Are they trying to humiliate larger models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

whitesnake

Registered Shopper
I know a few of us have mentioned the larger models on the Ronni Nicole shows but crikey what abourpt the poor girl on the Yong Kim hour. How must she feel in the outfits they are making her wear? She looks absolutely shocking and l am sorry but there is no way this range suits her figure so why do they pretend it does. It's almost like they are trying to humiliate the larger models.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the models are getting paid to wear the clothes. They can take them off after the show and never have to wear them again. They may not look great but it's just a job to them.

I saw one of the larger models Q uses somewhere else recently. On Q she always looks very big and "un-put-together", wearing the wrong sizes and doing the clothes no favours at all. Elsewhere she looked lovely. She looked about two stones lighter and the clothes looked great. Q should sack all their stylists.

I agree it's just a job, but for professional pride, surely the job is to show the clothes to their best advantage? So wear proper fitting underwear, and as much as is possible, insist on a size that fits.

Some of it is down to who is available to do shows, and ensuring the sizes are available which are appropriate to the model's dimensions.

Given the variability of the sizing in the different ranges, it's inevitable that QVC are going to have trouble finding a larger model who can model several ranges and look as good as possible in all of them.

I do wonder if the larger models are under the same pressure as the slimmer models to maintain a specific set of measurements or a specific dress size.

Turned over during the adverts, just before the "bargain hunter" was on and just caught the stylist who was on the plywood, sorry! runway acting all coy and shy................It's good of her mum though to let her stay up late on a school night.

I'm on the large size and seeing these larger models actively puts me off buying clothes from qvc. That can't be the intention. But they make those poor girls look so ridiculous thAt I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to replicate the look. There are very many stylish larger ladies around. Why do qvc find it so hard to do us justice?

I'm on the large size and seeing these larger models actively puts me off buying clothes from qvc. That can't be the intention. But they make those poor girls look so ridiculous thAt I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to replicate the look. There are very many stylish larger ladies around. Why do qvc find it so hard to do us justice?

So true! I know that anyone can look great, no matter their size, if they are dressing in styles and colours that suit them, in the appropriate size, and underpinned with properly fitting underwear (not talking shapewear unless that's your thing). A properly fitted bra can make you look smaller easily. The downside is that as your bust gets bigger so do the price tags on the bras... My solution is to get properly measured every so often, buy one bra and then go shopping for more online. If you are prepared to go for the colours rather than black/white/nude you get some great discounts on a number of sites.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that a Thread has been made about this, because being a larger gal myself, I can say the Sophie model looks absolutely dreadful in everything she has worn tonight. The Yong Kim dress looked ridiculous - exactly what larger girls stay away from; and the shorter dress she wore did her no favours at all. I have plus size girl friends and others who are not, who have 'sturdy' legs like Sophie and refuse to wear dresses that short, preferring trousers or longer hems. We all have body issues and make the best of what we have, but putting her in a range that doesn't go higher than an 18 is just plain stupid.

Join clothes have woken up that larger sizes are needed and have created their Plus One sizing - excellent, so that's when plus size models are needed - NOT trying to squash themselves into smaller sizing.

Basically I think Q needs to sack their buyers and stylists.
Get rid of many of their clothing brands.
Acknowledge that many of their viewers are size 16 and above.
Stop trying to flog shapeless sacks or designs which are so far out of fashion they`d be found in a time capsule somewhere.
Listen to their customers and even better, actually ask us what we`d like to see ?
Accept that this is the UK and not USA and that many women in this Country have totally different tastes than their supposed American designers are catering for.
Ask their stylists to look at a monitor and try to see what the viewers see, and at least ensure either the model fits the clothes or the clothes fit the model.
Finally, to get to grip with the sizing and accept one size doesn`t fit all, no matter how many models/presenters they wheel out wearing skin tight monstrosities.

I have noticed sometimes the plus size models wearing clothes that are ready to burst around the bust....very unflattering and I am sure it is not a look that flatters any woman.

