Your Notion of the QVC Makeup First Division

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

neelia

Registered Shopper
I am a self confessed make up junky and my heart does a wee flutter when I see a make up TSV and another if I buy if and another when it arrives. I have done a lot of fluttering in my day. When I started shopping on QVC I bought most on them. I now try and exercise a wee bit of restraint. I have formed my wee notion of the "best" make up brands based on my experience, reading reviews and reading comments on here.

In the first division I think we have

Tarte (not had any yet but I am being swayed by you lot and reviews on QVC.)
Joan Collins (Ditto - really tempted as the packaging seems to have a wow factor as well as good quality make uo)
Doll10 (Again but I await my TSV) (could be vulnerable to relegation ;) )
Bobbi Brown. I have to give in to a wee BB fix now and again.

These are the ones I am going to have the most trouble resisting. I used to go mad on the baked stuff in LG but I think i am getting over it - plus I have so much of it (not that that ever really stops me.

I have had a few of Tova make up items and I absolutely love them. The eye shadow colours were exceptionally flattering on. Maybe it is just that they happened to suit me specifically.

What are your first division? On the basis that there are no "right" answers just our differences of opinion

I think it gets more specific than just makeup brands: You can divide it up into specific brands for specific products (Joan Collins lip sticks seem to get rave reviews, for example).

Each brand seems to have a widely appreciated item with more mixed reviews for other products.

It appears that there is a changing of the guard, with newer makeup brands coming to the fore, generally at the expense of more established brands. It's interesting that fewer of the "must have" products come from QVC's traditional go-to (big selling) brands: Mally, Bare Minerals and Laura Geller.

I only bought ybf brow pencil alas no more. Due to very sensitive skin don't risk any Q offerings on makeup now, stick to trusted high street stuff.

mac is my mega fav make up brand then benefit and lastly bobbi brown. i dont like qvc make up on the whole ie mally and laura geller

I think makeup is one of the reasons why it might be a good idea to go to Beauty Bash. How else can you try their foundations to find a good colour match? I'm sure that if you were sending back a number of makeup items because of poor colour match you could quickly pay the amount of a beauty bash ticket and more.

For foundation it was sheer good luck that I found Fair Balance & Brighten suited me... I tried it on the strength of Laura Geller herself... but my gut feeling on not going for a Bare Minerals set was justified... QVC don't sell my shade... and by and large the US makeup brands are too yellow for me.

I would love to go to Beauty Bash. In 2014 I was away a lot dealing with two sudden deaths in my family and I got a massive backlog in my post. By the time I got round to reading the letter that invited me, it was too late. I didn't get invited to the 2015 one. I wonder if that was my only shot at it. Or if because I didn't respond the to my 2014 invite, I will not be asked again.

On non QVC I love Mac.

My favourite makeup item for a long time was an eyeliner pencil by YSL. It was a very flattering dark teal. Nothing else came close and I was really upset when they discontinued it. I have about three on them on the go at any one time but I was still anxious. When I was enquiring about it in a dept store. The shop assistant took pity on me as I was so horrified she gave me the old simply pencil for free. I was then delighted that they had replaced it with a different eyeliner type (not a pencil) but the same colour. - Yves Saint Laurent Pretty Metal Fall Collection: Couture Kajal.

i dont do qvc make up specially the kits/tsv's. you end up spending £50 on each and may only like one item. i like to spend several days looking for a few items i love like neelia and her fav ysl pencil. i dont find the make up qvc sell spectacular. i know the two items i have from kits that i like and thats from a lot of kits. plus i hate stockplies. if i see one it makes me cross lol

I used to go mad on QVC buying makeup, then the internet came along.

Loved Smashbox but Estee Lauder bought them and as per usual the quality went down big time and of course they pulled them from QVC. I still have some of the eyeliner palette which where my favourite products.

Tart I do like but so far only bought palettes and blushers.

Joan Collins, Doll 10,YBF(now gone from Q), Laura Geller never interested me at all.

