What a gimmick !!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

diamonds

Registered Shopper
Craig forever seem to be aahing about the pieces or items his sister likes or friends like .How true are they ? Many presenters seem to do Similiar and many a shows they say that they had got a item for more expensive price ,before it was on QVC or other channel .Do they really take the viewers to be fools .They buy from the dreaded high street and gush over the item on QVC .Double standards .

They all do it, on every channel. On the jewellery channels, they'll say a friend bought something in a High Street jewellers, or they themselves bought something before they worked for the channel - and of course they've now realised they could have got it so much cheaper, blah de blah. It's just one more ploy to make you think the High Street shops are a con, they'll quote a high price paid and claim that only on their channel will you get good value and quality for the same, or better.
Craig forever seem to be aahing about the pieces or items his sister likes or friends like .How true are they ? Many presenters seem to do Similiar and many a shows they say that they had got a item for more expensive price ,before it was on QVC or other channel .Do they really take the viewers to be fools .They buy from the dreaded high street and gush over the item on QVC .Double standards .

Last edited:
We can have a good laugh at these things, and it reminds me a bit of the jewellery channels going on and on about how China is buying up all green gemstones and how much silly money the Chinese are prepared to pay.....so of course we should buy ours, now! I'm just off to sell my £19.99 peridot ring for megabucks - see you in Monte Carlo (now, where did I put that telephone number for my Chinese contact??)
Nothing beats the family selling jars of Fresh Air to the Chinese for £80 !!!!!!!!!

It isn`t the silly statements which scare me, its the people who actually believe them who need certifying. Those who swallow the hype, hook, line and sinker, from someone who believes a £200 set of skincare being sold by a salesperson botoxed to glory, will work wonders, to someone else who thinks a £19.99 candle will mentally transport them to faraway beaches or a £14.99 pair of earrings will cut it alongside a £14k diamond pair and so on and so on, the list of stupid statements is endless.
Selly telly knows no boundaries, it`s glorified sales staff are prepared to say anything and another scary thing, is I get the feeling that the presenters actually believe their own lies.

I think some of the presenters do believe it. I've noticed that more and more the "get yours now, we probably won't have it for sale this time next week/month/year" sales line is evident, especially with Tanzanite and Peridot - how long have they been telling us that Tanzanite is getting rarer than hen's teeth, but still we see pyramids of it for sale almost every day? And by the law of averages, there will be people who believe it wholeheartedly, even though the jewellery channels seem to be up to their knees in it. Makes you wonder how they classify "rare".
It isn`t the silly statements which scare me, its the people who actually believe them who need certifying. Those who swallow the hype, hook, line and sinker, from someone who believes a £200 set of skincare being sold by a salesperson botoxed to glory, will work wonders, to someone else who thinks a £19.99 candle will mentally transport them to faraway beaches or a £14.99 pair of earrings will cut it alongside a £14k diamond pair and so on and so on, the list of stupid statements is endless.
Selly telly knows no boundaries, it`s glorified sales staff are prepared to say anything and another scary thing, is I get the feeling that the presenters actually believe their own lies.

When I used to shop with QVC, it was Barbie Sutton who I found talked about her kids and husband with every breath............. Claire like the majority of the adult population, you love your kids and husband yeah, yeah we get it.

I have to laugh at Meltdown Brown shower products; there is nothing funnier than being sold a fragrance that's the idea of being somewhere else ! "oh this smells like the sandy beaches and fringed palm trees of the Caribbean with just a hint of frangipani", er no, more like a windy day in Ramsgate actually.

And I agree about the Tanzanite myth - what a great selling stunt dreamt up by the ad agency that's been. When first shown by QVC I remember distinctly Dale pontificating that there were less than 10 years supply left, which made it more valuable than diamonds - huh ! that was at least 12 years ago, and now they're flogging it set in silver !!!!

A couple of years ago, a quick comment was made on Gems TV (you had to be quick and with the volume turned up full blast in a silent room to hear it) - something along the lines of they now believe there are some more years left of Tanzanite than originally estimated. Oh what a laugh that was - I think any of us could have foreseen it, without taking a trip to the mines ourselves! Perhaps the very top-grade stuff will be rare in years to come, but there's too much of the bog-standard stuff being sold for it ever to be rare, surely. It seems they've switched their attentions to peridot these days, with the story of its popularity in the Chinese market - although they'll have to change again now the Chinese market's taken a dive.

I have to laugh at Meltdown Brown shower products; there is nothing funnier than being sold a fragrance that's the idea of being somewhere else ! "oh this smells like the sandy beaches and fringed palm trees of the Caribbean with just a hint of frangipani", er no, more like a windy day in Ramsgate actually.

And I agree about the Tanzanite myth - what a great selling stunt dreamt up by the ad agency that's been. When first shown by QVC I remember distinctly Dale pontificating that there were less than 10 years supply left, which made it more valuable than diamonds - huh ! that was at least 12 years ago, and now they're flogging it set in silver !!!!

I buy because I like the look of a piece and will wear it
Not to have it shut away just in case it becomes a collectors item. I am only ever going to be able to spend peanuts so I know I won't be getting the AAAA grade of any gemstone.
I am not going to be swayed by the sales person telling me that it is as rare as "hens teeth"

I believe this is the only criteria by which you decide whether or not to buy. Big mistake to try to second-guess what's going to be valuable in years to come - according to one of the antiques experts on "Flog It!" a while back, some of the older costume jewellery is worth more now than genuine jewellery with precious stones. Who would have thought it? Buy what you like, that's it.

I buy because I like the look of a piece and will wear itNot to have it shut away just in case it becomes a collectors item. I am only ever going to be able to spend peanuts so I know I won't be getting the AAAA grade of any gemstone. I am not going to be swayed by the sales person telling me that it is as rare as "hens teeth"

Latest posts

Back