I have to agree the larger size models look dreadful. I put on a lot of weight after surgery so I had to rethink my wardrobe so if I can do it so can the so called stylists. Skin tight clothing doesn't do anyone any favours (thick or thin). I was saw a lovely dress that I half thought about buying until I saw it on the model - and then it was a case of no way do I want to look like Nellie the elephant dressed in tinkerbell's play dress.

I was channel hopping last night and they had the 6 foot models all wearing PETITE length trousers which looked awful and the brand lady kept on saying well these really are designed for ladies 5 foot 4" and under not these great tall models.
I don't know who I felt more sorry for. They all looked uncomfortable and didn't quite know what to do with themselves.

Natasha and Sophia are both beautiful girls who happen to be a larger size. Neither of them are fat but some of the outfits they model make them look horrendous. I saw Natasha in a Ronni Nicole dress, a black and white number with the black part right up to under the bust and a higher neckline. My OH's eyes nearly popped out of his head with the way that dress made her chest look. She looked like she had two footballs stuffed down her front. A V neck always flatters a larger bust more than a high neck - even I know that! I've also ranted before about putting Sophia in those ankle boots with a short dress when she doesn't have the slimmest of legs. Put her in a dress below the knee, nude tights and a heel and she loses inches from her legs and looks great.

I agree. Sack the stylists because I could do a better job and I am no style guru.

CC

QVC do need to wake up and realise that the way they present their larger models is a sales prevention tool!

Fitted clothes can definitely make you look slimmer... but fitted to your actual size, not an "aspirational" size.

QVC make themselves look ridiculous when they dress their models so inappropriately.

I am a large lady myself and there is no way l would wear the likes of Join or Yong Kim even if l could afford them. I don't think these huge shapeless garments do anything for my shape. I know l look better in something more fitted but not skin tight. I have no idea where these stylists get their qualifications but like many of us who have posted l think we all have more idea than they do! Now wouldn't it be great if some of us could go to QVC towers and be stylists for a day. I would love to see the end result, l am sure we would do better and produce looks that are far better than the things their stylists sling together!

I am a large lady myself and there is no way l would wear the likes of Join or Yong Kim even if l could afford them. I don't think these huge shapeless garments do anything for my shape. I know l look better in something more fitted but not skin tight. I have no idea where these stylists get their qualifications but like many of us who have posted l think we all have more idea than they do! Now wouldn't it be great if some of us could go to QVC towers and be stylists for a day. I would love to see the end result, l am sure we would do better and produce looks that are far better than the things their stylists sling together!

I would second that, with a caveat... we cannot be held responsible for the styles and sizes on the rails available for the stylists... and no doubt we would have to bring other items to style up the items.

So true! I know that anyone can look great, no matter their size, if they are dressing in styles and colours that suit them, in the appropriate size, and underpinned with properly fitting underwear (not talking shapewear unless that's your thing). A properly fitted bra can make you look smaller easily. The downside is that as your bust gets bigger so do the price tags on the bras... My solution is to get properly measured every so often, buy one bra and then go shopping for more online. If you are prepared to go for the colours rather than black/white/nude you get some great discounts on a number of sites.

I have been measured for a bra at different shops and been told different sizes. I was also told that different styles may mean you need a different size. I measured myself once and got a different size to the other two. I was told by a friend that you really need to go to a corsitier for a correct fit. I have been measured over tops, bras and no bra on. I have also got bras in exactly the same style and size from the same shop and they have fitted differently. I despair.

I would second that, with a caveat... we cannot be held responsible for the styles and sizes on the rails available for the stylists... and no doubt we would have to bring other items to style up the items.

I would agree with everything you say, but how often have we all found that sizing on these garments are all over the place. An 18 in Join can be a lot smaller than say an 18 in Michelle Hope. Sadly Q aren't doing the fashion industry any favours by showing a larger gal modelling clothes she is poured into, and only reinforces their persistence in wanting to use smaller models.