MAC I used to love, but again Estee Lauder have really dumbed down on the brand. The quality is no where near what it used to be, I still like their lipsticks. Loads of makeup artists refuse to use the brand now because of the quality.

Bobbi Brown I have quite a bit from the days before Estee Lauder again bought them out. I find them very boring now and walk past the counter without looking at all.

I loved Prescriptives, but Estee Lauder killed the brand off. It does still exist online only in the US only.

Becca, I have a few pieces not bought from QVC, did get a sample of the new foundation to try.

Brands I use are none QVC these days.

Eyebrow Hourglass, their Blond has no red in it.

Lipsticks: YSL,By Terry, Kevyn Aucoin,Burberry

Foundations: Burberry,Ellis Faas,Guerlain,By Terry,Charlotte Tilbury

Blush: Burberry,Charlotte Tilbury

Eyeshadow, Zoeva,Burberry,Armani,Laura Mercier, NARS.

With QVC TSVs what I found happening was I was buying but only liking a few items then ended up giving away the rest. So I just stopped buying them. I rummage on Ebay for bits I want. The last Tarte TSV I only wanted the palette and a few weeks later got one for £20(quite a few sellers trying to get £30+), so that price was right for me.

I must be a bit of a lightweight when it comes to makeup. I`ve never really been tempted by most of Q`s brands, probably because I`m one of those people who really needs to test colours and textures before I buy. I also have sensitive skin and certain ingredients such as talc are a big no no for me.
I love the original Mally mascara and one or two of her eyesticks but other than that, I`m not interested in anything they sell. The p and p is too high, the hassle of returning is a pain in the butt, they don`t list ingredients and its quite often a stab in the dark whether colours would be right for me or not.
I`m retired now so I don`t wear makeup everyday and I also can`t afford to make expensive mistakes so I ensure I use everything I buy and I certainly don`t need a stockpile. I find most makeup counters will let you try their stuff, many will actually give you a mini makeover so you can test over a period of hours whether something will irritate and there are often some good deals to be found.
I tend to stick with mineral eye shadows or fragrance free eyesticks such as Mally or No 7. The same with mascara. I use either Lily Lolo mineral powder makeup or Boots No7 lift and luminate liquid foundation if I want full cover. Clinique loose powder to set any liquid foundation because strangely enough the No 7 loose powder has talc in it. The Clinique one is twice the price but it lasts me at least 2 years.
I love lipsticks and some of the best lipsticks are Avon but Yves Rocher do a splendid range in a gold case and I also have high street brands such as L`Oreal, Max Factor and No 7. The same with lip glosses.
That`s it, my makeup in a nutshell, basic, functional, most of it bought on 3 for 2 or with discounts and the odd Mally items I usually buy off Ebay or a set of 3 mascaras when Q have them in stock. All of the big stores have regular offers, the likes of Superdrug do free p and p on orders over £10, my local Boots will let me play to my heart`s content with their products and the lady on the beauty counter actually told me if I buy something, dislike it, then just to return it and tell a little porkie that its caused skin irritation and they`ll refund the cost but sssssh that`s a secret lol. Avon also do the same, if you tell your rep that something you`ve bought isn`t good for you, they`ll also refund.

Looks like Estee Lauder is the grim reaper of make up quality. I do like EL make up though.

Going off QVC again I really love some of the Barbara Daly suff that Tesco does. It costs buttons but is really good quality. I was looking for it in the local Tescos a while ago and couldn't see it. I asked and the lady I spoke to said that they had been told to put Madeline out instead. She agreed with me that it was lovely stuff and she said that she and the other staff still rummage though the stock. She then went away and came back with a load of stuff from the store room and I had a good rummage and bought loads. I love the highlighters and the cream eyeshadows.

Isn't it peculiar that EL purchases these brands then ruins them.? What sort of strategy is that?

I used to go mad on QVC buying makeup, then the internet came along.

