Beauty Pie - from the founder of Bliss, Soap & Glory and Fitflop

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

minnietheminx

Registered Shopper
Sounds interesting! Here's the article from today's Sunday Times

IMG_0264.jpg

She founded Soap & Glory, FitFlop and Bliss, and now the entrepreneur Marcia Kilgore is selling high-end cosmetics at cost. Foundation for a fiver, anyone?

You can’t get anything past the modern consumer: what is a product made of, can the packaging be recycled and, most terrifying for brands, how much does it really cost to make? That is why the climate might just be right for Beauty Pie, a new membership service that offers top-quality cosmetics at a fraction of the usual price.

It is the latest venture from Marcia Kilgore, 48, the founder of Soap & Glory, who made millions when she sold her brightly coloured bath and body line in 2014. Now she has her sights set on democratising the beauty industry and revolutionising the way we buy make-up.

Think of Beauty Pie as the Costco of cosmetics. The products are made in the same factories and with the same quality ingredients as the luxury brands, but sold to you at cost (plus VAT), so different shades of the same product might have slightly different prices, as the pigments used will vary. You pay a £10 monthly membership fee (for a minimum of three months) to access the 74-piece debut collection, including lipsticks, foundations, bronzers, setting powders, concealers and mascaras: all great quality and light as a feather, thanks to the recyclable packaging. The most expensive product is a foundation at £5.12. That’s right, £5.12. The cheapest is a lip liner for £1.43.

This online beauty club is a new business model in cosmetics. “We wanted to give people access to the backdoor of a factory,” says Kilgore, who also founded FitFlop and the Bliss spa chain. She is excited by what could be a disruptive force in the beauty world: “The industry is in such a different place to when I started in the 1990s. People used to value sales and free samples, but not any more.” Her main concern is breaking customers’ ingrained bias when it comes to cost. “All the discount sales really do is point out how overpriced your product was in the first place. We’re giving it to you for the actual best price.”

The revolution starts here.

beautypie.com

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 39
Interesting but you have to pay £10 per month to join the club, that's where the prices are discounted. So unless you are buying only their products each month you will have £10 direct debit to pay to stay in.

I thought there was alot if products sold on a subscription type model, I know my hairdresser used to get some skincare this way but it did not always turn up as promised.

I'll probably join the mailing list out of curiosity, then I'll keep an eye out for reviews. I want to try some IT Cosmetics items in the meantime, so this is waaay down the list. It's not as if I need any of it. Want is a different matter, but I don't know enough for that to be an issue for now.

I'll probably join the mailing list out of curiosity, then I'll keep an eye out for reviews. I want to try some IT Cosmetics items in the meantime, so this is waaay down the list. It's not as if I need any of it. Want is a different matter, but I don't know enough for that to be an issue for now.

Thanks for posting, I'm always interested to hear about any developments in the beauty industry. Have often thought I'd feel sick if I knew how much the beauty products I buy actually cost. The main problem here is that we would have no way of knowing what brands the products we were buying were equivalent to, in terms of quality. As you say, though, it would be worth keeping an eye on the reviews, and - if people are happy with the products and feel they deliver good results for the money - it might be worth taking a leap of faith. So much of what we pay for is branding and marketing.

Thanks for posting, I'm always interested to hear about any developments in the beauty industry. Have often thought I'd feel sick if I knew how much the beauty products I buy actually cost. The main problem here is that we would have no way of knowing what brands the products we were buying were equivalent to, in terms of quality. As you say, though, it would be worth keeping an eye on the reviews, and - if people are happy with the products and feel they deliver good results for the money - it might be worth taking a leap of faith. So much of what we pay for is branding and marketing.

Yep. I've got all sorts of things squirrelled here and there. I'm sure if I consolidated my stash I'd be pretty mortified. It all adds up. I might have to brave it and have a sort out for the new year. If I forget I've got it, I'll never use it! You're spot on about branding and marketing. I guess I'm suspicious about things that look too good/low cost to be true, but then look at The Ordinary by Deciem. There's been lots of buzz and the prices seem really very reasonable, though it looks like a bit of a complicated regime to the uninitiated, myself included. Think I need to clear the decks before I try more stuff anyway.

