Busiest point in the show

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Abdou66

Registered Shopper
How come the busiest point of the show can be 5, 10, 20, 30 etc minutes into the set. It's almost like they just shout it out.

I think the busiest point in the show is when another channel has an ad break and viewers may have a brief flick across the other channels.

Or... the busiest point in the show is when they don't have any customers on the phones or activity on the website - so they're trying to get it moving again?

It is the busiest part of the show, till the next busiest part of the show, and then that's then the busiest part of the show till the.........well you know what I mean :mysmilie_14:

It's just a meaningless phrase to try and make the punters believe that others are buying. Peter Simon always says it twice with extra emphasis on the repeat ' Can I just say we're at the busiest point of the show now , the.............busiest.........point ......OF ...the..show!!!!!!'

It is the busiest part of the show, till the next busiest part of the show, and then that's then the busiest part of the show till the.........well you know what I mean :mysmilie_14:

I hope you are not suggesting that they are not being truthful? Outrageous suggestion... Got to go now and up my medication...

When he says "Can I just say......Can I just say...." I always want to yell at the screen "Well, blurdy well get on and say it, you twerp" (only I don't usually use the word 'twerp' if you know what I mean). Does he think it's heightening the drama for us, if he drags out his immortal words? Drives me nuts, just like that "Man of (No)Action" meCharlie, when he drawls one word every 2 minutes.
It's just a meaningless phrase to try and make the punters believe that others are buying. Peter Simon always says it twice with extra emphasis on the repeat ' Can I just say we're at the busiest point of the show now , the.............busiest.........point ......OF ...the..show!!!!!!'

Mum and I have a lighthearted wager. When we turn over in the ad breaks, how quickly a presenter will say how busy the phone lines are, what percentage of the stock has gone. It is usually within about seven seconds! It is so obvious they are told to say it all the time. Have you noticed they never seem to be quiet, the phone lines are always going mad, very busy on the web. If it is to rush me into making a purchase, it is not working!

Mum and I have a lighthearted wager. When we turn over in the ad breaks, how quickly a presenter will say how busy the phone lines are, what percentage of the stock has gone. It is usually within about seven seconds! It is so obvious they are told to say it all the time. Have you noticed they never seem to be quiet, the phone lines are always going mad, very busy on the web. If it is to rush me into making a purchase, it is not working!

I remember seeing a thread on here on IW when I was lurking... someone who had worked at IW had said something about them getting alerted when there was an ad break on another channel - so they do fling all the essential information out in those small gaps, to try to attract that fleeting channel-flicker. I think that's now what QVC have started doing. It's very irritating, and patently untrue when you are already watching and know the tactics.

I remember seeing a thread on here on IW when I was lurking... someone who had worked at IW had said something about them getting alerted when there was an ad break on another channel - so they do fling all the essential information out in those small gaps, to try to attract that fleeting channel-flicker. I think that's now what QVC have started doing. It's very irritating, and patently untrue when you are already watching and know the tactics.

How presumptuous of them to think we'll channel op over to them, I do some times but others I channel hop to my Sky TV guide or planner.

They are treating the potential audience like complete idiots. :mysmilie_10:

What I love more than anything is when they forget the percentage they have quoted and then say something different 5 mins later! Pope P is, of course, the worst culprit because he can't keep the figures in his brain(?). You get.."just dial, 80% of the stock's gone"...then 5 mins later, its the same spiel except 60%'s gone. Does someone out the back keep rushing into the studio with another ten tons of whatever it is they are flogging, so they keep upping the quantity in stock? If Pope P is working part-time as your accountant...be afraid, be very afraid, his arithmetic's a bit skewed.... Far from encouraging me to buy, it just has me in fits of laughter.

My favourite is when they start having a breakdown and saying "20% OF THE STOCK HAS SOLD OUT AND GONE!!". The other way of looking at that is that 80% is still available...

Anyway, they have the same 5 products on again and again. They never sell out of anything.