I have been measured for a bra at different shops and been told different sizes. I was also told that different styles may mean you need a different size. I measured myself once and got a different size to the other two. I was told by a friend that you really need to go to a corsitier for a correct fit. I have been measured over tops, bras and no bra on. I have also got bras in exactly the same style and size from the same shop and they have fitted differently. I despair.

It's a total nightmare. The best, undoubtedly are Rigby and Peller - corsetiers to HM The Queen. Unfortunately the bras are quite pricey and for some of the brands they sell they are the sole UK retailer. After R&P, I would rate John Lewis, and also Bravissimo. I had a very poor experience at Marks and Spencer (where the fitter didn't seem to understand how to convert the measurements in to the right bra size. I've not had fittings anywhere else, so cannot say if any of the other stores are as good or better than R&P, JLP and B.

Once you find a style that suits you and you've got the correct back and cup size, it's good to look for similar styles from the same brand. One thing to remember is that if you are buying black bras (black any item of clothing) it is always stiffer and less stretchy than other colours - something to do with the way the dye affects the fabric.

A good fitter will be able to explain what to look for, which then makes it far easier for you to find your own good fit on future bra shopping visits.

The technicalities of bra fitting means that in general you're never going to get QVC retailing what you need. The best you can hope for is the shapewear tops and the Rhonda Shear Ahh Bra. Ironic, really, when the foundation garments are really what make the clothes look their best. Let's face it a lot of the nonsense we see when shapewear magically improves the appearance of trousers, tops and dresses is down to the purposeful and cynical use of badly fitting underwear for the before shots (as well as the models' posture changing between the before and after shots in some cases).

I think clothing sizing everywhere is enough to drive anyone demented... they keep resizing everything to keep up with the average body. We get bigger every year but think we are staying the same because we can still get into whatever size is our go-to... but if you compare a 12 of 20 years ago with a 12 now it is probably nearer to a 14 from 20 years ago.

I would hesitate to call today's sizing vanity sizing, as some of the dimensions of yesteryear could be attributed to some quite brutal non-stretch shapewear which is no longer in vogue. But I would say we're all lulled into a false sense of how well we are maintaining our shape and weight by the dress size we wear.

All clothing is made with a "tolerance" which is the amount either side of the standard dimensions for a size (plus or minus) which is permitted. So it is always worth picking up more than one of the same size in a garment to try on.

Clothing cut for a young girl in the same size will probably not look at all flattering on a woman who has had children but is the same dress size. So it's worth bearing in mind the target customer for a shop.

I've always found that Wallis have forgiving sizes for me, whereas Next don't. It's some of it down to the individual styles - some leaner styles are not going to give you the wriggle room and are better sized up.

This is not just a problem for larger sizes (though the laziness of not using fit models and having bizarre progressions from one size to the next doesn't help). Look at Jill Franks - QVC fashion does her no service whatsoever. She's been on air with bulldog clips down her back so she doesn't look too swamped in items. Sometimes the slimmer models are too slim (yes, Deborah-Ann, I mean you) to look good in the items they wear too.

Last edited:
I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a supposed size 14 to a supposed size 20 and they all fit. There appears to be a vast and varied difference between brands and hence why I never buy clothes from Q and rarely buy clothes from other online retailers unless I`ve tried them in a store first.
I could take 5 dresses into a fitting room, all supposed to be the same size and one would be too tight, one too big, one would be too short/too long, another would have too high a waistline or sleeves too short/long and then maybe one would actually fit me but even then it would depend on whether it not only fit me but whether it suited me too.
Trousers are even more of a nightmare because I`m tall, broad waisted but narrow hipped and no bum. To fit my waist they drown me on the hips and at 5ft 10, most are way too short.
The point is, if Q wants customers to buy their fashion and with their ridiculously high p and p, then it isn`t just professional for them to have their models dressed in the right sized clothes, its essential for customers to be able to envisage how it would look on themselves. Q simply don`t seem to get it, they can`t seem to understand that Mrs B who`se 5ft 4 and a size 18 is looking for something totally different than Mrs C who`se 5ft 9 and a size 12 and all they have to go on, is what they see on the models and the vital information from the presenters and guests.

Latest posts

Back