ms Portas is not best pleased

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Was I being served? In one sense, yes. QVC seems to provide an efficient computerised telephone system – and reviews of the channel on my own website reveal good things. Prompt postage for one. But is that the be-all and end-all of service? No.

I wonder who the heck is reviewing on Mary Portas' website? I can't help feeling like a dedicated flash-mob must have descended...

Online I have a question for QVC. You haven’t had the burden of investing capital in bricks-and-mortar stores, and it doesn't look to me like you’ve invested much in your sets (though all that fake tan doesn’t come cheap), so where has all the money gone? Because it’s certainly not on your website. You have the opportunity to be the Asos or Net-a-Porter of the consumer goods world. But I’m afraid you’re falling far short of the mark.

What she said.

When QVC launched, it must have seemed revolutionary and futuristic – imagine it, shopping from the comfort of your armchair! But what is QVC’s place today, with online retailing so dominant, and so much easier? Shopping this way seems about as relevant and convenient as booking a holiday via Teletext. Unless QVC modernises its shopping experience, I can’t help but feel we’re looking at a soon-to-be victim of the internet age.

Amen sister!

Mary Portas would fit right in on here. QVC are a case of "there are none so blind as those that will not see".

Last edited:
Well it's a very old article , yet years down the line QVC is still stuck in time frame of bygone era .

I have said before QVC is a dinosaur, who might have been cutting edge 20 years ago. They try so hard with the tweet us and tap the app crap, but really behind it all still dinosaurs.

soo true stuck in the past. fobbing off customers is not the same as customer service qvc

i have said this before
QVC is not only taking their customers for granted and holding them in low esteem
they are also doing it at the other end, with their suppliers
as witnessed at the 'new' beauty bash format
complete control freakery
forbidding giving out samples,
and enforcing 'gestapo' like any brand representative slipping a little something into a potential customers hand
a big brand representative and one of the favourites on the channel,
was exasperated with the 'rules' incl being forbidden to hand out any brochures with their website on
as if it can really be hidden from customers, that internet thang, and everything is only available from Q

their behaviour is a bit like a child, closing their eyes and going 'you can't see me'
(but they learn quickly, unlike .....)

and if you are getting it wrong at both ends, suppliers and customers, as a retailer...
i don't need to spell it out to you

I have never purchased from QVC and have a low opinion of it from posters on this forum. It seems there is a mass of people who have been treated woefully. One woman on the trust pilot site asked why she was rejected from BTY, only to be harangued and bad mouthed by lots of BTY flunkies. Said flunkies even reported the woman to FB, and she had to change her account! I know what QVC stands for, and it isn't what I am sure it once was.

The comments on that article must have been written by Debs Flints team... lots of people sticking up for Q!

I don't think its as bad as she makes out, but it certainly needs to make improvements, but the chances of that happening are very slim, why change something when its clearly not affecting their sales... almost £400 million profit isn't bad is it.

i have said this before
QVC is not only taking their customers for granted and holding them in low esteem
they are also doing it at the other end, with their suppliers
as witnessed at the 'new' beauty bash format
complete control freakery
forbidding giving out samples,
and enforcing 'gestapo' like any brand representative slipping a little something into a potential customers hand
a big brand representative and one of the favourites on the channel,
was exasperated with the 'rules' incl being forbidden to hand out any brochures with their website on
as if it can really be hidden from customers, that internet thang, and everything is only available from Q

their behaviour is a bit like a child, closing their eyes and going 'you can't see me'
(but they learn quickly, unlike .....)

and if you are getting it wrong at both ends, suppliers and customers, as a retailer...
i don't need to spell it out to you

They show contempt by their overnight shows now rolling the same one for hours ..they can`t even be bothered now to give a selection of repeats even!!

I think there are plentry of accusations you could throw at QVC but having overly rehearsed sales pitches isn't one of them!

I think there are plentry of accusations you could throw at QVC but having overly rehearsed sales pitches isn't one of them!

Not rehearsed, exactly, but hackneyed would cover it...
adjective: hackneyed

(of a phrase or idea) having been overused; unoriginal and trite.
"hackneyed old sayings"
synonyms: overused, overworked, overdone, worn out, time-worn, platitudinous, vapid, stale, tired, threadbare;

Not quite sure Ms Portas' prediction of a "soon to be victim of the Internet age" has come true. That article was written in 2011!! Her own foray into the high street with HOF hasn't survived. Started in 2011. Now disappeared

Not quite sure Ms Portas' prediction of a "soon to be victim of the Internet age" has come true. That article was written in 2011!! Her own foray into the high street with HOF hasn't survived. Started in 2011. Now disappeared

Yes - the high street is a tougher medium. QVC's survival strategy seems to be to not tackle internet shopping at all... and rather than reward a loyal customer base instead they are chasing after new customers. Problem is that attracting new customers is more expensive... which is one of the places where the outrageous p&p comes in... it underwrites the expense of attracting new customers.

QVC like to pretend they are multi-platform. They don't seem to accept or understand that to be truely multiplatform they not only need a website and apps, they need a website and apps that perform well.

To cut their costs they move jobs to Poland from their existing markets. What about ensuring they are working in a cost-effective and efficient way in their existing markets first? There will be costs associated with moving jobs, so they also need to be more efficient and profitable in their working practices at "home"... So I would say, despite the turnover, the market is not proving an easy ride for QVC these days.

qvc sell a lot but thier overheads are huge. models being paid £200 an hour. presenters paid around the same or more. the huge liverpool warehouss where my dress got lost etc. staff sending out daft "lost parcel declaration letters" where a phone call is all other companies would need to offer a refund

Latest posts

Back