90th birthday gift help

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

nicnac

Registered Shopper
My dad is 90 end of march, and we have absolutely no idea what to get him. Desperately seeking ideas!

He was diagnosed with terminal esophageal cancer at christmas and has recently had a stent put in, so any food or drink is out.

Would like it to be something special, but can't think of anything.

any ideas? :mysmilie_506:

I`ve no idea what your Dad likes or dislikes or what his physical capabilities are so its a tough call.
A DAB radio, a kindle if he likes reading and might struggle with the small text in books, a magazine subscription if he`s "into" something, concert tickets or tickets to a play, a comfortable recliner chair, a real sheepskin gilet, I don`t know if he wears hats but my Dad used to love having a new trilby, some lovely designer spectacles ( if he wears them ), a day trip to somewhere he`s always wanted to visit, a pocket watch or wristwatch specially engraved.

Would he be interested in a family history type of thing?

Each family member/close friend could contribute some photo and written note covering each decade of his life to help him reminisce both with visitors or on his own. It is especially good if you can go a little off piste to make it really interesting.

My dad is 91 and everything we buy seems to lie in drawers but he always enjoys it when we look at old photos and books.

Digital photo frame loaded with pics of family.
Bird feeder, one that attaches to window, or a bird table to stand nearby, where he can observe from his bed or chair.
A cosy blanket and cushions.

I got my dad a pair of mini lightweight folding bird watching binoculars and a book to identify them as he sits by the window most of the day.

How about copies of newspapers from pertinent times in his life? Birth, when he was 21, when he got married, first child born etc. http://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/old-newspapers/?gclid=COKL6uHj98oCFQso0wodbsMCHw

That's pretty much what I was going to suggest only mine was to get one of those books that contain a newspaper front page for each of his birthday dates for every year since his birth to present day. They come in a smart leather look book which can be personalised with the recipient's name and a message from the giver!

Latest posts

Back