday and put on a jacket I hadn't worn for a while, and in the pocket I found an old watch I'd forgotten I had - a cheap old thing probably cost me no more than a fiver, but I thought it'd be handy to wear for work. I decided that on the way to catch the bus I'd pop into our local hardware store and see if I could buy a battery for it. I went in and asked the oldish man behind the counter "Do you sell watch batteries?" He gave me a very odd glance and said " Yes- but you'll need to know the number- and we don't fit them, you'll need Timpson's in town for that"
That's ok, I said, I'm sure I can fit it myself. He decided to tell me that they don't entertain fitting watch batteries because some people have watches that are worth thousands of pounds and they couldn't be held responsible if anything went wrong! I joked well this one's only worth about a fiver. He passed me a stony look and said "Well you need to know that we don't fit them, and our reasons why" No problem, I said, I just want to buy a battery.

"What's the number?" I don't know off hand I said picking up the watch and glancing at the back, he took it from me and said "It's alright, I'm not going to steal it" - WTF?! "It's not on there madam" and pushed it back at me, so I said oh I'll try and take the back off it....."I can't do that, you'll have to go to Timpson's in town for that" I then literally picked the back off with my thumbnail and saw the battery sitting in there looking suspiciously like the battery I could see hanging on the display behind him. Ok, I'll check the number...he produced a small plastic magnifying glass and proceeded to try and read the numbers from it. The watch was sitting face down on the counter with the strap done up, he has trying to manoeurve the glass around the strap whilst he painstakingly wrote down the numbers on a piece of paper. Why don't you open the strap out, I helpfully said..."Oh, I'm not touching it" and continued writing this string of numbers down, by four digits I could tell it was indeed matching the number of the one he sold - Yes, that's it I said, he ignored me continuing to write another 4 or 5 digits. Finally he plucked a watch battery from the display and said "Yes this is the one you need" - I'm sorry but I won't be able to fit it for you - Timpsons down town will be able to do that, they've got insurance for that sort of thing - we don't entertain it here. Give it here I said, and with one quick pop the battery was in and the watch was working. That'll be £2.50 please madam - I paid and picked up the debris from the counter and headed towards the door......"excuse me madam, you'll be needing this", handing me the piece of paper with the number written on it! No, you're alright I said I'll go down Timpson's next time!

Not a good experience I must say. However for £2.50 you did well. My last battery in a low cost watch cost me a tenner, and it lasted less than 6 months, - I'll go to Timpsons next time too!! :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back