Yep. I've got all sorts of things squirrelled here and there. I'm sure if I consolidated my stash I'd be pretty mortified. It all adds up. I might have to brave it and have a sort out for the new year. If I forget I've got it, I'll never use it! You're spot on about branding and marketing. I guess I'm suspicious about things that look too good/low cost to be true, but then look at The Ordinary by Deciem. There's been lots of buzz and the prices seem really very reasonable, though it looks like a bit of a complicated regime to the uninitiated, myself included. Think I need to clear the decks before I try more stuff anyway.

I haven't got a ridiculous stockpile of makeup (unlike my Lola Rose collection, which has got really out of hand!), but I have added to it in a big way this year. I have a couple of big make up bags and three small boxes full, though, and I can't access most of it very easily, so I'm not using it. I've been looking at the acrylic makeup storage drawers, think I might get some of them and sort it out in the new year. I subscribe to three beauty boxes, too, which is excessive. I've got a nice little wooden shelving tower from Ikea, with little baskets which act like drawers for my skincare, hair, bath and body beauty box bits, and they're all full to bursting! Was going to cancel my Look Fantastic one, but then they emailed me saying that they were going to be improving their offering and would honour the current price plan for existing subscribers. Put quite a bit of makeup on my Christmas list, too.. Like you, I have lots squirrelled here and there!

I've been looking into NIOD a bit lately, and agree that they could do a lot more to make the brand a bit more accessible. I wonder whether they deliberately make it confusing to lend gravitas to the science behind it!

Sounds great, but I've never been one to spend a lot of money on cosmetics, well not on one item if that makes sense, so spending a tenner to get a £30 foundation, or a £20 mascara just wouldn't be worth it for me...I've always found that cheapo cosmetics are just as good,and that's with my sensitive skin. Buy the odd bit of Avon here and there, and only use magic minerals powder on my face nowadays and I'm happy with that, I find the mascara that comes free with the larger compact is as good as any. But for those who spend a fortune on make up, I think this scheme would be well worth a try!

I had another read, £10 is the starting point to join. Depending on your subscription equals what you can actually buy! Its all in the FAQ bit, so they limit what and how many you can buy. So not a go in and buy foundation, mascara etc as much as you fancy.

I had another read, £10 is the starting point to join. Depending on your subscription equals what you can actually buy! Its all in the FAQ bit, so they limit what and how many you can buy. So not a go in and buy foundation, mascara etc as much as you fancy.

Good eyes, donna255! That knocks my idea on the head.

I haven't got a ridiculous stockpile of makeup (unlike my Lola Rose collection, which has got really out of hand!), but I have added to it in a big way this year. I have a couple of big make up bags and three small boxes full, though, and I can't access most of it very easily, so I'm not using it. I've been looking at the acrylic makeup storage drawers, think I might get some of them and sort it out in the new year. I subscribe to three beauty boxes, too, which is excessive. I've got a nice little wooden shelving tower from Ikea, with little baskets which act like drawers for my skincare, hair, bath and body beauty box bits, and they're all full to bursting! Was going to cancel my Look Fantastic one, but then they emailed me saying that they were going to be improving their offering and would honour the current price plan for existing subscribers. Put quite a bit of makeup on my Christmas list, too.. Like you, I have lots squirrelled here and there!

I've been looking into NIOD a bit lately, and agree that they could do a lot more to make the brand a bit more accessible. I wonder whether they deliberately make it confusing to lend gravitas to the science behind it!

I'm feeling slightly sheepish as I totally forgot about the items I have saved as Christmas presents for myself - namely the Look Fantastic Advent Calendar, M&S Advent Calendar and the TILI Beauty Box. God, what am I like?! I'll have to make some time to use some of my haul and get organised with my storage. I'm great at buying it, though I don't normally get beauty boxes. Not so great at using it.

I also had a Lola Rose habit. I bought an outrageous amount of stuff from one of her sales a couple of years ago but it's all stuff I still love. I've gone off the recent ranges - nothing seems to grab me lately, which is no bad thing.

I'm feeling slightly sheepish as I totally forgot about the items I have saved as Christmas presents for myself - namely the Look Fantastic Advent Calendar, M&S Advent Calendar and the TILI Beauty Box. God, what am I like?! I'll have to make some time to use some of my haul and get organised with my storage. I'm great at buying it, though I don't normally get beauty boxes. Not so great at using it..

