anyone else noticed ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
that fewer garments are being offered with the dreaded sharkbite hem !!!! It seems to have almost disappeared - thank God. Yes there are hi-lo hems with the ridiculous chiffon afterthoughts, but at least the hip-enhancing disasters have had their day.

Now, how long before the hideous cold shoulder goes the same way. Funny isn't it, those least suited are the ones who wear it the most - during the Summer I rarely spotted young girls with slender arms wearing cold shoulder tops, but in the town near to me, I lost count at the number of hefty women with huuuge (and sometimes tattooed) arms showing off the flesh in the least classy way possible. Clearly these females do not own a mirror.

I watch very little Q now but there doesn't seem to be as much Yong Kim on now and a lot in clearance.

Last year it seemed to be YK or Join every time I switched over.

Maybe I've just been lucky!

Yes brissles but what delectable delights will take their places. I shudder at the thought. :screamingpumpkin::michaelmyers::mysmilie_462::mysmilie_854:

QVC is stuck in th 80s! I'm surprised they're not touting leg warmers and A-line skirts.
r

that fewer garments are being offered with the dreaded sharkbite hem !!!! It seems to have almost disappeared - thank God. Yes there are hi-lo hems with the ridiculous chiffon afterthoughts, but at least the hip-enhancing disasters have had their day.

Now, how long before the hideous cold shoulder goes the same way. Funny isn't it, those least suited are the ones who wear it the most - during the Summer I rarely spotted young girls with slender arms wearing cold shoulder tops, but in the town near to me, I lost count at the number of hefty women with huuuge (and sometimes tattooed) arms showing off the flesh in the least classy way possible. Clearly these females do not own a mirror.

My shoulders are my one (and only!) body parts that I like - however I'm too old and plump to get away with that now. I saw a lady today who was 30 stone if she was a pound in a baby pink cold shoulder top today and it wasn't a good look. As I used to be a heavier I know what it was like to try to get clothes to fit and would end up buying nearly anything which would cover my body but even then I knew where to draw the line.

I once bought an M&S top online without noticing it had a shark bite hem (clever!). When I tried it on I could not believe how unflattering it was over my hips. A disaster! Straight back to M&S, and it was a really lovely print too.

QVC seem to be getting a bit more savvy as they are ramping up the seasonal element with the fashion shows. Hopefully that will lead to fewer ancient relics being trotted out with derisory reductions in future.

They need to be thinking of some classic core basics... But that does rely on superb cut and good quality fabrics.

What they, and their stylists need to stop doing is product identical designs from every fashion brand, and telling their customers every style will suit them!

Fussy, over-embellished necklines scream cheap. Hanky, asymmetric, sharkbite and high-low hems also tend to disguise poor cutting and design. Simpler would be more elegant and timeless. QVC's model means they are not going to compete in fast fashion: too expensive, too slow, and not on the right end of most trends.

A sharkbite hem might be good for someone wanting to compensate for narrow hips, but the length and cut of the garment will always be crucial.

Generally I can get better, and better quality, fashion basics from the supermarket. You have to shop QVC fashion very carefully to find something worth the money that can't be bought elsewhere and for less money.

When they have those catwalk shows they have some better items from the likes of Helene Berman but these rarely ever are included in shows which seems to revert to the China warehouse syndrome.

I think Centigrade have upped their game as well. I've bought a few items of theirs in recent weeks and they have all been really good. Not the standard down-filled winter coats. Well made, nice design and thoughtful elements that add to the garments rather than just making them fussy. And at realistic prices too, for once! The likes of Marla Wynne and Join might look ok at times but they're just too pricey for everyday wear. An affordable range of decent basics would do well, I'm sure.

And on the subject of fashion, I do wish QVC would realise that not everyone buying their clothing lines does the school run or works in an office every day!

Thank god the shark bites are going .I noticed a while back much less Yong Kim.I think they reached peak YK/Join.You can only sell so many baggy shapeless clothes.

Must admit I think they are trying to improve and get away from the formulaic polyester shows.Mixing it up a bit.Stll can't stop Michelle Hope with her swishy fish tail skirts .......

However no matter what they do the prices are far too high, the sizing poor and postage is a joke so will never compete with the DHS

When you factor that lot into the budget you could go a step up from normal chain store items whereas with Q you go down to the Peacocks/Primark.

Talking of Primark - I see an article this week saying that the company officially says you pronounce it PRI mark not PRE mark.

It may now be an American company but in it's Irish beginnings as far as I can remember everyone called it PRE mark.

A straw poll on this?

Aaah, I honestly think most women look nice in cold shoulder tops whatever their size or age. I've never worn one because I have a scar on my arm I'd rather keep hidden.

At the risk of contradicting myself about fashion guests, I prefer to have the "look" shows featuring multiple brands. QVC has a few "hidden gem" brands which they never have featured in single-brand shows, as far as I'm aware. Helene Berman is one of these. This could be an ideal way to continue moving away from the oceans of indistinguishable polyester fashion and towards featuring more fashion from British brands and less polyester. They could do an extension by including shape wear for dresses where they only work with smoother, trussed-up bodies beneath them... Or indeed look for some other undergarment brands they could feature as foundation wear for the fashion.

They do need to also be more selective about the stylists they use. Some have no clue how to speak, let alone how to dress.

I sincerely hope the current improvements are not short lived as the fashion shows have been a lot more interesting to watch... And I also hope that we are truly seeing the demise of the sharkbite hem, and that it will swiftly be followed by the pernicious cold shoulder getting the elbow!

I've got to be grateful for the cold shoulder trend....it has stopped me from buying plenty of what would be perfectly good tops if they did not have a hole in them! I've saved a fortune. It's OK on the young and slim but I am neither.

I once bought an M&S top online without noticing it had a shark bite hem (clever!). When I tried it on I could not believe how unflattering it was over my hips. A disaster! Straight back to M&S, and it was a really lovely print too.

How they could sell them saying they made the hip area look better and be believed I'll never know They must be one of the most unflattering styles ever sold!!

How they could sell them saying they made the hip area look better and be believed I'll never know They must be one of the most unflattering styles ever sold!!

Talking of Primark - I see an article this week saying that the company officially says you pronounce it PRI mark not PRE mark.

It may now be an American company but in it's Irish beginnings as far as I can remember everyone called it PRE mark.

A straw poll on this?
I shopped in a store in Tralee many years ago and it was called Penny’s I think they may have been a forerunner of Primark. I came home with lots of towels and t shirts lol. P.S to me it’s always been Pri Mark.

Latest posts

Back