What's so special?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
QVC have been touting today's shopping as something special because of the leap year date. At first glance, it seems a bit different but, when you actually take a look, all they're doing is offering easy pay. There is no actual treat or benefit to the customer at all! I'm not averse to easy pay as I know it can help when it comes to buying, but wouldn't it have been nice of them to actually give us something special? Maybe free P&P or some sort of added extra for today's orders. QVC are as bad as politicians when it comes to spinning their propaganda. I wonder if the bright spark who came up with the idea will get a bonus? It doesn't help when Jilly is telling us that she'd buy all the colours of the flip flops because she could take advantage of the EPs. I hope no one gets taken in and they realise that they're still spending the same amount of money in total (plus several lots of P&P).

QVC have been touting today's shopping as something special because of the leap year date. At first glance, it seems a bit different but, when you actually take a look, all they're doing is offering easy pay. There is no actual treat or benefit to the customer at all! I'm not averse to easy pay as I know it can help when it comes to buying, but wouldn't it have been nice of them to actually give us something special? Maybe free P&P or some sort of added extra for today's orders. QVC are as bad as politicians when it comes to spinning their propaganda. I wonder if the bright spark who came up with the idea will get a bonus? It doesn't help when Jilly is telling us that she'd buy all the colours of the flip flops because she could take advantage of the EPs. I hope no one gets taken in and they realise that they're still spending the same amount of money in total (plus several lots of P&P).
It would certainly make history if they ever offered free p&p for a whole order or even a fixed price for p&p for an entire order. Everyone else does it, so why can't Q?

I'd prefer 29p postage to easy-pays...Easy pays just tempt people to buy more but there's no real saving.

It also bugs me that on the QVC US website they have offers that apply across their whole inventory, not just the stuff they show on air (and want to shift)!

A leap year special would be 4p postage for each item... or worst case, capped £4 postage on a basket of goods. Now that would be a good offer! Let's face it why not - it's only once every 4 years they'd have to do something.

It's all on a par with what they did (NOT) do for Black Friday when they jumped on that bandwagon. No bargains, derisory (almost non-existent) reductions, and a lot of hot air about how exciting it was. In this day and age, when most of us are armed with a search engine or two... and several comparison websites, it's just not good enough.

well they beat amazon for customer satisfaction. even though amazon are cheaper,faster,offer free returns and have better customer service

well they beat amazon for customer satisfaction. even though amazon are cheaper,faster,offer free returns and have better customer service

Amazon couldn't deliver a parcel to me the other day because I was out and none of my neighbours were in for them to give it to. I got an email that day instructing me to notify them about what to do next, so I instructed them to try again the next day. Within an hour I got an email back apologising that they couldn't deliver my parcel, that they'd deliver it the next day, and they gave me an extra month free on my Amazon prime! Amazing!

All that would've taken about 2 weeks with QVC, and there'd be no freebie from them either.

Amazon beats QVC hands down. I like QVC to tune into for entertainment. Very occasionally I learn something from QVC - for example the waterless car cleaners - I'd never heard of them before.

Amazon are absolutely amazing on every level. In the past if a delivery hasn't turned up or part of an order is missing, they apologise profusely and get a replacement sent out by next day delivery. Amazon is a company all other companies aspire to, especially QVC.

Amazon are absolutely amazing on every level. In the past if a delivery hasn't turned up or part of an order is missing, they apologise profusely and get a replacement sent out by next day delivery. Amazon is a company all other companies aspire to, especially QVC.

I totally agree. Their customer service is second to none.

i wonder who conducts these surveys. very suspect. i have to take a sharp intake of breath when i phone qvc with a problem

I don't think the easy pays did much for anyone. As said, I'd rather have had a postage offer instead. For example, I rather liked the Lola Rose scarves that were on and also have some family birthdays coming up in April and considered four of them as nice gifts. I was just totting up the total cost and then it dawned on me that I would also be paying four lots of P&P, which is almost the total of another scarf, so I didn't bother. QVC must realise they're losing orders as I definitely would have bought four if it was just a single P&P. Or if not the one, why can't they say something like £2.95 for the first item and 50p for any other of the same number? And the original order I posted about still hasn't arrived. Six days and counting. It doesn't take that long to get to the moon! IW, and everyone else, manage it, so I'm sure QVC could. I guess they're just too greedy.

