Double Presenters - does it work

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
From time to time you see two or more presenters doing a show. Personally I don't see the need and don't think it really works. Julia is a true pro, but find Craig is It a loose end and wittttttering on!

Who would be your dream team to present? Can't think of any, may return with that soon :mysmilie_14:

One of the current crop is bad enough, without having a double whammy of arm waving and spouting nonsense. ( I also get irritated by journalists on the News Channels interviewing themselves either standing together outside No.10 or in studios in different countries)

I remember the days when they never had a guest presenter and used to fly solo. The new batch of presenters couldn't hack it, maybe that's why they brought guests in. Shouty Everton, by her own admittance, can't do an hour on her own, where as Marv and Jackie "oh I giggle because I'm so embarrassed to be a shopping telly presenter" Kabler, couldn't handle an hour on their own. I only channel hop now and again but I've got admit, it still looks odd there being two.

There is a great and long-standing precedent for this: Richard Jackson's Garden... a show that is improved immeasurably by the absence of the named show host!

Many of the presenters who have been knocking around for a while do regularly do shows on their own, without even a guest. Some of the more recent batch do also... and in Sara Griffiths case it is the only time she is barely tolerable to watch. Julia, Jill Franks, Ali K, Charlie have all done shows on their own. I have to put in a word for the hilarious double-act which is rarely unleashed on an unsuspecting public: Dale and Charlie. They should have these two on air together more often. Dale and Charlie separately are also excellent when teamed up with one of their female colleagues. These double-act shows are usually jewellery shows and there are no guests at all, just the two presenters. I find them quite enjoyable. They are more fun, and as both Dale and Charlie (particularly Charlie) are very knowledgeable about stones and cuts etc, they are frequently quite informative.

Ali Young used to have her "In the Salon" shows without guests, but hosted by another presenter. That was also a format that I personally found enjoyable to watch.

Two presenters and a guest seem to me to be overkill unless they are doing proper Q&A segments to the show (as it means less obnoxious reading out of tweets etc by the main presenter). They've done this a bit with No!No! and also with Catherine Huntley's tech shows.

I remember the days when they never had a guest presenter and used to fly solo. The new batch of presenters couldn't hack it, maybe that's why they brought guests in. Shouty Everton, by her own admittance, can't do an hour on her own, where as Marv and Jackie "oh I giggle because I'm so embarrassed to be a shopping telly presenter" Kabler, couldn't handle an hour on their own. I only channel hop now and again but I've got admit, it still looks odd there being two.

I remember those days too! Enjoyed them and probably bought more back in the day. No Fakebook with the wonderful world of Internet chats either! Oh, happy days! :mysmilie_59:

There is a great and long-standing precedent for this: Richard Jackson's Garden... a show that is improved immeasurably by the absence of the named show host!

Many of the presenters who have been knocking around for a while do regularly do shows on their own, without even a guest. Some of the more recent batch do also... and in Sara Griffiths case it is the only time she is barely tolerable to watch. Julia, Jill Franks, Ali K, Charlie have all done shows on their own. I have to put in a word for the hilarious double-act which is rarely unleashed on an unsuspecting public: Dale and Charlie. They should have these two on air together more often. Dale and Charlie separately are also excellent when teamed up with one of their female colleagues. These double-act shows are usually jewellery shows and there are no guests at all, just the two presenters. I find them quite enjoyable. They are more fun, and as both Dale and Charlie (particularly Charlie) are very knowledgeable about stones and cuts etc, they are frequently quite informative.

Ali Young used to have her "In the Salon" shows without guests, but hosted by another presenter. That was also a format that I personally found enjoyable to watch.

Two presenters and a guest seem to me to be overkill unless they are doing proper Q&A segments to the show (as it means less obnoxious reading out of tweets etc by the main presenter). They've done this a bit with No!No! and also with Catherine Huntley's tech shows.

Have rarely seen one presenter shows, used to watch them years ago. Sometimes too many spoil the product in my opinion. Agree with you that Charlie and Dale are funny together. Good natural presenters :mysmilie_59:

I always preferred 1 person, no brand ambassador and certainly no other presenter shows. Pipa was particularly good pre twatter and yeah yeah yeah.

The exception was the very odd special with Julia and Dale.

IMO so called stylists should be locked in a room until they eat each other.

I always preferred 1 person, no brand ambassador and certainly no other presenter shows. Pipa was particularly good pre twatter and yeah yeah yeah.