Loved Smashbox but Estee Lauder bought them and as per usual the quality went down big time and of course they pulled them from QVC. I still have some of the eyeliner palette which where my favourite products.

Tart I do like but so far only bought palettes and blushers.

Joan Collins, Doll 10,YBF(now gone from Q), Laura Geller never interested me at all.

MAC I used to love, but again Estee Lauder have really dumbed down on the brand. The quality is no where near what it used to be, I still like their lipsticks. Loads of makeup artists refuse to use the brand now because of the quality.

Bobbi Brown I have quite a bit from the days before Estee Lauder again bought them out. I find them very boring now and walk past the counter without looking at all.

I loved Prescriptives, but Estee Lauder killed the brand off. It does still exist online only in the US only.

Becca, I have a few pieces not bought from QVC, did get a sample of the new foundation to try.

Brands I use are none QVC these days.

Eyebrow Hourglass, their Blond has no red in it.

Lipsticks: YSL,By Terry, Kevyn Aucoin,Burberry

Foundations: Burberry,Ellis Faas,Guerlain,By Terry,Charlotte Tilbury

Blush: Burberry,Charlotte Tilbury

Eyeshadow, Zoeva,Burberry,Armani,Laura Mercier, NARS.

With QVC TSVs what I found happening was I was buying but only liking a few items then ended up giving away the rest. So I just stopped buying them. I rummage on Ebay for bits I want. The last Tarte TSV I only wanted the palette and a few weeks later got one for £20(quite a few sellers trying to get £30+), so that price was right for me.

Estee Lauder bought out Bobbi Brown in 1995 way before she launched in the UK so unless your make up is pre-1995 and you bought it in the States you are incorrect. In saying that, I do think that recently some of her products are hit and miss.

I've never bought make up from QVC as I don't wear any foundation/powders as I've never been into that type of skin make up. I like No7 for other types of make up and my go to mascara is YSL, because they do a grey one which is kinder to my complexion than black

Haven't been on here for ages but had to comment on this!

Used to buy loads of make up and skin care from QVC but went off most of it when I started looking into the ingredients and animal testing policy of their products. Despite asking Q and AY for a comment or a recommendation they simply dont reply - I suspect cos if they do it gets complicated as to who does what and where.

Anyhoo - most of the brands (not all but most) of the make up and skin brands are owned by HUGE companies who still have connections to China and their animal testing rules. Once I realised that, I was down to about two TSVs a year - saved me a fortune and at least I know that I am not supporting companies with, IMO, dubious ethics!

Estee Lauder bought out Bobbi Brown in 1995 way before she launched in the UK so unless your make up is pre-1995 and you bought it in the States you are incorrect. In saying that, I do think that recently some of her products are hit and miss.

Yes, it was early 90s, the old round shape eyeshadows and blushers, Bobbi did not believe in shimmer or metallic at all back then. A friend used to send stuff from the US, I sent her money and said what I would like. I did not try the foundation until it hit the UK, I went to an event in Glasgow and was colour matched. Powder products do not go off, actually I never really use much now, her lipsticks used to develop a weird smell pretty quickly and I threw out. Now the shades all seem to be very similar to each new
release.

In the 90s upwards they was a mad buying spree by the big three Estee Laude, L'Oreal and LVMH to buy up cosmetic companies, it was all about profit.

Estee Lauder bought out Stila which was a lovely niche brand, tried to turn them into MAC by releasing new collections every 2 -3 months. The quality dived, you put a brush in an eyeshadow and the pan was hit nearly first go. Stila used to come in lovely little cardboard packaging with little sayings inside. Then they sold the brand as it didn't really make money for them. Since then Stila has been sold 2 or 3 times. The one you see now is a mere shadow of the quality texture and colours of old. Look what they did to Aveda.

L'Oreal seem to take more care of their brands YSL,Lancome. LVMH destroyed Guerlain,Dior and Givenchy perfumes. They are known as the anti christ on many perfume boards.

