Blue fire opal?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
Anything special about this stone, apart from the fact that it's rare?

Never heard of it before until I saw it on Rocks&Co. It just looked like a pretty greyish blue stone to me.

Hi Miss Magpie:

You’re correct; beauty, newness and rarity are what make Blue Fire Opal special. The blue debut of Fire Opal is shifting perceptions in play since the time of the Aztecs; namely, Fire Opal is red, orange or yellow.

This blue Brazilian twist on Fire Opal is courtesy of Tony Diniz, one of our resident gem hunters. Look out for Tony live on Rocks & Co. in the coming weeks.

Blue Fire Opal is transparent to semi-translucent with a colour similarity to pastel Tanzanite; pretty icy cool violet-blues to steel blues. It also has occasional opalescence, the milky blue appearance of Opal caused by the reflection of light, which combos nicely with its body colour. We purchased the first significant production of this new gem (December 2007), discovered by sheer chance at the Boca Rica Mine in Brazil’s Piaui State (pronounced: Pee-Ow-Ee). The Piaui State has garnered praise aplenty for its Opals, being compared to those from Australia. With less than 1/10th of a percent of the rough (raw unfinished crystals) mined useable, the monthly output of Blue Fire Opal is sporadic.

Honestly, it is impossible to say how long we’ll be able to source Blue Fire Opal, since its basically accidental production. My advice, secure yours while you can. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Gav

Thanks, Gemstone Gav!

I might get some if I see it in a design I like. I prefer intricate, vintage style settings, with lots of lacy diamond openwork - if I have one big complaint about Rocks&Co, it's that most of the settings are too simple. Of course, I know that a lot of people prefer the simple settings!

We're all different I suppose, but the simple settings are exactly what I love about Rocks&co! There are quite a few other jewellery channels that set their designs with lots of accent diamonds in more elaborate looking pieces, so for me it's so nice to find somewhere with simple designs, although my cc might not agree.

There are quite a few other jewellery channels that set their designs with lots of accent diamonds in more elaborate looking pieces

I wish there were! What I'm really looking for is something like the Vintage 1901 range, but in gold with diamonds instead of marcasite and a greater variety of unusual gems. Rocks&Co please take note!

We're all different I suppose, but the simple settings are exactly what I love about Rocks&co! There are quite a few other jewellery channels that set their designs with lots of accent diamonds in more elaborate looking pieces, so for me it's so nice to find somewhere with simple designs, although my cc might not agree.

I agree with you Jacqualina. I hate when they "guild the Lily"! I think it takes away from the main gemstone if it's covered in embellishments and I'll probably get slagged off for this but in a lot of cases I think it makes the piece look cheap and nasty! Obviously only my opinion and my taste - just as well we all like different things or it would be an even weirder world than it is. Plain, pretty and simple for me every time though.

I have a foot in both camps. I love simple classic designs which this channel do, but also love the fact that if they are embellished, they HAVE to be embellished in lots of diamonds that can be seen with the naked eye, which I have also found here, so all in all Rocks&co work for me - which is why I have two orders on their way to me :blush:

What I can't stand are asymmetrical designs with gnat's doodahs size 'diamonds' or even worse, topaz accents that are all over the place. I just wish I could manage to tune in when the bits I'm really after are aired! :hump:

Still it's lots of fun searching :whistle:

OK, back to the topic of this thread...!

I saw the blue fire opal on the website - I'm pretty sure it was the same one I saw on air for only £10 more than the acution price - so decided to check it out for a look-see anyway. Here's a link for those who are interested:

http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=828 305

Gemstone Gav, is this a good carat weight for a BFO? What's the average carat weight?

Hi Miss Magpie:

Yes, this is a ‘good weight’, certainly around the norm (approx 4 carats), both in terms of colour and size, based on what we’ve seen so far. With the relative newness of the find, so little production coming from the mine and its low rough to finished gem yield, it is impossible to give you an accurate ‘average’ at this time.

I hope this helps and as always, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Gav

Miss M, that looks a beauty. I just missed out on one last night, but I'll keep checking and hope I get one soon. Well done.

Miss M, that looks a beauty. I just missed out on one last night, but I'll keep checking and hope I get one soon. Well done.

What was the setting like on the one you saw, jacqualina? And how much did it go for? Just curious!

Hi Miss Magpie:

Yes, this is a ‘good weight’, certainly around the norm (approx 4 carats), both in terms of colour and size, based on what we’ve seen so far. With the relative newness of the find, so little production coming from the mine and its low rough to finished gem yield, it is impossible to give you an accurate ‘average’ at this time.

I hope this helps and as always, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Gav

And thanks, Gav, for all your help!

It was a slightly more fussy setting than I normally like, but very pretty with an oval stone. It was snapped up immediately at £149.

It was a slightly more fussy setting than I normally like, but very pretty with an oval stone. It was snapped up immediately at £149.

