Technically sold out?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Abdou66

Registered Shopper
Recently presenters have Been saying "the item has technically sold out" a lot. What does at mean? I assume it means they haven't really sold out but have sold the stock they allocated to that hour. The reason they keep the stock low (as that doesn't make much sense) is so they can shout out "we've sold out 80% of e stock" etc to try and make out the stock is flying out and encourage people to buy. Is that correct?

i believe its because they have say 10 items left and have 10 people on the phone or on the web ordering, that's what they have said in the past anyway

I also think they sometimes use these terms to encourage people to rush and buy the stuff.

I noticed in the Links hour at midday Chloe was getting very excited about the TSV selling really well ,stating its going to go limited and WILL sell out. She was very hyper and animated.More than usual.....

i have been caught up in this hyped up selling and ended up with various TSV I didn't need because I thought it was selling out and panicked.

I also think they sometimes use these terms to encourage people to rush and buy the stuff.

I noticed in the Links hour at midday Chloe was getting very excited about the TSV selling really well ,stating its going to go limited and WILL sell out. She was very hyper and animated.More than usual.....

i have been caught up in this hyped up selling and ended up with various TSV I didn't need because I thought it was selling out and panicked.

QVC thrive on panic buying and encourage people to do it, it's stupid really because the majority will probably return it and those returns will go out to other customers where they'll be paying full price for second hand goods. Before I made a conscious decision to stop buying from QVC, I noticed that TSVs come back as introductory prices and it's only a couple of quid more, so why skint yourself for the sake of a couple of quid more?. One example is I noticed once the Flora Mare TSV came back as an IP for 34p, yes 34p more than the TSV price.

Like you, when I last bought anything from Q (a good few years ago now), I found on a couple of occasions that it's best to ignore what the presenter is saying about state of stock. There was an item on screen that the presenter was babbling was "completely sold out", but I decided to ring in anyway (I spoke to the callcentre operator, so that if it was sold out I'd hopefully know straight away). Order was taken, item delivered a few days later. It happened to me on another occasion, too. OK, perhaps I was lucky and the item popped back into stock from someone's basket, but who knows?

QVC thrive on panic buying and encourage people to do it, it's stupid really because the majority will probably return it and those returns will go out to other customers where they'll be paying full price for second hand goods. Before I made a conscious decision to stop buying from QVC, I noticed that TSVs come back as introductory prices and it's only a couple of quid more, so why skint yourself for the sake of a couple of quid more?. One example is I noticed once the Flora Mare TSV came back as an IP for 34p, yes 34p more than the TSV price.

When I was young and gullible I would have fallen for these sales techniques and ended up with loads of things I didn't really need (or probably want!). I am older and hopefully wiser now and unfortunately for sales staff just assume they are lying. Like in department stores when they try to flog you expensive face creams and they stop you to demo it and claim you look 50 years younger. Yeah, whatever...

When I was young and gullible I would have fallen for these sales techniques and ended up with loads of things I didn't really need (or probably want!). I am older and hopefully wiser now and unfortunately for sales staff just assume they are lying. Like in department stores when they try to flog you expensive face creams and they stop you to demo it and claim you look 50 years younger. Yeah, whatever...

I agree Mutts, I try not to make eye contact with the staff when I enter a department store.

Me too! I have that "head down, purposeful walk" stance. My mum just said they don't stop her, there are some benefits to getting older!

Yeah, you do the old look up, smile and walk faster as if you've just seen someone you know who you need to get to quick before you miss them routine to hey? :mysmilie_17:

I'm usually OK. I absolutely don't respond to the hard sell, in fact it is easier to get blood out of a stone than any money from me in a hard sell!

I hear yeh, I have absolutely no problem telling a shop assistant "no thanks" :mysmilie_17:

I notice that IW's ''stock updates'' tend to be the same lines said at the same points of every hour, like it is literally rehearsed spiel.

Latest posts

Back