I'm hoping my brain will soon switch off to these charlatans.

y
I don't think the easy pays did much for anyone. As said, I'd rather have had a postage offer instead. For example, I rather liked the Lola Rose scarves that were on and also have some family birthdays coming up in April and considered four of them as nice gifts. I was just totting up the total cost and then it dawned on me that I would also be paying four lots of P&P, which is almost the total of another scarf, so I didn't bother. QVC must realise they're losing orders as I definitely would have bought four if it was just a single P&P. Or if not the one, why can't they say something like £2.95 for the first item and 50p for any other of the same number? And the original order I posted about still hasn't arrived. Six days and counting. It doesn't take that long to get to the moon! IW, and everyone else, manage it, so I'm sure QVC could. I guess they're just too greedy.

I'm hoping my brain will soon switch off to these charlatans.

on the issue of why can't they .. combine p&p etc
i stick my neck out and say that their p&p is a money making exercise
and part of their profits, not a recouping of cost only for packaging & sending it

the second reason, and also why they don't offer free returns like many competitors
is to stop people returning items, esp items that don't have a huge value
as people think oooh, i have already spend £6 on p&p one way and spending more on sending it back
and then they hang onto their £19 overpriced shampoo,
even though it doesn't do anything for them and isn't worth the money
as they think, hmmm i don't want to spend £10 on postage back and forth
easily done, i know, and i am pretty sure enough people do it
for Q to deliberately rely on this

however there is of course another way to look at it
and for me, i work out if spending a tenner for postage back and forth is worth it to me
to try out a specific product
but i would now consider it more of a waste to hang on to an expensive shampoo that wasnt fantabulous
so i think better to waste £10 then wasting £19 (with a meh shampoo kept)

i am pretty sure though in the days of yore
i have also hung onto stuff cos of the postage calculation
and also cos i forgot to return in time
(probably quite common too)

so, all in all, pretty KERCHING for QVC
and all there for a reason

it would be fair to consider how many people would order and return stuff willy nilly
if postpage was more reasonable, or combined and/or they had free returns
some people possibly would
however Q presenters frequently say that they allow returns after trying the prods
cos they are/the vendors are so confident tha the stuff is so amazing/life changing/making such a huge difference to people, as per the sales pitch, at such an amazing unique bargain price
that buyers would not want to return them

if they believed that themselves then their p&p charges would look differently

as i said, i am, in my mind, convinced it is a profit centre for Q

the postage cost is very high and the items can take an age to arrive. i really cant think of any company that is slower at delivering and when you query why its taken two weeks to arrive you have to wait for a form to come in the post. all this dilly dallying is a tactic to stop you returning also. cost AND nusciance factor

i suspect Q choses the cheapest possible delivery option from supplier
and probably also bulk collection and pricing
so if you bought from supplier a on a monday and they got it ready and send on tuesday
with Q it may be cheaper for them to have a contract where they pick up thousands of parcels at one time
so say you place order on monday, it may be packed by mon or tues, but will sit there going nowhere until bulk pick up on , say, friday
that is my hypothesis
they charge a high premium p&p
and chose cheapest delivery service option
so that there is profit to be made in the difference between what you pay and what it costs them

i suspect Q choses the cheapest possible delivery option from supplier
and probably also bulk collection and pricing
so if you bought from supplier a on a monday and they got it ready and send on tuesday
with Q it may be cheaper for them to have a contract where they pick up thousands of parcels at one time
so say you place order on monday, it may be packed by mon or tues, but will sit there going nowhere until bulk pick up on , say, friday
that is my hypothesis
they charge a high premium p&p
and chose cheapest delivery service option
so that there is profit to be made in the difference between what you pay and what it costs them

I've always thought this. I've always imagined a big mail truck arriving at QVC, which they start to fill with parcels, and it doesn't get driven away until it is full. It would certainly explain, not just the overall slowness of their postage service but also the variability. I think most of us here have had the occasional order show up within a day or two, although that is the exception rather than the rule, while most take about a week.

Latest posts

Back