Is the new system fair?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
Sorry to keep wingeing about the new system; but I've had another thought.

Yesterday, I grabbed a one-of-kind ring, only to find out from the chat that a couple of other people really, really wanted it (one of whom had actually requested it; although as it happens I had requested it several times too), and they missed out by a fraction of a second. Obviously I wasn't aware of this when I secured the item, and I now feel really guilty about it.

Under the old system, those who were interested in the ring would have had a fair chance to bid up to their maximum, and the person with the highest bid would win the auction. With the new system, it just seems like a lottery as to who can click the button first.

Miss M thats the name of the game. You shouldn't feel bad about it because if they had got it first then you also would have lost out despite also requesting it. Its whoever has the most nerve to hold out and wait for the price to be right that gets it. I'm absolutely sure the other person wont be cursing you.

Don't be daft - it's an auction. You got it fair and square and I'm sure no one else will lose sleep over it. :60:

Don't feel bad MissMagpie thats how auctions work! I am sure no one will hold it against you! Out of interest what ring was it?

Dont worry about it MM all of us that log in know the rules , its an auction and who evr gets to the button first wins , enjoy your ring

All's fair in love and bling buying Miss M!!! At the end of the day, if you were prepared to pay more, or had a quicker 'buy' finger, then you got the item. Same chance for everyone IMO.

It may have been a one off, but if Rocks see it could be a popular design, perhaps they will make more.

:doggie:

hey MissM don't fret about it. there are loads on thing on there that folks would like and bid on accordingly - lots of people miss out for all sorts of reasons. Someone has to win these things. it was your good fortune so enjoy it.

Agree with all the other posters. I never begrudge anyone for 'beating' me, in fact I think; good on them for winning.

You win some, you lose some.

Like Lady Mad says; all is fair in love and bling ;).

Enjoy your ring and wear it in good health MissMagpie :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Totally agree with everyone. It's an auction, only one person could get it and it goes to whoever is willing to press the button first. It was fair.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better!

But my real point is that the system isn't really fair - in an auction the item should go to the person who's prepared to pay the most, not the one with the fastest keyboard skills. In this case there was only one crash, and the other bidders missed out by a fraction of a second.

Don't feel bad about it hun.

I like the new format it makes sure no-one can bid really early on an item they may not really want in the first place and push the price up. This way you get what you think is a fair price and not what other people have pushed the price up too.

Don't feel bad about it hun.

I like the new format it makes sure no-one can bid really early on an item they may not really want in the first place and push the price up. This way you get what you think is a fair price and not what other people have pushed the price up too.

This is something that used to bother me about the rising bid auctions as I saw it happen numerous times.

Its a shame that it was a one-of-a-kind and yet was so nice that it was requested by a few people. Hopefully Rocks will take note and make some more. So don't feel bad Miss M, you had made prior requests for this piece. What was it, may I ask?

The format is the same as Gems and TJC (and Rocks&Co) so I don't think it's a case of not being fair. If somebody wants something badly enough, they'll be prepared to pay a little bit more and jump in quicker.

Unfortunately that's the nature of a falling auction. You pressed the button first so you got it. I've lost out to people doing this and conversely I've won items. It evens itself out in the long run. I look at it that if I wasn't meant to have it, I wouldn't get it!!!!!

Latest posts

Back