Phone callers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Petespants

Registered Shopper
Is it me not tuning in regularly enough to witness them,or do IW no longer have a stream of callers happy to discuss recent or forthcoming purchases.?Just wondered where they have gone and whether anyone has 'phoned in.

Is it me not tuning in regularly enough to witness them,or do IW no longer have a stream of callers happy to discuss recent or forthcoming purchases.?Just wondered where they have gone and whether anyone has 'phoned in.

They occasionally play recordings of previous calls, particularly about Hoovers, and particularly from one particular caller.

He's called Barry. It's always Barry :mysmilie_59:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Whenever I tune in, and there is a caller, it's invariably a recording from a previous show. Said previous show may well have taken place a long time earlier...

My Dad spoke on QVC, must be 20 years ago or maybe even more. He spoke before ordering a product, to ask a question. It was for a product that you put in the engine of your Car and it supposedly made it run better.

If he'd have spoken to them after he'd ordered and used the product he'd have told them it was crap :mysmilie_59:

Ha ha. There are many times I tried to speak to them and tell them their stuff was c***.It was called.....(.laugh laugh) customer service.I can speak English,Welsh,a bit of Dutch. I can't speak pidgin Asian languages.

Ha ha. There are many times I tried to speak to them and tell them their stuff was c***.It was called.....(.laugh laugh) customer service.I can speak English,Welsh,a bit of Dutch. I can't speak pidgin Asian languages.

My Dad hates Selly Telly.

Do you remember that guy who used to come on QVC with cleaning products, he used to sometimes have the front of a Bonnet of an Old Red Mini to demonstrate his polishes on? I think it was him selling the Engine Cleaner too, he was pretty nondescript, wore glasses.

He also used to sell this miracle dry foam cleaner, came with a Blue Base that held 3 sponges. You put a capful of the stuff in water, agitated it, dipped the sponges in and just used the lather to supposedly clean carpets.

Dad bought that too, and it was also crap. Dread to think what he'd have said on the phone about that muck :mysmilie_59:

I remember that mini.They rec******it up for each show.Gravy browning I think they use for the demos on these cleaning things.Did the guy have a bald bit on his head?Anyway it's bad for your dad .Bet his comments wouldn't have been aired.

I remember that mini.They rec******it up for each show.Gravy browning I think they use for the demos on these cleaning things.Did the guy have a bald bit on his head?Anyway it's bad for your dad .Bet his comments wouldn't have been aired.

I think he was a bit bald, yes. He wore thick rimmed glasses and checked shirts.

That was when Selly Telly seemed special, before we all had the Internet. Even though loads of the products were probably rubbish it just seemed so different.

But my Mum loved QVC back then, she was the Queen of Aveda. She must have spent a fortune on all manner of their products which in fairness were very good.

They stopped selling Aveda but it probably didn't matter because the Internet had no doubt arrived by then :mysmilie_59:

When shopping on the Internet arrived, and most had access, that put the pressure on. Shopping TV resorted to any means to sell and upped the pressure on customers to buy.I too have good things bought on the channels.I don't remember it being as pressured and pushy either.I would have turned off.I also bought craft stuff and now its limited types of expensive stuff on IW and huge kits.Not often basics you need.I don't buy anymore.It doesn't draw me as- you put it -it isn't "special".Getting parcels with purchases made online is common now .It used to be lovely to get them from the channels.Even if you had to send the tat inside back!

It's a crying shame that the response to increased competition by other routes to market is to recruit repellent presenters, and filter out the least repellent of your current roster of presenters... and encourage the most repellent aspects of all presenters characters and behaviours on air.

When shopping on the Internet arrived, and most had access, that put the pressure on. Shopping TV resorted to any means to sell and upped the pressure on customers to buy.I too have good things bought on the channels.I don't remember it being as pressured and pushy either.I would have turned off.I also bought craft stuff and now its limited types of expensive stuff on IW and huge kits.Not often basics you need.I don't buy anymore.It doesn't draw me as- you put it -it isn't "special".Getting parcels with purchases made online is common now .It used to be lovely to get them from the channels.Even if you had to send the tat inside back!

I remember what REALLY seems special was when Broadband Internet still hadn't really arrived yet but you could order from SHOP! on Digital Cable using the Remote. It must have been the very late 90's I think.

I ordered our first DVD Player using the Remote Control which seemed amazing, you could even send email which was handy as I'm sure I wouldn't have had a Computer then let alone the Internet.

QVC joined it later on. I don't think Ideal World was ever on it but Domino Pizza was. Once Broadband became popular they closed all those services down :mysmilie_59:

I can remember that you could order using the red button for QVC . We didn't get internet until late 90's but not sure exactly when.We had a computer before then but strange to think now that it wasn't connected to the net.

I can remember that you could order using the red button for QVC . We didn't get internet until late 90's but not sure exactly when.We had a computer before then but strange to think now that it wasn't connected to the net.

Oh yes! It was so easy to watch and just press that button. I bought loads at that time. I suppose the equivalent now is the 'tap the app' thing?........which I haven't got

Oh yes! It was so easy to watch and just press that button. I bought loads at that time. I suppose the equivalent now is the 'tap the app' thing?........which I haven't got

Ideal World never had a Red Button but the equivalent now would be You'd Tap The App If They Didn't Sell A Load Of Crap :mysmilie_59:

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back