I must be a bit of a lightweight when it comes to makeup. I`ve never really been tempted by most of Q`s brands, probably because I`m one of those people who really needs to test colours and textures before I buy. I also have sensitive skin and certain ingredients such as talc are a big no no for me.
I love the original Mally mascara and one or two of her eyesticks but other than that, I`m not interested in anything they sell. The p and p is too high, the hassle of returning is a pain in the butt, they don`t list ingredients and its quite often a stab in the dark whether colours would be right for me or not.
I`m retired now so I don`t wear makeup everyday and I also can`t afford to make expensive mistakes so I ensure I use everything I buy and I certainly don`t need a stockpile. I find most makeup counters will let you try their stuff, many will actually give you a mini makeover so you can test over a period of hours whether something will irritate and there are often some good deals to be found.
I tend to stick with mineral eye shadows or fragrance free eyesticks such as Mally or No 7. The same with mascara. I use either Lily Lolo mineral powder makeup or Boots No7 lift and luminate liquid foundation if I want full cover. Clinique loose powder to set any liquid foundation because strangely enough the No 7 loose powder has talc in it. The Clinique one is twice the price but it lasts me at least 2 years.
I love lipsticks and some of the best lipsticks are Avon but Yves Rocher do a splendid range in a gold case and I also have high street brands such as L`Oreal, Max Factor and No 7. The same with lip glosses.
That`s it, my makeup in a nutshell, basic, functional, most of it bought on 3 for 2 or with discounts and the odd Mally items I usually buy off Ebay or a set of 3 mascaras when Q have them in stock. All of the big stores have regular offers, the likes of Superdrug do free p and p on orders over £10, my local Boots will let me play to my heart`s content with their products and the lady on the beauty counter actually told me if I buy something, dislike it, then just to return it and tell a little porkie that its caused skin irritation and they`ll refund the cost but sssssh that`s a secret lol. Avon also do the same, if you tell your rep that something you`ve bought isn`t good for you, they`ll also refund.

YSL have 7 day samples of their new foundation, went to a few stores and got one from each. Smashbox have samples of their new primer so did same and have a few to try. These will last as I barely wear foundation.

I hardly every buy makeup from QVC these days. The last item I bought was the Becca After Glow palette, but resold it new and at cost on Ebay as the pans were tiny and shades too bronzy for my complexion.

I tend to spend my money on NARS, By Terry, Hourglass, Chanel and Anastasia Beverly Hills. I am making my way through a Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation which is perfectly good but will buy an Hourglass or By Terry foundation once its finished.

Hourglass Ambient finishing powders are the best I've ever used. I'm madly in love with the newly launched Hourglass Ambient Strobing powders - Euphoric is my favourite and I wear it daily. Their slanted brow pencil is very good too.

By Terry do the best eye shadow sticks - Ombre Backstars. I've just finished one in Misty Rock and just bought a replacement. This is the first time I've ever replaced an eyeshadow so I really must love it!

I love NARS for blush, eyeshadows, their Multiple, lipsticks and their Audacious Mascara. However, I am using a fab mascara by Lumene, which is a Finnish brand and isn't available here. I stock up when in Stockholm, at least once a year. It has Arctic Blueberry in it, doesn't irritate and they do a navy shade which is perfect.

I stopped buying Laura Geller yonks ago - B&B just doesn't suit me - the colour is always wrong no matter if I buy Fair or Medium and it settles in my lines and pores giving a caked look. Also the TSVs are very samey and the colours are not very inspiring or unique. My local Debenhams now stock Laura Geller, but I've yet to see anyone testing the products or even buying them.

On the subject of MAC, I agree the quality has gone downhill. I have a couple of matte lipsticks as well as a Mineralize blush which I really like. I also like their Studio Tech compact foundation which is just perfect for travelling and for applying quickly on the mornings I need to leave early for work. But their eyeshadows leave much to be desired and again the constantly flow of new collections are very samey.

Latest posts

Back