Please think twice.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hodgee

Registered Shopper
Before buying from this channel. I have bought a number of items from
gems BUT when a stone fell out of my morganite ring purchased in October2014 they were not interested as it was out of warranty. The stone simply fell out one day not through misuse but from bad workmanship IMO! I asked to take this further and was told you cannot because it is out of warranty I then asked to speak to a manager and was told they were busy and would ring me back. I was not going to fall for that and said I would wait upon that I was told "I will not allow you to do that". I again reiterated that I would wait and the negative attitude continued.... They want your money but can offer no substantial after sales beware and just take time to think if you really want to do business with them. :mysmilie_51::mysmilie_51:

Hodgee, assume you still have the paperwork from this order (invoice + certificate of authenticity showing date bought)? Have you checked Trading Standards or Citizens' Advice website (it's called Adviceguide) both of which should give consumer advice? Keep on e-mailing their Customer Services, refused to be brushed off - you can send the same e-mail repeatedly, - and add your comments to Consumer websites (like this one). Gems are also members of a Jewellery Federation, I think - check their website to see if you can find out - if so, write to them as well. The problem with jewellery is they (Gems, that is) will automatically assume you've caught the ring on something, which has caused the stone to be pulled/fall out, therefore "not my fault, Guv".:mysmilie_51:

Before buying from this channel. I have bought a number of items from
gems BUT when a stone fell out of my morganite ring purchased in October2014 they were not interested as it was out of warranty. The stone simply fell out one day not through misuse but from bad workmanship IMO! I asked to take this further and was told you cannot because it is out of warranty I then asked to speak to a manager and was told they were busy and would ring me back. I was not going to fall for that and said I would wait upon that I was told "I will not allow you to do that". I again reiterated that I would wait and the negative attitude continued.... They want your money but can offer no substantial after sales beware and just take time to think if you really want to do business with them. :mysmilie_51::mysmilie_51:

Thank you..... I will certainly take your advice

Hodgee, assume you still have the paperwork from this order (invoice + certificate of authenticity showing date bought)? Have you checked Trading Standards or Citizens' Advice website (it's called Adviceguide) both of which should give consumer advice? Keep on e-mailing their Customer Services, refused to be brushed off - you can send the same e-mail repeatedly, - and add your comments to Consumer websites (like this one). Gems are also members of a Jewellery Federation, I think - check their website to see if you can find out - if so, write to them as well. The problem with jewellery is they (Gems, that is) will automatically assume you've caught the ring on something, which has caused the stone to be pulled/fall out, therefore "not my fault, Guv".:mysmilie_51:

It is always useful to get someone else's input.

Complaint

It is always useful to get someone else's input.

I had a similar problem with a present. I managed to locate the replacement stone on their own website.
I e mailed asking for them to replace the stone free of charge. Had a few emails in response saying no.
I asked for my complaint to be escalated and a supervisor telephoned me back and agreed to my request.
Hope this helps, I nearly gave up, but decided to give it one last try.

I hope you got this sorted ? I've had a stone drop out shortly after one came out of a ring I bought for my friend. She lost her stone - I found mine but I was worried that I would have problems with two rings at the same time but I didn't. CS were fine - I sent them back and they replaced both and refunded my postage costs. I seem to think it was only 2 or 3 months after buying them. I have lots of rings from Gems and never had any other problems - I highly recommend them so can only think you had an unfortunate experience. Keep pushing though as I'm sure you 'll get it sorted.

I can only say that I have never had an issue with Gems customer service and unlike QVC you only pay one P&P all day and can send back multiple orders in the same parcel so saving postage both ways.
I have only recently started buying any sort of jewellery and after looking in my local high street Jewellers I have to say that I am very impressed with both the range and price of what they offer.
I do have to watch with the sound off though as the presenters really love the sound of their own voices and make Q's seem rather well mannered and tame in comparison. But I couldn't do what they do so I am not complaining.

madmax, I've bought many items from Gems and (touch wood) I've not had serious problems, either. They may have queried something, and only once I had a really strongly-worded complaint which I made to them, but they've always paid up and apologised in the end, and I've been phoned at home by customer service to apologise, also. I recently returned a pendant because the stone was chipped at the back - it didn't show at all from the front, but I thought no, I've paid for something perfect and I'm not settling for second best (and the pendant was £99, so not dirt cheap). They've refunded me the price of the item, the postage I paid AND the postage I paid to return item by special delivery, no arguments. In the past, I've also been given credits of the odd £10 or £20 given to me when I've had a moan. But 95% of everything I've ever bought has been fine, unlike Rocks & Co. - it's a real fight to get your money back from them - I waited two months for a refund, bombarded them every day with loads of e-mails and only then got my money + a £25 credit. But I just wouldn't buy anything else from them, not after my last experience. I found them a complete shower.

I can only say that I have never had an issue with Gems customer service and unlike QVC you only pay one P&P all day and can send back multiple orders in the same parcel so saving postage both ways.
I have only recently started buying any sort of jewellery and after looking in my local high street Jewellers I have to say that I am very impressed with both the range and price of what they offer.
I do have to watch with the sound off though as the presenters really love the sound of their own voices and make Q's seem rather well mannered and tame in comparison. But I couldn't do what they do so I am not complaining.

Last edited:
I've only been buying from Gems since January and never had a problem. A couple of times I've ordered a ring then a nicer one has come along, just got onto live chat and they cancelled the one I didn't want, no questions asked. Just last week I returned my first ring, nothing wrong with it just didn't suit me. Bought, returned and refunded within the same week.

I'll have to ease off on the spending now, yesterday bought a Pink Sapphire ring and today bought 2 different Rajasthan Garnet flower rings.

Latest posts

Back