Who loves Alexa?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I can't listen to Lee Holbein for more than a few minutes before I have to lie down in a dark room.Now I am not a techie fanatic & just use what I need in my life like internet for booking trips & shopping so Alexa is not on my horizon.It would drive me MAD asking Alexa this & that.No doubt people love it or is it just a fascination with new technology? Would it be for us single oldies--someone to talk to? (joke!!!)hope that has not been suggested as the 'Robot' sequence on the 'Apprentice' a few weeks ago!

I am planning to record these shows as I have just bought a Fire 10 so thought he might teach me some useful tips about getting the most out of it. Wildly optimistic I know!!!! I usually cannot watch him, indeed I simply cannot follow him. When he bangs on about how he uses his Echo all the time I feel as if we are different species.

Fully agree SF, I love my iPad, have an older iPhone and use a computer in work a lot. The thought of being in conversation with Alexa does not appeal. If I had my time over again I would be a researcher, I love reference books and Google!

I'm giving it a miss, would end up something else to dust or the dogs would go crazy hearing it and attack it !! Hehe
I used to talk to Siri on my iPhone asking silly things , bored one day I asked Siri to ' Marry Me ' ..Siri replied ' I don't think that is appropriate '
I nearly fainted!
( a) .. It answered!
( b) .. I was rejected by a cyberspace robot!!
Alexa & I would probably get into an argument if she was a smart & smug:mysmilie_19:

Nope I don`t want anything which talks. I have that Cortana thing on my laptop but have it disabled. I`m happy with peace and quiet.

My iPhone and iPad does the same, but oh how you've got to laugh at the seriousness in which LH says "Alexa............." as if he's found the answer to world peace whilst performing brain surgery and rocket science. :mysmilie_15:

Nope I don`t want anything which talks. I have that Cortana thing on my laptop but have it disabled. I`m happy with peace and quiet.

Me too, but i know people who have bought the echo and love it, I think some of them find they keep them company, which I suppose is good if you spend a lot of time on your own, but think it would get on my nerves, I ended up buying a sonos on Black Friday as I wanted to just play music, and I think the sound quality is better.
After a day working in a busy office the last thing I want is a speaker talking to me,

I have Alexa linked to my Ocado account and can ask her to put things in my trolley which is quite useful at times. Today she misheard me and seemed quite miffed when I told her to take the item out. The joys of technology.

I misread the title at first. I thought it said "who loves Alex" ...the new girl on QVC Xmas or whatever it is called.....because I do !!! :)

Anyway, I have an echo and find it quite invaluable lately. Settings alarms, timers when cooking, reminders for appointments, and most importantly, reminding me to take my medications. I have been on long term pain meds for quite some time now and they mess with my memory sometimes. Having all these spoken reminders on the Echo is really quite useful in my position. I'd be lost without it now. Plus it is great for quickly just playing quite specific genres of music.

As for Lee on QVC, he is as bad as the so called expert on Idealworld. iPad this and iPad that, as though no other device is anywhere near as capable. Insinuating features of IOS are unique to that platform, when it clearly isn't the case. And how he saves literally thousands buy paying over the top prices for an iPhone 7 and buying just a sim deal. You could save even more by not paying QVC's prices for Apple stuff.

The best bit is when he tells you how easy an iPhone is to use, and even his mum has one can can use it. But then blathers on about the included tech support and the ludicrous so called value of it. If they are so easy to use, why do we need 2 years of 24/7 tech help? :)

Anyway, I digress....I love Alexa, I have a crush on Alex, and I have a thing for Catherine Huntley :mysmilie_50:

Last edited:
Someone kindly bought me an Echo Dot last Christmas.
It's still in the box 11 months later though as I have absolutely no interest in it.

I only play music from my playlist on Alexa and I’ve said before it’s never made clear that you need to enable lots of apps in order for Alexa to answer your questions.

Lee Holbein will never sell me anything, I would think himself and CR went to the same boring/smug presenting school. I have no time for either of them.

Would you buy a̴ ̴u̴s̴e̴d̴ ̴c̴a̴r̴ ANYTHING from this man?

Attachments

• lee ho.jpg
    lee ho.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 110
Someone kindly bought me an Echo Dot last Christmas.
It's still in the box 11 months later though as I have absolutely no interest in it.

You should flog it on E-bay Mr Marple and make a whole load of cash! I wouldn't want that Alexa thing either. One of my cars has a program which talks to me and it drives me mad! Funnily enough I DO like myTomTom satnav and find the voice guidance on it invaluable. I spent ages scrolling through all the different voices and then went back to the default one. I didn't like it at all at first, but now I do like the voice. It's quite comforting when I am in unfamiliar territory. Soon I am going to get a Garmin aviation satnav for use in the plane. I don't believe that has any voice guidance at all - just the visual graphics.

I think it's his Playmobile one. :mysmilie_17:

Its the Piper Warrior PA-28 that I hire. I don't own it. Wish I did, but I don't. But spending £600 on a portable GPS with Euro charts and features is fab as backup. One thing I like about it is that it has taxi diagrams for thousands of airports. It's just a nice thing to have and makes for a better flight.

So long as you don't start relying on it and forget your navigational skills, which are a very important aspect of getting a PPL.

I think I've been in a PA-28 for flying lessons, but the airport closed 6 years ago so that was the end of that (see my motto below).

Latest posts

Back