Shoppingtelly forum and QVC have been my crutch!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

DunmowDizzy

Registered Shopper
I've had two bottles of champagne but still think I'm happy with starting this thread.

My mother died 17/2/2014 so almost two years ago and since that day my brothers have had a campaign to deprive me of my modest 30k inheritance. Accused me of theft from my mum of said amount and persued me though the courts and police. Police dropped there case after 11 months but civil case was today and I won outright. Executors are personally responsable for the cost although the cost budget allowed was 30k and actual costs had ended up 50 or more so will still be out of pocket but who cares.

I have spent 1000's on QVC and many hours on here as a crutch since this has happened. Strange but true but it has seen me through. Poorer of course, but the qvc spending pales into insignifiance compared to the lawyers costs and I managed to get through without taking one of the antidepressant or sleeping pills that my GP prescriped me. So many thanks to all for your companionship and distraction over the last almost two years.

Aw bless you ! We all have stories to tell - and how poignant is yours. I'm one of the first to carp on about Q, but at the same time realise that the channel is a crutch for those (like me) who live on their own, or cant get out of the house because of mental or physical illness, or have issues like bereavement.

You are not on your own DMD by any means. Losing my husband 13 years ago was a huge shock - which could have got me smoking again, but I didn't, and because I could have any channel I wanted to view - he always had the sport on, I discovered QVC and like you, I shudder at the amount I spent - I went berserk !! Admittedly there was so much more choice back then, and the jewellery was soooo well worth having.

The relief must be palpable that you feel now, so wallow in it, and a big 'well done you' for coming out the other side. Sink the champagne and have a good lie in tomorrow.

Big hug.

My best wishes DD. I put a brick wall up to a lot of my emotions and it works most of the time. You have had the worst time and well done you for coming out the other side. If you suffer delayed grief because the process was robbed from you at the normal time, please don't hesitate to get help if it gets too much.

Enjoy the champers and its well deserved.
Behind every user name is a real person living a real life and quite often we forget that.
If only we could all walk a mile in someone else`s shoes, then perhaps we would have more understanding.
There are many tales to tell on ST and I always feel privileged when someone gives me a rare glimpse into the real them.
As we go through life we become battle scarred and the older we get, the harder those battles seem but sadly we are born to lose many battles especially when it comes down to the death of our parents or other loved ones.
Our wounds are often painful and whichever salve eases the pain, whether it be QVC or anything else, then it`s ours for the choosing. When wounds begin to heal, then maybe we don`t need the salve quite as often.
For now, take whatever steps you need to heal both mind and body and good luck for a new future which begins tomorrow.

Yay! Congratulations! You've fought your own personal battle and come out the other end a winner, you deserve a glass and of champers..........or a couple of bottles. :mysmilie_17: Now, drink plenty of water.

Well done for hanging on in there.Sounds like its been a bit of a roller coaster ride and is made more difficult when family and loss are involved.

It's amazing I think that we don't know each other from all over the UK and yet can safely post on the forum and be involved in all sorts of conversations.

Enjoy the champers Dunmow ,no headache hopefully.......

Last edited:
You poor soul, it sounds like you've been through a right ordeal. Well done on getting through it and congrats on winning your case. I'm also very sorry about the loss of your mum.
My situation isn't quite the same but I am going through a lot of wrangling and upset to do with my partner's toxic relatives. Largely about money but plenty more besides really, and it also features an inheritance among other monies we've been done out of. It's been the hardest, most upsetting and enraging experience of my life so far, so I really feel for anyone who's been in a similar/comparable position.

What a dreadful, horrible, distressing experience, and that on top of losing your mum, too. My poor next door neighbour went through something very similar a couple of years ago, and it damn near destroyed her.
You can't choose your relatives, but I'm glad you found friends here. You have the moral victory of the judgement, if nothing else. Now that it's over, assume your rightful air of superiority, and enjoy the rest of your life. Don't give the rotten, scheming b*st*rds the satisfaction of seeing you eaten up by resentment.

As the saying goes, you can choose your friends etc etc...amazing how family changes when there's money involved.

