Steven Corfield's shop broken into.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well at least he didn't wax lyrical about it. Not even a flicker of angst last night - quite a feat considering he had to be stuck with a yishping Jill Franks (who's had dental work done - she kept covering her mouth) but even she was bearable for a change, and didn't get on my wick as much as usual. Although I did notice that her face looked a bit like a melting candle! Fair play to her though for not going down the full plastic surgery route a la Alison Keenan who looks slightly odd with her tambourine-taut face 100 times smoother than the tortoise neck below it. I just wish Jill would stop behaving as though the world revolves around her. It doesn't. She had a good guest on, yet it was all: "I peel the labels off my candles, I've got a boyfriend who painted his dining room wall black, I've got a girlfriend who has a glass coffee table and coasters from Habitat...I I I I I I. We don't care, Jill. Just allow the guest to inform people about the product.

Last edited:
Poor Steven, he seem such an unassuming guest...

He seems like a nice guy. He was very professional last night. It must have been difficult fielding viewers' silly questions about what conditioner he uses for his hair. He stumbled over the answer before saying Philip Kingsley - suggesting he was lying. Mind you I guess he didn't want to say "Superdrug's own brand!"

Poor Steven, I think he seems a really nice guy. He did very well last night and it was so courteous of him to thank everyone for their concern and tweets etc. I hope his losses are fully covered.

Well done madmax for finding the article. When the comment was made I had a quick look but found nothing!

I looked online and noticed there have been a series of thefts of Yankee Candles around the country the past couple of years, sometimes organised break-ins like Steven suffered, but also they seem to be popular items with shoplifters, including people who pop them in prams and pushchairs and walk out with half a dozen! Yankee even publish 'loss prevention advice'!

https://www.the-hta.org.uk/file.php?fileid=1779

Do all brands do this? Seems a bit weird - Yankee jars are not exactly small and light. I could understand it more (but obviously still not condone it) if it was joints of meat being taken from shops to feed hard-up families, but why Yankee Candles? Are they easy to sell on or do the thieves just think it's worth the risk because they have an overwhelming desire (or should that be a burning desire?) to fragrance their homes like exotic fruits and baked goods?

Awww, that's awful for Steven. He's more than likely insured but that doesn't take away the fact that someone has just taken what he worked for. Thieves think it's their right to have what they want even if it belongs to someone else. Hope he can move on and put this behind him.

CC

people love yankee candles. there will always be a market for genuine stock. theres also a lot of counterfiet candles around. people are just greedy. they take ages to burn the large jars so no need to have thousands

Awww, that's awful for Steven. He's more than likely insured but that doesn't take away the fact that someone has just taken what he worked for. Thieves think it's their right to have what they want even if it belongs to someone else. Hope he can move on and put this behind him.

CC

Apparently he is not insured for this one because it is soon after the last theft:doh:

"Mr McCarthy said he would shoulder the estimated £1,200 cost without insurance, as he had previously claimed around £5,000 after last month’s burglary."

McCarthy owns the other business.

These stolen candles will be sold at car boots, the pub and on ebay (they'll wait a while for this) etc.

Anyone buying them will be feeding the crime group and the thefts will continue to meet the demand.

Anyone buying this sort of thing from the 'grey' market should think about where the goods came from and not just see the bargain in front of them. The buyers' greed and turning a blind eye is as bad at the thieves themselves... if there weren't any customers then they wouldn't steal the candles in bulk.

Let's face it.... the thieves aren't going to be sitting with a mug of hot cocoa and sniffing 'day at the beach' are they? I can't imagine them saying 'ere love, smell this one, it's blimmin' gorgeous' or 'be careful, we don't want an uneven melt do we?'.

With Mothers Day and Easter coming, the candles will be sold fast and the thieves will be laughing all the way to the "pub"
A bunch of daffodils bought legally would be better than giving a yankee candle, bought, knowing it was stolen.

I caught the end of the programme last night and heard Steven thanking everyone. I didn't know what had happened so thanks to the OP. Funny that Yankee seem to be a target. I only buy from reputable places like Temptation Gifts and, of course, QVC. I felt really sorry for him last night but he was genuine with his comments and its nice to know that he has so many supporters who buy from QVC. Hope he gets back on his feet quickly.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will buy - I see on the news that people purchased fake air bags from eBay. Whilst I understand they probably thought they were ok (at half price you would wonder) but buying down the pub you KNOW they are knocked off/fake.

Mr L was once offered a fab leather coat in a car park. It came with a convoluted yarn but was a scam as the one you actually got wasn't the one on offer.

Obviously he didn't buy (he is as straight as can be, dubious even of eBay) but ever time we look at anything leather he compares the quality to the "car park coat" as it is known in our house.

I remember a thread on here a while ago saying that he had been broken into so this isn't the first time for him

Yes I heard him stutter a bit as if he was going to say something and the 'realised' where he was and perhaps he ought to say something that QVC 'flogged'. Saying that though he still came across as professional as given this was a totally random question and nothing to do with why he was there (i.e nothing to do with the candles he was selling), then apart from that he didn't come across as someone who had been ransacked by some 'crazed idiot'. I also think that the above comment about 'wax lyrical' whilst slightly amusing giving the circumstances was perhaps not wholly appropriate.

I remember a thread on here a while ago saying that he had been broken into so this isn't the first time for him

Sadly it seems to be a phenomenon for thieves to target the same person/house twice for whatever reason. As if it isn't vile enough to do it once ffs, they have to nip back for anything they might have forgotten. Utter scum. It happened to my dad a couple of years ago, the police were adamant it was someone he knew reasonably well. Wow... A man in his seventies living on his own, who's starting to go senile, and the bastards rubbed their hands with glee. Ugh.

Poor Steven and everyone else who was robbed, how awful. Well done to him for soldiering on.

Latest posts

Back