I remember her doing a fantastic fashion show one afternoon. I think it was still at the old studio, and definitely before her sabbatical. Every time they returned to a shot of Pipa the set had changed slightly, and viewers were texting or ringing in when they spotted what was different. It was fun, the fashion was OK (nice variety) and everyone got involved. Engaging viewing and generating sales.

I remember Pipa doing jewellery shows where people text/emailed or whatever it was pre twatter, in with funny stories (not I have zillion Kipling bags ), they were a hoot and I recall the jewellery which was very much second fiddle selling like hot cakes.

Unfortunately when she went on that sabbatical she not only had a made over looks wise but had a personality implant, and not to the good either. Always watched her but now she is one if my mute presenters.

Trying to make a programme with two QVC presenters work is like trying to force two of the same poles of a magnet together. You simply can't put two egos of the size required for QVC together and expect them to play nicely. One inevitably pulls rank on the other. Queen Julia is particularly bad at this.

It depends who the two presenters are TBH.
I'm no Alison Young fan at all, but I really used to enjoy the shows she used to do that focused on another presenters favourite beauty products. AY & Julia in particular seem to really get on. Oh and Jilly as well.

Although, the last duo show I watched was a couple of months ago. It was CHuntley & Dame Julia. I can't remember what the show was about, but I do remember CHuntley mentioning that she had recently been 'Chamfering her poo pipes at home'. She thought she was being hilarious. By the look on her face, Julia didn't agree.

I remember Pipa doing jewellery shows where people text/emailed or whatever it was pre twatter, in with funny stories (not I have zillion Kipling bags ), they were a hoot and I recall the jewellery which was very much second fiddle selling like hot cakes.

Unfortunately when she went on that sabbatical she not only had a made over looks wise but had a personality implant, and not to the good either. Always watched her but now she is one if my mute presenters.

Couldn't agree with you more. And I find it hard to forgive her for providing an opening for the intolerably rude Sara Griffiths to return.

Pipa was the best back in the day, her style & presenting was very good! I don't know what happened, as can't really watch her now, unless the product is a favourite :mysmilie_1:

No I don't think it works, as either of the presenters are more than capable of presenting the show, otherwise they wouldn't be doing the job that they are doing. I know that it could be possibly argued that most of the show has a guest on the show to talk through the products so when no guest is there (usually on a jewellery show), they 'double up', but I don't think it is necessary as they are both vying for 'top spot' as it were thus sometimes it just makes it awkward to watch. I mean some pairings are great and I must admit that if I catch a Dale and Charlie 'double act' I will watch, but whilst some of the pairings are ok some are positively cringe-worthy (anyone paired with Jill F must need extra). So no I personally don't think it does work.

No I don't think it works, as either of the presenters are more than capable of presenting the show, otherwise they wouldn't be doing the job that they are doing. I know that it could be possibly argued that most of the show has a guest on the show to talk through the products so when no guest is there (usually on a jewellery show), they 'double up', but I don't think it is necessary as they are both vying for 'top spot' as it were thus sometimes it just makes it awkward to watch. I mean some pairings are great and I must admit that if I catch a Dale and Charlie 'double act' I will watch, but whilst some of the pairings are ok some are positively cringe-worthy (anyone paired with Jill F must need extra). So no I personally don't think it does work.

Agreed, most ones I have watched have looked very awkward and the drivel that comes out is rather embarrassing. One presenter with guest works best. You would think that the powers at be would know this, tut tut!!

A lot of shows don't need a model to be on, spraying themselves with perfume, or washing their hands etc. We all know how to do this don't we?
They could save themselves money and reduce prices a bit, if they didn't have to pay these models.

I saw a bit of Marv and Kathy together the other day, and the few minutes I saw should have been subtitled "The Eye Roller and The Gabbler". Marv was in full eye mode and Kathy was gabbling at the rate of knots trying to get a word in, and I couldn't understand what she was on about.

A lot of shows don't need a model to be on, spraying themselves with perfume, or washing their hands etc. We all know how to do this don't we?
They could save themselves money and reduce prices a bit, if they didn't have to pay these models.

Often thought of this too, would surely reduce costs. Sometimes there are more than 1 model too, no need really :mysmilie_59:

Or they could do something really shockingly 'daft' and sort out both postage and packing outgoing and incoming (if one deigns to send the item purchased back)!

Latest posts

Back