I've got a Laura Mercier gift set, the Laura Geller Christmas TSV, and a Laura Geller illuminator stick that I know I've got coming from my husband / Mum, and then much of my list that gets given to all the family (we all do lists, in case anyone is really struggling and can't think of any surprises) was make-up / beauty stuff, too. My three beauty boxes for December have just arrived, along with my Tarte auto delivery, and I've been unwrapping my Look Fantastic advent calendar (hope you love yours as much as I'm loving mine!), so these bits are also now looking for homes. I think of my make-up as loosely under control, as I don't have a load of stuff stock piled, but the beauty box bits are really making their presence felt! Am I making you feel better?! :grin: In my Glossybox there was a leaflet for Caroline Hirons' charitable initiative, that is collecting make-up / beauty bits for women escaping domestic abuse, so I'm definitely going to parcel some stuff up. In case anyone else is of an equally excessive nature to myself and is interested, details below:

carolinehirons.com/p/give-and-makeup.html

The first part of that post (above) seemed to be referring specifically to Christmas presents, but the leaflet in my Glossybox was particularly about nearly new (tried once) or new beauty stuff, with the exception of lip gloss and mascara, so I'm guessing it's not too late?? I might check.

I also had a Lola Rose habit. I bought an outrageous amount of stuff from one of her sales a couple of years ago but it's all stuff I still love. I've gone off the recent ranges - nothing seems to grab me lately, which is no bad thing.

Yes, I still love and wear many of my early pieces regularly, too. I've had to force the issue, and didn't watch her last visit. I'm not buying the bangle bar ones any more, and am trying to only get the ones with metal if I particularly love the designs, as they're obviously not guaranteed to last. I think the new sterling silver range is going to price me out of the market. Again, though, probably no bad thing!!

In my Glossybox there was a leaflet for Caroline Hirons' charitable initiative, that is collecting make-up / beauty bits for women escaping domestic abuse, so I'm definitely going to parcel some stuff up. In case anyone else is of an equally excessive nature to myself and is interested, details below:

carolinehirons.com/p/give-and-makeup.html

The first part of that post (above) seemed to be referring specifically to Christmas presents, but the leaflet in my Glossybox was particularly about nearly new (tried once) or new beauty stuff, with the exception of lip gloss and mascara, so I'm guessing it's not too late?? I might check.

I love that idea. It's a great initiative. Thanks for sharing.

I did spot the Advent Calendar chatter/tips in another thread. I'll be sure to pop back there once I've opened it all just so I can suss out how the hell to use all the bits. I vaguely know what's in the calendars I bought, but I wanted a bit of a surprise for Christmas so I've not referred to the LF Advent emails etc.

Re. Lola Rose, I still had to use all my willpower to avoid the Sample Sale they have at their HQ in London. I've managed to pick up some pieces at the QVC Outlets, when I've been that neck of the woods. I've never bought anything full price, though I'm a devil for a bargain.

I love that idea. It's a great initiative. Thanks for sharing.

I did spot the Advent Calendar chatter/tips in another thread. I'll be sure to pop back there once I've opened it all just so I can suss out how the hell to use all the bits. I vaguely know what's in the calendars I bought, but I wanted a bit of a surprise for Christmas so I've not referred to the LF Advent emails etc.

Re. Lola Rose, I still had to use all my willpower to avoid the Sample Sale they have at their HQ in London. I've managed to pick up some pieces at the QVC Outlets, when I've been that neck of the woods. I've never bought anything full price, though I'm a devil for a bargain.

Oh my goodness I'd be lethal at the sample sale!! That's amazing you've never paid full price for any of them, I'm most impressed! :nod: Her site has some great sales. It's always a game of trying to hold your nerve, isn't it, as they keep knocking more and more off, but obviously might sell out in the mean time. My best bargain was a necklace that I'd loved at full price, but wasn't prepared to pay £130(!!) for. I kept checking back every day, and got the maximum 70% reduction in the end, a saving of £91!! I never normally get a bargain, so was chuffed with that. Lola Rose is one of the only things that I started buying from QVC that I still mainly get from them, as they have lots of exclusive styles / colours and get many pieces a long way ahead of everywhere else. The selection in the department stores is woeful. Might have to look into the Sample Sale.. :wink:

I just bought the Lime and Ginger body wash from her new range, Soaper Duper.

It's a reasonably priced eco friendly range that I found in Tesco last week. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm really hoping it's going to replace my Elemis version that I use when I'm feeling the cold as the ginger actually does warm me up.

I love Soap & Glory and Fitflops so I'm hoping this will save me a fortune in my effort to keep warm in the shower in the dead of winter.

Latest posts

Back