Yankee candle danger warning

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This doesn't look good. We need the company to confirm they don't use limonene. I would be a bit wary in the meantome. No-one wants to get cancer from these products.

The article has no link to the research, who the research was funded by, what the sample size was, what the hypothesis of the research was, was the research peer reviewed, need I go on.....

Last edited:
There was something in the national press about a year ago, as I remember. They said houseplants help absorbs formaldehyde in the atmosphere from burning candles with the suspect ingredient, and I'm pretty sure they said either the risk was negligible anyway, or it was unproven ... or I would have got rid of my Yankees! Maybe I should read up a bit!

I would still err on the side of caution. Contact the manufacturer for more information and advice or contact QVC.

I would still err on the side of caution. Contact the manufacturer for more information and advice or contact QVC.

QVC would have no ****** idea, they're more clueless than anyone about pretty much everything.

They can't be trusted to get the colour right on screen for a handbag let alone analyse the (clear lack of) scientific evidence surrounding candle safety.

Last edited:
I can no longer burn candles - from cheap Glade to expensive Jo Malone. Something in them causes an allergic reaction. Same with all air fresheners, even the reeds.

I need to carefully research candles before buying. They have to be food grade oils with natural oils as fragrances. Even some natural burn soya candles set me off.

I'm currently burning NEOM and, don't laugh, Lovehoney's (the sexual happiness people!) candles - the ones you can burn then drizzle on your partner's skin! I was given a vanilla one as a "funny" Christmas pressie a few years ago and now buy them quite regularly. Beggars can't be choosers! While I quite like LED candles dotted around to make the place look warmer, I miss a real one so when I'm desperate, I can reach for one of these, safe in the knowledge that I won't have an allergic reaction.

Thanks for posting this - I know that some manufacturers have been putting warnings on their candles the last few years, but I don't know anyone who has actually seen them - most people have been quite shocked when I ask them not to burn candles or put air fresheners on when I visit. I particularly worry about children whose parents burn or use smelly stuff constantly. Can't be good for them.

ETA: I bought Poo Pourri (or something similar) as the "funny" Christmas gift for my friend last Christmas - we try to outdo each other with a small, but weird gift every year. We all trotted in for a whiff (the poo pourri, not with anything added!), and I had a reaction!

Yes this has been said before, also has been said that a carcinogen gets released into the air when you burn scented candles, so I decided to be cautious and stick to the faux candies, better safe than sorry as they say.

Latest posts

Back