That's ironic - the one I bought is too plain my taste! I think perhaps I'll send it back and wait for something I like better. Can you give me any more details about the design of one you saw on air?

How I wish that Rocks & Co had a personal shopper service like the other channels do. At this rate, I'm going to be buying up blue fire opals and then sending them all back in bulk before 7th January, which can't be good for me or Rocks. It would be sooooo much better if someone could just e-mail me pics of all the blue fire opal designs they have in stock, and I could pick one!

I agree MissM, that would be a great facility. I don't think I can add much more about the design, it came on and was sold within seconds so I'm rather vague on it - I think maybe it was a one of a kind. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi Miss Magpie:

You’re correct; beauty, newness and rarity are what make Blue Fire Opal special. The blue debut of Fire Opal is shifting perceptions in play since the time of the Aztecs; namely, Fire Opal is red, orange or yellow.

This blue Brazilian twist on Fire Opal is courtesy of Tony Diniz, one of our resident gem hunters. Look out for Tony live on Rocks & Co. in the coming weeks.

Blue Fire Opal is transparent to semi-translucent with a colour similarity to pastel Tanzanite; pretty icy cool violet-blues to steel blues. It also has occasional opalescence, the milky blue appearance of Opal caused by the reflection of light, which combos nicely with its body colour. We purchased the first significant production of this new gem (December 2007), discovered by sheer chance at the Boca Rica Mine in Brazil’s Piaui State (pronounced: Pee-Ow-Ee). The Piaui State has garnered praise aplenty for its Opals, being compared to those from Australia. With less than 1/10th of a percent of the rough (raw unfinished crystals) mined useable, the monthly output of Blue Fire Opal is sporadic.

Honestly, it is impossible to say how long we’ll be able to source Blue Fire Opal, since its basically accidental production. My advice, secure yours while you can. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Gav
Hi Gav,
since the 25/10/08 I have placed 4 orders with rocks & co & only received one of them ! Money has been held from my bank account & within a few days has been back in my account.I emailed Rocks & co on the 4th nov about my first two orders not being received & received a email asking me to phone which I did the following day.The lady I spoke to said there was a problem with my card ! I had the funds in the bank so I have no idea what the problem was ! she took my details again & told me if there were any more problems she would let me know,one month on I still have not received my first two orders or received any phone call.I also placed a order two weeks ago I emailed twice on monday 1st Dec GOT A REPLY YESTERDAY (Hi Karen,

I saw your email to the studio and have tracked your order T0811000868.

I have contacted the manager of our warehouse who informs me that they are waiting for a couple of the items to come into stock, in order to complete your order. As soon as it is all ready it will be sent out to you.

I am very sorry for the delay. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Libby Middlehurst

Please could you let me know why you put items for sale when they are not in stock ???
I am very disappoint in your service.The total of my four orders was £1715.80.
I love collecting gems & have been from Gemstv for the last four years your channel had a few gems I had yet to add to my collection & it's great to watch but I am not sure I will be buying from you again.
very disappoint veiwer Gemslover.

COO PROBLEM SOLVING 1
Hi Andrew,
since the 25/10/08 I have placed 4 orders with rocks & co & only received one of them ! Money has been held from my bank account & within a few days has been back in my account.I emailed Rocks & co on the 4th nov about my first two orders not being received & received a email asking me to phone which I did the following day.The lady I spoke to said there was a problem with my card ! I had the funds in the bank so I have no idea what the problem was ! she took my details again & told me if there were any more problems she would let me know,one month on I still have not received my first two orders or received any phone call.I also placed a order two weeks ago I emailed twice on monday 1st Dec GOT A REPLY YESTERDAY (Hi Karen,

I saw your email to the studio and have tracked your order T0811000868.

I have contacted the manager of our warehouse who informs me that they are waiting for a couple of the items to come into stock, in order to complete your order. As soon as it is all ready it will be sent out to you.

I am very sorry for the delay. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Libby Middlehurst

Please could you let me know why you put items for sale when they are not in stock ???
I am very disappoint in your service.The total of my four orders was £1715.80.
I love collecting gems & have been from Gemstv for the last four years your channel had a few gems I had yet to add to my collection & it's great to watch but I am not sure I will be buying from you again.
very disappoint veiwer Gemslover.

Hi gemslover.

Thanks for sending me a PM (as you know we are now in communication)

I assure you we only sell items that we have in stock. What they meant is that they are waiting upon the stock coming up from our London studios as it would have been the last ones in stock that were allocated to you.

These problems won't be an issue once we move premises and have everything all under one roof (call centre, Warehuse, Studio etc, and a new custom software system) This will make everything more streamlined, and be will be able to QC things (Customer Service wise a lot better - you have probably read this on shopping telly)

Again, thanks for contacting me and please accept my apologies for the issues you are having.

Andrew
Rocks & Co. COO

Latest posts

Back