Generator steam irons

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ive used a steam generator for about 10 years and haven't burnt anything. What material are you concerned about? Some of the irons don't have heat adjustments but mine does have also I can adjust the amount of steam.

It does have heat adjustment and its always set in the middle heat with full steam both trousers were 100% polyester But I`ve seen on QVC and IW where they leave the iron standing on flimsy material and it doesn`t burn but because I wasn`t looking to buy can`t remember which iron it was :(

That was the polti I think. I've bought 3 steam generators and the first 2 cost a lot of money but didn't last that long. The last one I nought was 18 months ago and is a swan from amazon £66 can't really tell any difference, we'll not hundreds of pounds difference.

They tested some on tv yesterday, prog called something like "what to buy and how" on one of the main channels. One of the irons automatically adjusted itself for different materials, so it had no dial, and they left it standing on the cloth as it is guaranteed not to burn.

"One of the irons automatically adjusted itself for different materials, so it had no dial, and they left it standing on the cloth as it is guaranteed not to burn".

I have a feeling the iron Strato is talking about is from the "Philips Perfectcare" range, similar to the one i have.

Plus:
They are easy to use; you just fill the tank with water, plug it in only takes about 2 maybe 3min to heat and away you go and its fast.
There's not temp control, everything is controlled by steam pressure.
You can truly go from delicate to denim to school uniforms and back, anything that can be ironed, this will iron.
It irons polyester and wool without making them shiny.
Ours has nearly 7 bar of pressure, and a 450gr steam boost, which means the iron can sometimes feel like a water jet pack.
Despite the best efforts of my lot they have yet to succeed in burning anything with it, and believe me they have really and truly tried.

Cons:

Ours is apparently top of the range and now costs around £300, lets be honest who in there right mind pays £300 for an iron. Needless to say i didn't buy it, My lot went to JL criteria: need an iron that doesn't burn everything and you don't need a degree from Nasa to use, (JL) this one is just fill, plug and go, we'll take it, easiest sale JL ever made.
You need a good generator ironing board to cope with all the steam it generates.
Definitely with our one, you need to be careful with the boost and don't go mad, or you end up soaking everything.

On the whole ours is a good iron, and i know that Philips do other models with similar features for around £150, some even less less, but can't vouch for how good they are, although reviews for them seem to be good.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone ..think I`ll have to go for a middle of the road one as I can`t afford a very expensive one and don`t want one with bells and whistles ether or the OH won`t use it Think I`ve seen a Morphy Richards that you can leave and it won`t burn .... or he`ll have no unfrazzled clothes left to wear lol

I got caught up in the selly-telly ironing platforms hype (I can't remember their proper name) when they seemed to be on Q and IW every week. I got one as a TSV or POTD and enjoyed using it. But it has been boxed up for years as the partner I met later actually enjoys doing my ironing, with a run of the mill iron, I don't thinks she even uses it with steam.

They seem to have totally gone out of fashion, haven't seen one on Q for years.

Does anyone use one of these?

I got caught up in the selly-telly ironing platforms hype (I can't remember their proper name) when they seemed to be on Q and IW every week. I got one as a TSV or POTD and enjoyed using it. But it has been boxed up for years as the partner I met later actually enjoys doing my ironing, with a run of the mill iron, I don't thinks she even uses it with steam.

They seem to have totally gone out of fashion, haven't seen one on Q for years.

Does anyone use one of these?

you mean one of those steam press?? like the fast press? as IW had it on the other day & my mum would love one but dunno if she would use it even with her back pain & it hurts when she stands for a long period of time (i dont trust myself with an iron not with the amount i have loool)

I switch between an iron attachment for my polti (must be nearly 20 years old from QVC) and a steam press (2006 QVC). A lot depends whether I can stand comfortably to iron (polti) or not (steam press). Or if I'm really weary I don't iron anything and the world doesn't end!

You definitely need an open meshed ironing board to allow the steam through with the polti; an old-fashioned wooden board would disintegrate with the moisture!

I have arthritis which is now getting a lot worse plus a chronic illness which saps my energy sometimes. One of my greatest luxuries in life? Using an ironing service.

I wash it, bag it and send it off and it comes back on hangers and ready for the wardrobe. Absolute bliss!

That's my next stage I reckon Tiddly. I get all my bedding service washed at the laundrette as everything comes back flat and folded. then if I don't feel like ironing they go straight in the airing cupboard.

Latest posts

Back