My Dad went to sleep in '97 and I told Mum to spend the money as Dad had worked hard all his life for it and she had her housekeeping back then and had to watch the pennies... she enjoyed it until she went to sleep 5 yrs later.

Good luck, good health and happiness to you now, DD. Terrible experience, which I hope, somehow, you can put behind you eventually. Brave of you to share this, and to keep going through it all was even braver. May this be just the start of much better times. xx
I've had two bottles of champagne but still think I'm happy with starting this thread.

My mother died 17/2/2014 so almost two years ago and since that day my brothers have had a campaign to deprive me of my modest 30k inheritance. Accused me of theft from my mum of said amount and persued me though the courts and police. Police dropped there case after 11 months but civil case was today and I won outright. Executors are personally responsable for the cost although the cost budget allowed was 30k and actual costs had ended up 50 or more so will still be out of pocket but who cares.

I have spent 1000's on QVC and many hours on here as a crutch since this has happened. Strange but true but it has seen me through. Poorer of course, but the qvc spending pales into insignifiance compared to the lawyers costs and I managed to get through without taking one of the antidepressant or sleeping pills that my GP prescriped me. So many thanks to all for your companionship and distraction over the last almost two years.

Families can be awful (and are awful, especially when death and money is involved). I guess lots of us have lost out financially to families and partners. Huge hugs to you that you've come through this. On and up, what doesn't kill you (although I know it feels like it might), makes you so much stronger.

CC xxxx

Thankfully this terrible time is behind you and hope you go forward into a happier future and it is a credit to you for coping so well without having to resort to any medication.I often wish I had a family and then hear of experiences like yours.Go forward with as much Q spending & can afford--& enjoy the champagne! SFXX

Wishing you all the best for the future and hope its only good times ahead for you from now on!! You have earned it!!

Bless you, indeed, DMD!!! I think many of us find QVC when we are at a low ebb, and it does seem to fill a space we need filling. I have so much admiration for the strength you have obviously had to find to get through this ordeal. Not only to lose your mum, but then find that instead of being able to draw strength and comfort from your family, you find them ranged against you... the stuff of nightmares. You deserve your celebratory wine, you deserve the right to enjoy a bit of shopping, and it's quite the compliment that the forum has also helped you through. Thank you for sharing your story.

I hope that now your life has turned a corner, and more good things will be on their way to you.... and I hope we will be here cheering you on every step of the way!

Hi DMD I have read this thread now. I am really pleased you won but so bitter-sweet I imagine because it was members of your family and that must have made it 10 times harder. I know only too well how hard court cases are. I am the lawyer doing the advocacy most of the time and the cases I deal with are child protection ones, so are very sad. I have been a witness in court against a member of my own family several years ago and that was incredibly traumatic. I got very drunk on far too much wine afterwards and the mental scars stay with me to this day. And I was just a witness, on the stand for an hour and a half. It must be so much worse being the applicant, the plaintiff, the defendant or the respondent against a member of your own family, or in a messy divorce or family matter. It's ok for me as the detached lawyer with a job to do and a case to argue, but I hope I have gained enough experience of the reality for those involved for me to have genuine empathy for you. X

Thanks all for the messages.

Just to elaborate a little on why QVC and tellyshoppingforum have helped me.

How Mum and I did our shopping, how and on what she spent her money was key to their claims as the majority of her spending was through me or with me. So changing my spending habits was easier for me as going out to the shops or regular websites used was emotionally painful. QVC was also an opportunity to treat and pamper myself at this hard time as for years my priority was my children and mum.

Taking better care of myself has improved my self confidence now too so hopefully I can turn this experience into a positive going forward. In summing up the Judge described me as the more confident and assertive sibling which amazed me as I have always felt the opposite and my self esteem has held me back at times. However, I think the fact that I could answer questions confidently since I had the knowledge and truth on my side, whereas they either didn't know or were lying combined with my greater confidence in my appearance from taking better care of my self with all those QVC purchases gave the Judge that impression.

Latest posts

Back