What I love more than anything is when they forget the percentage they have quoted and then say something different 5 mins later! Pope P is, of course, the worst culprit because he can't keep the figures in his brain(?). You get.."just dial, 80% of the stock's gone"...then 5 mins later, its the same spiel except 60%'s gone. Does someone out the back keep rushing into the studio with another ten tons of whatever it is they are flogging, so they keep upping the quantity in stock? If Pope P is working part-time as your accountant...be afraid, be very afraid, his arithmetic's a bit skewed.... Far from encouraging me to buy, it just has me in fits of laughter.

I work on the assumption that you can tell when they are lying. In Pope Pete's case it is when his lips are moving...

what you have to remember (and don't worry I know most on here do!) is no matter how high or low brow the channel and/or product, shopping channels are just another variant of any sales establishment whether it's a guy selling 5 towels for a fiver on the market or an exclusive store in the heart of london where you need an appointment to get in. they all have their sales tactics. in the case of something like IW:

'WHEN THEY'RE GONE THEY'RE GONE!!!' (emmm yes ... until the next showing of the product x days/weeks down the line.)
'IT'S THE BUSIEST POINT IN THE SHOW!!!' (prove it.)
'my nephew Jimmy has just bought one of the these, no sorry, he bought TWO!!! (prove it.)
'just look how uncomfortable it is for our bodies lying on a sprung mattress!!! (emmm, I don't sleep on a 30cm x 30cm piece of uncovered sprung mattress.)
'you need to be buying NOW, don't use the website, phone, these are gonna GO!!! (emmm, so you reckon most of the stuff you're showing now won't be available in the 1am repeat? yeah okay, I believe you ...)
'only £50 now on flexi, that's all we want!!! (thanks for trying to encourage me to get into more debt by highlighting how little I need to spend now.)
'just buy it, JUST BUY IT!!! (I will ... but from Amazon where the same product is £30 cheaper delivered.)

I'm not saying shopping telly is necessarily a whole lot worse or better than other sales establishments, all I'm saying is ignore the waffle and, if a product is what you want at a price that's right for you, buy it. but, ignore the waffle!!!

I'm not saying shopping telly is necessarily a whole lot worse or better than other sales establishments, all I'm saying is ignore the waffle and, if a product is what you want at a price that's right for you, buy it. but, ignore the waffle!!!

Perfect advice! :mysmilie_59:

what you have to remember (and don't worry I know most on here do!) is no matter how high or low brow the channel and/or product, shopping channels are just another variant of any sales establishment whether it's a guy selling 5 towels for a fiver on the market or an exclusive store in the heart of london where you need an appointment to get in. they all have their sales tactics. in the case of something like IW:

'WHEN THEY'RE GONE THEY'RE GONE!!!' (emmm yes ... until the next showing of the product x days/weeks down the line.)
'IT'S THE BUSIEST POINT IN THE SHOW!!!' (prove it.)
'my nephew Jimmy has just bought one of the these, no sorry, he bought TWO!!! (prove it.)
'just look how uncomfortable it is for our bodies lying on a sprung mattress!!! (emmm, I don't sleep on a 30cm x 30cm piece of uncovered sprung mattress.)
'you need to be buying NOW, don't use the website, phone, these are gonna GO!!! (emmm, so you reckon most of the stuff you're showing now won't be available in the 1am repeat? yeah okay, I believe you ...)
'only £50 now on flexi, that's all we want!!! (thanks for trying to encourage me to get into more debt by highlighting how little I need to spend now.)
'just buy it, JUST BUY IT!!! (I will ... but from Amazon where the same product is £30 cheaper delivered.)

You don't get department store staff chasing you round shouting only 10% left. Can you imagine it.

You don't get department store staff chasing you round shouting only 10% left. Can you imagine it.

:mysmilie_17: Would be hilarious to watch though - a load of Pervy Pete clones sliding their wet bums down the escalator rails chasing after customers screaming "Come back, oueerr Bet!"

Latest posts

Back