Fantastic customer service.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Turandot

Registered Shopper
No not QVC ,John Lewis.

I ordered my Denby crockery in the sale.It arrived 2 days later.Two of the items were smashed.It wasn't packed very well.
I emailed customer service.I received a reply the sme day late in the evening.I received an apology and given a choice of replacement or refund.
I chose replacement. They sent the replacement by express next day service no charge and credited my account £ 20 pounds for my inconvenience . They told me to dispose of the broken items as I wished. Wow,I've never had to deal with them before but they were tops.

I know its a different business model but Q could spend a bit of money updating their CC department.

Last edited:
Clearly John Lewis care about their customers. QVC frankly don't give a toss...

Firms like that make it a pleasure to deal with them.
They appreciate your custom & want you to return. Can you imagine Q telling you to dispose of the broken items, never mind the quick replacement & recompense? They'd more likely think you were lying, or at least make you feel that was what they thought.

I was a actually accused of lying by a QVC CS woman a few years back, I'd received a Balance and Brighten with a thumb print in it and the brush had powder on it, when I told the woman she shouted "no! no! I'm sorry, you must've used it, we don't send used beauty products out!" I calmly had to tell her that yes you do, I've had several used beauty items sent out to me over the years, I also told her why would I lie, seen as though I'm able to send it back under my 30 day mbg anyway? I told her I actually want a replacement down to the thumb print for the same colour, but I'm not prepared to pay return postage down to the fact it wasn't my fault and I'd like a new one that I'd actually paid for, then she point blankly refused so I just sent it back for a refund. QVC are lagging behind in the CS stakes, a 30 day money back guarantee, does not a great American company make.

john lewis are good. my daughters bed did not arrive on time twice sadly she was credited with cash on one visit and vouchers the next...qvc remind me of dodgy mail order catalogues who take the mega pee

They appreciate your custom & want you to return. Can you imagine Q telling you to dispose of the broken items, never mind the quick replacement & recompense? They'd more likely think you were lying, or at least make you feel that was what they thought.
I think it's all down to the fact that the staft have shares in the company, the company does well and they do well. It's a model that works and it shows.

That's what I thought. I thought at least they would ask for a photo but no .I was very surprised.

Last time I dealt with Q over something that was missing from an Origins item ,they were very suspicious and I had to jump through several hoops to attempt to get a replacement .I think I didnt even bother in the end .They kept my cash and I didnt get the missing item.

OK, tin hat on..... the voice of dissent.

I used to adore JLP and for decades never looked anywhere else. I just automatically bought everything for my home there if I possibly could. Until April when I bought a washing machine. They installed it. It didn't work. The hours I had to spend on the phone to them, the number of times I waited for the promised call back which never came, the number of departments which batted away responsibility. It was a total nightmare. Finally they told me to ring the engineers and book a visit which would cost me £70 (refundable but God knows when) to sort it out myself.

My letter of complaint ran for pages and pages, I even asked for living wage costs for the hours I had spent on the phone and laundry costs, LOL. That letter - to all the top bananas- did get a quick response and I accepted the compensation offered. Then a few days later they rang to apologise and offer me compensation..... Talk about arse and elbow. I pointed out this could be why they are in such a pickle, and he sent me some vouchers which came in handy.

My new rule is only to buy stuff you can carry from JLP like towels! I would never buy an electrical appliance from them again. Still I got my new kitchen from a local (expensive sadly!) independent so they lost thousands of business. If you think I am a one off, please go and take a look at Trustpilot. I have read the exact same scenario several times since April and it just shows how their service has diminished. But the grade is not improving so clearly they are doing nothing about it.So many people are like me, saying used JLP for decades, never again so they are losing a loyal set of customers. Apparently they have outsourced their CS so when you ring it is not the shop or JLP call staff, but people who have no idea how the shops run. GRRRRRRR!!

Rant over, sorry about that. But honestly Trustpilot (rating was 1.4, Bad) is a revelation. I was so shocked by the whole thing!

I was talking to a friend who had ordered a new washing machine from John Lewis, paid for fitting as well as removal of old machine. Fitter didn't want to do the job. Found a health and safety reason not to do the job. Didn't do the job.

By contrast, my washing machine experience was excellent. Its a mixed bag and some have problems while others get excellent service.

I did hear that the Service Building in W London which received stock in and handled delivery/installation for a vast area was closed down and there was a lot of resentment. And there were lots of complaints about their service during that period. But I reckon it is systemic rather than based on a change in the process/ disgruntled staff in one area.

I think I saw on a consumer type programme in the last year that they have outsourced some of there customer service.
We had a store open here at the end of 2016, the second day of them being open my friend and I went for coffee it was serve yourself machines, and some of advertised food not available , one till of 2 not working and long queues, this was at 9.30. this store is in area where umpteen resturants/ cafes are opening , so competition is fierce. The rest of the store is really an upmarket version of Argos, as very few departments stock full range though, they have a large click and collect area. I bought a bathroom mirror the other day and commented to an assistant nearby the shelf was very dusty he said we will have to get a cleaner, it was not fine dust it was thick clumps.

I think it is all the call centre CS staff. The ones I speak to are based in Scotland. I thought I was speaking to the shop in Kingston and was surprised all their staff were Scottish! Then it was explained to me that whilst you think you are speaking to someone instore, you are usually put through to the centre in Scotland. So I always check with the operator ... can you put me through to X department in your store please!!!!!

Ah that may explain a problem I had trying to get some extra cushions to match some I had. I was passed from pillar to post - although I thought I had rung the store in question and it would be easy to check stock. I was eventually told someone would check and ring me back, but no one did and I gave up.

I am another who has always bought big purchases from JL. I have mostly had brilliant service, but occasionally they have been inflexible about what they can do. I nearly bought a kitchen from them but they were not willing to cut down some end display shelves to make them fit the space. We went to an independent supplier who had no problems with the small alteration. Thousands of £ lost for JL. They are funny about carpets too and wanted a room completely cleared of heavy furniture whereas my local independent store were happy to work around the two large items.

In store they have been great and often go beyond what they need to do - they replaced an item which we had damaged ourselves, even though we had only gone in to enquire about the manufacturer in order to get a part. They recently replace a tv remote which we had problems with - no questions asked. It would have been a nightmare if we had bought the TV from QVC.

Latest posts

Back