QVC Laying Off Staff

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Its happening everywhere, we have been told today we are not getting a pay rise despite the company making millions but investment companies are involved.

Love all the flim-flam and spin: "Many companies have operations in Poland...Multilingual capabilitites...." FFS it's because it's ****** well CHEAPER and very little else.
You can be sure that their cost-cutting extends to UK shores. Greenwood and Ballantyne were likely given the axe as a money-saving exercise. They haven't given Julia Roberts the chop as they can retire her in 5 years anyway. Also they seem to see something in her that they like.

I thinK JR is churning her books out so she can retire, she keeps tweeting about how many words she is writing per dayzzzzzzz Another one is Jackie K. I know we slate DF but these two are just as bad at self promotion.

What makes you say "can retire her in 5 years anyway"? There are no rules to say you can't work after a certain age.

You're quite right. And there is no reason why she shouldn't carry on. She does a good job, however most companies have a retirement age. I don't how it stands if an employee doesn't want to retire. What if they don't want to? What if they're really good at their job and enjoy it? Seems unfair to me that they should have retirement foisted upon them. I was really angry when the BBC "retired" Jimmy Young. I thought he was a superb interviewer and an amazing and interesting person. I do rather suspect that QVC would be more inclined to shed the longer-term employees purely because they cost so much more. As their career progresses, their salary accrues increases on the increases, thereby compounding and snowballing.

I think QVC will keep JR there till she's wheeled out, she's so intimidating and scary who'd have the balls to sack her? I know I wouldn't.

You're quite right. And there is no reason why she shouldn't carry on. She does a good job, however most companies have a retirement age. I don't how it stands if an employee doesn't want to retire. What if they don't want to? What if they're really good at their job and enjoy it?

Most companies don't have a retirement age now as that constitutes age discrimination. An employer can no longer force somebody to retire. They can encourage people to leave by offering financial incentives, or they have to show that there are other specific reasons why somebody should not continue to work e.g. unable to physically cope with a strenuous job any longer.

You're quite right. And there is no reason why she shouldn't carry on. She does a good job, however most companies have a retirement age. I don't how it stands if an employee doesn't want to retire. What if they don't want to? What if they're really good at their job and enjoy it? Seems unfair to me that they should have retirement foisted upon them. I was really angry when the BBC "retired" Jimmy Young. I thought he was a superb interviewer and an amazing and interesting person. I do rather suspect that QVC would be more inclined to shed the longer-term employees purely because they cost so much more. As their career progresses, their salary accrues increases on the increases, thereby compounding and snowballing.
I think it is no longer allowed to give a compulsory retirement age.

Most media people are self employed so contacts are not renewed. Employees cannot be discriminated against on the grounds of age.

Crossed with other posters.

Are we to understand that Debbie Flint will now be learning Polish in the hope she gets a training job over there :mysmilie_14: Perhaps they'll also get rid of the idiots who are responsible for the colour coding in their fashion, and the 'hard working buyers' who buy in such crap; and not forgetting Margarine who could also give a hand in training, as she is considered a top dog in that field.

I realised Q was on the slide when they stopped using the peel-off return labels.

Most companies don't have a retirement age now as that constitutes age discrimination. An employer can no longer force somebody to retire. They can encourage people to leave by offering financial incentives, or they have to show that there are other specific reasons why somebody should not continue to work e.g. unable to physically cope with a strenuous job any longer.

That'll soon be Craig then, with his continual arm/hand waving they'll be worn out before the rest of his body !!

Avon makes its UK/EU products in Poland for years now. We used to joke when they bought Liz Earle they would move the production to Poland.

QVC presenters have contracts with QVC and each year renew or not their contracts. That is why Debbie Greenwood went, she wanted more than they were willing to pay. So if each year everyone is happy with the money they just continue on. Harry Green was well past retirement age and still worked at QVC for many years.

Avon makes its UK/EU products in Poland for years now. We used to joke when they bought Liz Earle they would move the production to Poland.

QVC presenters have contracts with QVC and each year renew or not their contracts. That is why Debbie Greenwood went, she wanted more than they were willing to pay. So if each year everyone is happy with the money they just continue on. Harry Green was well past retirement age and still worked at QVC for many years.

That's not good news.... it means CR will be there till he drops, he is such a smarmy creep, imo he would work for nought if it meant that he pleased someone/anyone, besides QVC couldn't afford to let him go, their profits would plummet...LOL

Latest posts

Back